Ignore Limits option grayed out

More
08 Jan 2023 16:43 #261277 by jrbloom
I know this thread is old, but I am seeing the same problem with gmoccapy v3.1.3.8...

I have the same catch-22, that if an axis is already on a limit at startup, I cannot switch the machine on - "Could not switch the machine on, is the limit switch activated?". But the Jogging panel is disabled (along with 'Ignore Limits'), and so I cannot jog off the limit switches.

In my case cycling the software eStop has no effect.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2023 17:41 #261285 by HansU
This should be fixed in Gmoccapy 3.4.0 (LinuxCNC 2.9, not yet released)

More
08 Jan 2023 18:38 #261292 by jrbloom
Great news. Thanks for the quick reply.

More
27 Apr 2023 00:17 #270021 by Geosec
I see this is likely to be addressed in an upcoming release...
I'll just report the behavior I'm seeing too in case it's of any use for fixing the bug.
My mill has a MESA card, lcnc 2.8.4, gmoccapy 3.1.3.8. There's a limit switch (proximity sensors actually) for each axis, 6 in total. Plus a homing switch for each axis (3).
I find the limit switches and the <Ignore Limits> check box seems to work OK if the machine is NOT homed. For example I run the Y axis all the way back, to the Y- Limit and the limit fault is triggered. Ticking the Ignore Limits box allows me to turn the machine back on and move off the limit switch, at which time the Ignore Limits check box is automatically cleared, and I can repeat this process if desired.

Once I HOME the mill the behavior changes. Running the Y axis all the way back to the Y- Limit and the limit fault is triggered as it should. Ticking the Ignore Limits box allows me to turn the machine back on and move off the limit switch, but the check box is not automatically cleared. It's greyed out (disabled) and can't be toggled. Moving the Y axis back onto the limit switch removes the greyed out condition and allows me to uncheck the ignore limits box. With the Y axis sitting on the limit switch, and the machine still on, and the ignore limits unchecked, I can move the Y axis off of the limit switch (or onto it) at will. The mill will still ignore the limit switch even with the Ignore Limits unchecked. Cycling the E-Stop has no effect for me. The Ignore Limits option goes from greyed out off the limit switch to available when on the limit switch, but has no effect, the mill ignores the limit switch. Closing LinuxCNC and restarting restores operation.

More
27 Apr 2023 00:24 #270022 by rodw
The limit switches should be outside the available travel and should never be hit unless something goes very wrong.
If you have a shared home/limit switch, moving the axiss off the limit with a HOME_OFFSET as part of your homing sequence will prevent limit switch error being triggered as it comes out of homing. A couple of simple tweaks will probably fix your issues.

More
27 Apr 2023 00:49 - 27 Apr 2023 00:57 #270025 by Geosec
I don't have shared home/limit.
You are correct however. I just realized that my Y- limit switch is inside my available travel. This happened because on the new install of LinuxCNC I did today (2.8.4), I updated my available travel to match what the axis could actually do. About an additional 1/4 inch is all. That was enough to trip the Y- limit which I haven't moved back yet.
I completely forgot about the extended travel.
Sorry, my bad.
Thanks for catching that!

Edit: Just moved the limit switch back 0.1" now all's working as it should.
Thanks again.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2023 00:57 by Geosec.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
27 Apr 2023 06:52 #270040 by HansU

Ticking the Ignore Limits box allows me to turn the machine back on and move off the limit switch, but the check box is not automatically cleared

However this should be fixed in 2.9. If you find the time and try the 2.9 version I would appreciate your feedback.

More
27 Apr 2023 12:43 - 27 Apr 2023 12:44 #270064 by Geosec
I'm still learning the basics of Linux and LinuxCNC, but I'll definitely try it out on 2.9 once the .ISO becomes available (any idea when?).
Otherwise, if I find the time, I'll go through the (educational) process of installing Linux and 2.9 from scratch; I see Rod made a pretty nice guide (Thanks Rod!). I need to figure it out eventually anyway.

Edited for typo.

Last edit: 27 Apr 2023 12:44 by Geosec.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
27 Apr 2023 15:50 - 27 Apr 2023 17:18 #270068 by HansU
Rods guide is quite detailed (that's good!), so it looks more complicated at first sight than it is. So don't hesitate ;-)
Last edit: 27 Apr 2023 17:18 by HansU.

More
27 Apr 2023 16:42 #270070 by rodw

Rods guide is quite detailed (that's good!), so it looks more complicated than it is at first sight. So don't hesitate ;-)

Yeh, thats the problem. As soon as you document something like that step by step it seems to go on forever!

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds