Photos

More
26 Feb 2022 22:28 #235883 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Photos
Question, how is your machine so clean??? :)
Also what Rod said, i might have to buy a new plasma source, some china Kzubr with 100A plastered all over it for 600 Euro, and it comes with such a torch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dvn4life1972

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2022 13:44 - 27 Feb 2022 15:19 #235913 by Jflesburg
Replied by Jflesburg on topic Photos
The torch holder? LOL! My torch is a Hypertherm T30V. It is just a 30 AMP unit that they claim won't work with CNC, but there are spots directly on the circuit board for external switching, and the THC was easily integrated into the board as well. I'd love to upgrade the plasma for thicker material, but for now it is what it is and it cuts the prototype parts out amazingly well. I thank the whole community that has worked so hard to offer the support for this open source project using free or very affordable software. I'm actually beginning to like Linux.

I cheated on my table.  I bought the table with slats from JEGS for $150, and added my x-y-z and modified the table to accept a stainless water pan.  It's a bit small, but when I started this project, I didn't have a huge area to store it and I wasn't convinced how useful it would be and figured that if it worked out and I wanted to, I could scale it up.  Scaling up would be easy with the control panel I built along with all the learning in building this one.

My hand torch has a 1" (or really close to it) collar, and as I sat there contemplating how best to make a holder that would allow consistent and firm holding while also allow quick detachment so I can still use the torch by hand, I looked at my bench and there sat some rifle scope rings. I dug through my stuff and found a short section of rail, and a 1" ring and my torch holder was complete!

I do need to incorporate a magnetic break-away so I don't destroy the torch or machine. The reason (as I found out) being that if the torch travels over a section of sheet metal that has fallen through into the water table slats, the torch can get caught on the edge of the sheet that is still there and it will drag the sheet around as the torch moves. (Luckily, I was there and an E-Stop stopped the excitement).

Here is a picture of the riflescope ring.  I hadn't seen anyone else try this, but it has worked for me.  One day, I might try to create a machine torch, but at the same time, it's sometimes handy to use the torch by hand.

Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Feb 2022 15:19 by Jflesburg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, thefabricator03

More
27 Feb 2022 13:46 #235914 by Jflesburg
It's virtually new, and I used a stainless steel water pan and slat supports. I'm certain it will get dirty when I use it more.

More
27 Feb 2022 14:14 #235920 by tommylight
Oh, OK i have the similar torch, i have an old Max 43 from Hypertherm waiting for nozzles, electrodes and the cup.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, CNCFred

More
27 Feb 2022 18:38 #235938 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Photos
Thanks for that. its a great idea and a very reasonably priced solution. I'll be checking dimensions for the 45xp torch...  :)
A pair of rings can be bought on aliexpress for < AUD $5 delivered...

More
27 Feb 2022 18:46 #235940 by tommylight
Dang i need bigger glasses, just looked again, it is a picatinny rail, for gun sights/lights ! :)
That is sooo cool and sooo useless here, it costs about 100 Euro for a 10CM long piece of rail only ! And the risk of a visit from the friendly Police forces!
I looked into manufacturing those, did not go well, corrupt government and such ...
Still a very good idea as the height can be easily changed even on the fly.

More
27 Feb 2022 18:54 #235942 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Photos
The dovetail would actually be very easy to machine.

To finish it off, Keith Fenner has something similar and uses two  spring loaded pins instead of magnets for a breakaway.
turnwrightmachineworks.com/the-pop-a-way-by-keith-fenner/

So there is the makings of a very cheap and effective mount here :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: CNCFred

More
27 Feb 2022 19:39 #235943 by tommylight
Photos, we have to post photos here, i can imagine Phill getting red ... :)
Since i have nothing here right now, check my instagram stuff
@toma.cnc
@toma.pc
@toma.3d
I have to find a sane way of posting them here also, oh yes and youtube
www.youtube.com/channel/UC1NcIaEIZ9DwXdU0B4nMLRw/videos
and
www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqovQ0ssiHAHsb9qOOEP7A/videos
The following user(s) said Thank You: CNCFred

More
05 Mar 2022 22:50 #236463 by Jflesburg

The dovetail would actually be very easy to machine.

To finish it off, Keith Fenner has something similar and uses two  spring loaded pins instead of magnets for a breakaway.
turnwrightmachineworks.com/the-pop-a-way-by-keith-fenner/

So there is the makings of a very cheap and effective mount here :)

I had the ring and rail just sitting on my bench so I used it.  I forget sometimes that this may not be part of everyones spare bits just lying about the shop.  My apologies.

However, as far as break-away, I've been considering something equally inexpensive and repeatable.  The spring loaded threaded ball plungers are cheap enough, and stout enough to hold a torch, but allow it to break away in case of a crash, and being threaded, are adjustable to ones needs.  This is what I'm looking at and they are reasonably priced to boot.  One could mount a limit switch or proximity sensor to whatever block these are mounted to.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
08 May 2022 23:24 - 08 May 2022 23:33 #242333 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Photos
Thought I would share a few pics/videos of a sign I had the opportunity to make to be given as a wedding gift.

Cut out on the table:

Painted and drying in front of the fire: 

Video of the machine doing its job:
Warning: Spoiler!

Screen recording of QtPlasmaC during the cut:
Warning: Spoiler!
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 May 2022 23:33 by snowgoer540.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, tommylight, Clive S, thefabricator03, CNCFred, RNJFAB

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds