the holy grail...

More
20 Feb 2022 19:59 #235422 by Grotius
Replied by Grotius on topic the holy grail...
Almost the same distro, burn on dvd and run's in a few minutes including your ethercat stuff is working:
sourceforge.net/projects/skynet-software....hybrid.iso/download

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2022 21:27 #235430 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic the holy grail...
from your screen dump, nothing will move until you turn the machine on in  the gui.
If you open halshow (show machine configuration), look under pins in the tree.
Is there a section for cia402 and lcec? (cia402 might not be there without a drive in your xml.)
if you open that tree, you should find your beckhoff devices. They should be there.

Is there any errors reported in the terminal window you opened linuxcnc with?
Other than that post your config as Dominic requested.

The cia402 side appears to be the same as rtelligent.

More
22 Feb 2022 11:24 #235510 by Padstar
Replied by Padstar on topic the holy grail...
i'll give this a go.. and see how i get on...

in answer to Rodw's question ... when i try and get the machine on in the GUI. the ethercat statuses dont change...

and i can see the lcec pins of the hal .. but it wont let me change the status... it just errors, or does nothing.. :-(

More
22 Feb 2022 12:08 #235513 by rodw
Based on that, I would look at your servo drive for any estop settings. I got caught with that with my drives as I had connected a signal to the estop input.. If you have any inputs or outputs attached, remove them.

More
22 Feb 2022 12:13 #235514 by Padstar
i know exactly how that feels as i've had it with an Omron unit i once used on a project... i'll check the savch manual... but i'm sure its not disabled... and it works from the pc config app, so i know its alive and well.. so its just getting it working under linuxcnc control

More
22 Feb 2022 12:28 #235516 by db1981
Replied by db1981 on topic the holy grail...
sorry,

but you are on the "wood way" . a few steps to far in the future ...

Linuxcnc, estop is all stuff on the top layer, for this the base has to work.

The Base System is the ethercat realtime layer. Linuxcnc, Axis, hal are only the environment to start lcec_conf for the setup and after this the two realtime function.

etherlabmaster / linuxcnc-ethercat is a standalone system for his own, that has to work.

first you slaves have to reach the op state, and there have to be values on the receiving pdos. And then a long way after that you can think about enabling the drives etc..

So first your Beckhoff devices have to reach op state and have to communicate . If this is working, you will know that linuxcnc-ethercat and the master are functional. Next step would be to get the drive to communicate ...

so please post config files, to get rid of the actuall error.
The following user(s) said Thank You: arvidb

More
22 Feb 2022 12:39 #235519 by rodw

sorry,

but you are on the "wood way" . a few steps to far in the future ...

Linuxcnc, estop is all stuff on the top layer, for this the base has to work.

Thats not actually the case with my drives and I got caught with using an input pin on the drive that had been set to Emergency Stop type in the XML (Actually was the default so XML did not need to include it.) When the input was enabled, behaviour was similar to the OP's problem. It cost me a lot of time. But I did learn how to disable drives on an estop :)

More
22 Feb 2022 12:42 #235521 by db1981
Replied by db1981 on topic the holy grail...
my post was related to padstar. His standart beckhoff devices are not getting op, so there is an error with the master or the installation of lcec.

More
23 Feb 2022 21:17 #235651 by Padstar
I'm back... and seems that the fresh install from the ISO out of the box does have a lot more preinstalled...

but with it not wanting to allow me to configure it with the current instructions... and i want to test my documentation again, i'm going to go back to the official iso from the linuxcnc downloads page..

now the note about the beckhoff items not working, clearly is 100% valid... and indeed this is somehow because the ethercat and the LCEC bit is not working correctly...

I was just recalling an experience with RodW about an Omron drive i commissioned into a Codesys environment, and the drive needed to have the default config altered to allow it to be controlled over ethercat... and it was the Estop function that had to be altered.. (it was like the drive was dead on the network port untill this was changed.. ) it was just an FYI... I know the area i need to keep digging...

thanks

Pb..

More
23 Feb 2022 21:27 #235653 by rodw
I suspect if you are using the Grotius ISO that you need to start the ethercat service.
I had some issues getting it to start on powerup. Grotius suggested to do this with cron which did not work so I ended up giving myself permissions to use sudo without a password and adding the command to my .profile in the home directory.

The command to use is documented in this thread forum.linuxcnc.org/ethercat/44969-can-t-...erlabmaster-deb-file.
The good news is I have almost fully completed my build....

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds