Another plasma component...

More
09 Jan 2019 05:42 - 11 Jan 2019 06:31 #123811 by phillc54
I have pushed an example config for Gmoccapy which is still a work in progress.
It appears under Gmoccapy in the Configuration Selector.
I am not sure about SpinButtons as I do not have a touchscreen so I am not sure what are the correct widgets to use.
github.com/phillc54/linuxcnc-plasmac
Warning: Spoiler!

Cheers, Phill
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Jan 2019 06:31 by phillc54.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sevaz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2019 06:19 #123812 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Another plasma component...
Looks nice Phil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
27 Jan 2019 14:01 - 27 Jan 2019 14:03 #124968 by sevaz
Replied by sevaz on topic Hights problem
Hello! Plasma component looks really nice! IMHO it's a big improvement in the process of cnc plasma integration into a LinuxCNC world since Toma THC. Tests in simulation show that everything works fine, however sometimes i've got an error "Material too high for safe traverse program is stopped..." So i've tried to look through the Plasmac source code, but still can not understand what is the reason for a such kind of behaviour.
Info:
I've git cloned phillc54/plasmac repo, and then compiled it as a RIP package as well as a deb. Then i've tried both versions of debian - wheezy and stretch, but still nothing.

And one more question. As i'm also tried to connect pins to a real machine, i am also keep getting error messages "bottom limit reached
while THC moving down program is stopped......"
and it doesn't matter NC or NO is the switch. It's probably connected with the problem mentioned above, because it also includes a Probe Switch Handler logic.
What am i doing wrong?
Last edit: 27 Jan 2019 14:03 by sevaz.

More
27 Jan 2019 20:47 #124988 by rodw
This is just a guess as I've not used this yet but I suspect you may need to touch off the Z axis manually in the MDI with G92 Zx where x is the material height. Think of this as part of your axis configuration.

eg. Jog down until probe switch is triggered , then jog up until it turns off them do the G92. I just watch the light on my probe proximity sensor when doing this from my wireless pendant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, sevaz

More
27 Jan 2019 22:42 #124993 by tommylight
From 01.02.2019 i have resigned from the post of general manager at the factory i was working, i will continue to work there part time so i will have more time for this. I have a 4x2 meter Plasma cnc there that i have built but it will be busy for the next 4 months with very little down time for me to play with.
In the mean time i will continue to build and document the machines that are mentioned in this thread:
forum.linuxcnc.org/plasma-laser/35349-op...ea-and-a-lot-of-info
with the addition of a rotary axis that can be added to any of the above.
In the mean time, if anyone has the time and energy to investigate the possibility of adding the square and rectangular tube cutting to the gcodetools for Inkscape or NativeCam (Nick, i am looking at you ! :) ), please do give it a try.
From my experience, that thc_toma config ( again, i did not program all of it ) coupled with a Proma THC150 will put to shame most of the commercial machines costing many thousands of $, so adding this config coupled with mesa THCAD should make it go far beyond that, controlling the current from LinuxCNC on cheap Plasma current sources would get it nearly to Hypertherm level of automation.
I for one am not willing to give up on this, as the resignation from a very well paid job proves it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, Clive S, rodw, sevaz

More
27 Jan 2019 23:34 #124994 by rodw
Tommy, best of luck. Its shame the Proma 150 has such a poor reputation in the Mach3 world. I don't think that reputation is deserved.

I suspect his has been driven by one of its competitors and crappy performance from Mach3. Tell me does the Proma 150 have relays for its signals inside? I've heard it said it is held back by slow relays but I don't believe this is correct.

As far as a rotary axis goes, its rather simple on tube where it does not need a THC as the torch height is fixed above the tube and more complex on square/rectangular sections but you need a THC to lift the torch over the corners as they rotate.

You need to think in terms of folding the tube out flat and then it becomes a simple XY job. This coping calculator shows how this is done. I tested this years ago and it is possible to get highly accurate results with a cardboard template and an angle grinder! 90 degrees is easy but 45 degrees results in a deeper notch which is hard to get right. Sheetcam has a module for a wrapped rotary axis....

I think in time, Proma's biggest competitor might become a functioning LinuxCNC system.. Anyway I'm off to play on my machine this morning and to try a few ideas... and get a voltage feed into LinuxCNC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
28 Jan 2019 01:46 #124998 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Hights problem

material too high for safe traverse program is stopped...

Should only occur if the probe was tripped above the safe minimum distance below the Z axis maximum limit.
Safe minimum distance is equal to pierce-height plus 1mm (pierce-height plus 0.039 inch).

bottom limit reached while THC moving down program is stopped......

Should only occur if the Z axis would reach the Z axis minimum limit during a THC directed move.

Cheers, Phill.

More
28 Jan 2019 01:54 - 28 Jan 2019 06:40 #125000 by phillc54

rodw wrote:
This is just a guess as I've not used this yet but I suspect you may need to touch off the Z axis manually in the MDI with G92 Zx where x is the material height. Think of this as part of your axis configuration.

I don't think it matters where the Z axis is touched off as all Z axis moves are done using offsets.
It probably does look better in the preview (if in perspective view) if touchoff is done to the the top of the stock but in all my testing I only ever touched off once and that was 10mm below the Z axis maximum limit.
There should be NO Z axis moves in the gcode file.

Cheers, Phill.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2019 06:40 by phillc54.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
01 Feb 2019 00:22 #125444 by tommylight
Got some time this evening to set up a test environment, so far consisting of a 6i25 and a 7i77, will add the THCAD and a 7i84 tomorrow, wire the switches to simulate breakaway and float switch etc etc. 7i84 is there just in case i mess up something ( i very rarely do ) with inputs and outputs.
Got my screens working properly and Linuxcnc on 64 bit Preempt-RT (again :) ) so now i need to make some time to get on with it.
BTW, here is the link to how Linuxcnc looks on that setup

forum.linuxcnc.org/51-ot-posts/35943-pro...reenshot-ever#125441

Regards,
Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
01 Feb 2019 04:24 #125450 by phillc54

tomylight wrote:
BTW, here is the link to how Linuxcnc looks on that setup

That screen is AWESOME...

Cheers, Phill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds