The blacksmith's plasma table

More
12 Apr 2024 11:06 #298058 by tommylight

I have seen many issues using usb/phone chargers

That is very true, especially cheap china ones, they do anything from 4.2 to 6.8V without load and lack filtering, and some pose danger to life if wires are touched.
I used Samsung originals, never had issues, but i can not find them anymore.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2024 14:12 - 15 Apr 2024 14:39 #298284 by polskleforgeron
So today I installed MX Linux on the PC I had, and manage to install LinuxCNC and have the computer recognize the Mesa card. I followed this tutorial : forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...indows-users?start=0 by snowgoer540

I'm not too sure what I did thought. I could'nt find the qtplasmac option under "by_machine" in the linuxCNC configuration, only under the "sim" category. I'm not too sure what it means, is it a simulation of a real machine ?.

I also had to edit the .ini file to change the "USER_M_PATH" because I kept having an error about some M190 file which couldn't be found and caused linuxCNC to crash. The error message told me that this file existed in another path so I just changed it for the one with the file in it and It worked.

I'm not too sure what's the next step now. I'd like to try the 3 axis movement without the THCAD nor the plasma connected. Is it possible ? Should I make a new configuration in linuxCNC unrelated to plasma cutting just to test my motors ?

I'm still waiting for some shielded cable and different colors cable and I can start this machine for the first time :)
Last edit: 15 Apr 2024 14:39 by polskleforgeron.

More
15 Apr 2024 20:56 #298311 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic The blacksmith's plasma table
As a newcomer, there is something to be said to make a basic config using axis. But if your machine is complicated, it might be a waste of time
You can build a qtplasmac config using pncconf

More
16 Apr 2024 08:28 - 17 Apr 2024 13:12 #298346 by polskleforgeron
Thank you for your answer. On the qtplasmac documentation it says to not try to configure it if the base machine isn't done. I understand it as you need all the wiring (with the THC) to be done before trying anything. But maybe I'm not understanding it well ? My question is, can I build a qtplamac config just to try my 3 axis (with a slaved motor for the Y, so 4 stepmotor YYXZ) without the THC and the plasma ? Since it's the first time I'm ding something like that I'd like to go step by step. I'm sorry I dont always understand your answer well because of the language.

edit : okay I found the answer there :
Last edit: 17 Apr 2024 13:12 by polskleforgeron.

More
16 Apr 2024 09:01 - 16 Apr 2024 10:07 #298347 by polskleforgeron
I've started my own wiring diagram that I'll update. I'm posting it here so one can tell me if I do something wrong. Right now i've just draw the wiring for the drivers (just one but they are all on the same 36v 17A alimentation and wired the same way).

I'm not sure I fully understand the difference between ground and earth. As I understand it I need to connect the machine structure and the alimentation to the earth, and I need a common ground (not connected to the earth) for everything else (which I draw in black on the drawing). The common ground acting as a base voltage reference for all the electronic, and the earth is there for safety in case I have accidental high power connecting to the frame of the machine.

Does it seems right to you ? 

Additionaly, I realize the Stamos plasma I wanted to buy doesn't have an arcOK signal build in. I know @tommylight told me it's possible to generate one with a reed relay. The other alternative is the Hynade Plasma, it has quite a lot of shipping cost to the EU. I'm not to sure which one to buy. Is the reed relay thing reliable and easy to set-up ?

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Apr 2024 10:07 by polskleforgeron.

More
18 Apr 2024 15:50 #298565 by polskleforgeron
Today I've started to assemble the electric pannel :

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
25 Apr 2024 08:53 - 25 Apr 2024 08:54 #299052 by polskleforgeron
Slowly but steadily I'm wiring everything I need for the first test : limit switches and Y and X motors (the Z axes will be configured later with the THCAD wired in).

All the shield of the shielded cables that goes outside the box have a ground connection through the aviator connectors casing and the frame. There is room for a fifth axis If I want to add a tube cutting option later. There is 4 hole left on the left side for 2G aviator connector (emergency stop and the connection to THCAD-2 and Mesa 7i96s once I start to wire the plasma).

I feel a bit more confident now that I've started all the wiring about this THC thing.

Could someone confirm that I need :
- access to the arc voltage (which will be 1:1 ratio), to the THCAD-2 through a 2.5MOhm resistor on the negative wire
- a way to start and stop the plasma through a normal relay (via the Mesa 7i96s)
- an arcOk signal which I can access through a reed relay with the torch cable wraped three time around it (signal also read by the Mesa 7i96s) 

I'm still wondering about the Stamos or the Stahlwerk, maybe it could be worth it to try with the sthalwerk I already own now that I understand the electronic better...

I'm really enjoying this part, the machine starts to look like a real thing. I'm going slow because I'm always waiting for connectors or cable I forgot to order and I want to do it right from the begining because I know myself : if it works I will never go back to finish it cleanly.

Some pictures (if someone see a blattant mistake dont hesistate to tell me please :) ): 

Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Apr 2024 08:54 by polskleforgeron.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds