Linux Mint - PlasmaC upgrade confusion

More
04 Sep 2020 18:58 #180731 by Mud
I disabled everything I could, and currently on Mint 19.1 with the 4.9 kernel the ping is around 0.13ms (pic attached). I'm still getting joint errors though. I've attached a grab of interfaces for an idiot-check.

I also have a Realtek NIC in a PCI bay - is it worth swapping over the NICs?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2020 19:06 #180733 by PCW
Are you getting "error finishing read" errors?

More
04 Sep 2020 19:09 #180735 by Mud
Yes, I screen-grabbed one on the first page.

More
04 Sep 2020 19:12 - 04 Sep 2020 19:18 #180736 by PCW
I mean after your changes

BTW you can get some information on whether this is a latency
related issue by looking at the maximum times of all the functions:

halcmd show param *.tmax
Last edit: 04 Sep 2020 19:18 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mud

More
04 Sep 2020 19:20 #180738 by Mud
The last error I got was a joint one, but for a time it seemed random which error I got. I've turned it off for the night now, but I'll try halcmd tomorrow :)

More
04 Sep 2020 20:28 #180747 by BeagleBrainz
If you are interested the Mint 19.2 ISO has it own repository that has updated packages uploaded once a week.
The only issue is that you need to update the key for the repo as the stupid dev lost the password for the original one.
As far is known the kernel on the ISO has pretty good latency.
Just an option if you are interested.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mud

More
05 Sep 2020 06:56 #180783 by Mud

I mean after your changes

BTW you can get some information on whether this is a latency
related issue by looking at the maximum times of all the functions:

halcmd show param *.tmax

I ran the latency histogram (admittedly could have given it more stick/time), but it appears solid. Halcmd is pointing the finger at hm2_7i96.0.read and servo-thread (second table is after it threw a joint 3 following error).

I'm tempted to use the 19.2 ISO for a known clean foundation, unless you have any ideas :)
Attachments:

More
06 Sep 2020 02:45 #180887 by rodw

The last error I got was a joint one, but for a time it seemed random which error I got. I've turned it off for the night now, but I'll try halcmd tomorrow :)

Its possible you just need to increase the max velocity and max acceleration settings in your ini file. Open it with a texxt editor and read the comments. THey say they should be 25% larger than your actual max values, but sometimes a bit more seems to help.

More
06 Sep 2020 03:54 - 06 Sep 2020 03:55 #180892 by PCW
Unless you can find the source of the long Ethernet read times you may have to run at a 500 Hz
(2 ms) servo thread rate. My first guess of the cause is that AMT is not disabled
Last edit: 06 Sep 2020 03:55 by PCW.

More
06 Sep 2020 09:26 #180919 by Mud

Its possible you just need to increase the max velocity and max acceleration settings in your ini file. Open it with a texxt editor and read the comments. THey say they should be 25% larger than your actual max values, but sometimes a bit more seems to help.

I tried this, but it didn't make a difference.

Unless you can find the source of the long Ethernet read times you may have to run at a 500 Hz
(2 ms) servo thread rate. My first guess of the cause is that AMT is not disabled

I did disable MEBx (which took some faffing), so I think AMT is off.

I tried a 2ms servo and if anything it seemed worse (attached)...perhaps just because it got to bigger values before erroring out. I initially doubled the P values but this would make it trip immediately. With P at 1000 it seemed fine homing and jogging, but I was getting some other error where it wouldn't run g code (apologies for not noting this error...red mist descending at that point and additional unknowns of newer software).

I'm trying to clean install the known Mint 19.2 now...just struggling with old PC problems (no USB boot, no PS2 keyboards around, incompatibility with thumb drives, no DVD-Rs around...gah...).
Attachments:

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds