User Install for Probe Basic Py3 (For Machine Control)

More
29 Apr 2023 11:36 #270199 by ihavenofish
yes please. i used this one and am having as little trouble.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2023 14:06 #270207 by Lcvette
I am not sure I understand your meaning @tommylight

More
29 Apr 2023 14:10 #270208 by ihavenofish
i think he means there are multiple conflicting instructions.

I followed what is in the first post of this thread, and nothing is working. i get this error:

X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)

probe basic also done not show up in pncconf as an option for ui.

More
29 Apr 2023 15:06 #270211 by Lcvette
There are multiple installation types, each required for different aspects. I think we can remove the py2 version rom the sticky because that is not going to be maintained any longer, its too much for our small team to have to keep up with the changing requirements and outdated dependencies that become deprecated for the python2 branch.

Probe Basic will not show up in pncconfig and isn't available as part of the main linuxcnc installation because it wasn't allowed to be part of Linuxcnc based on Chris Morley's objections. So we are forced to maintain the installation method on our own. This would not be an issue if it were to become part of the linuxcnc repository. if you would like probe basic to be easier to install and maintain, please voice your opinions with the developers.

More
29 Apr 2023 15:17 #270212 by ihavenofish
At the moment I would like it to install at all.

Your instructions in this thread are incomplete as far as I can tell. there are missing steps.

I don't mind terribly that it is separate, but right now its a mystery which is a problem. :)

Is there a full list of instructions from start to finish?

More
29 Apr 2023 15:37 - 29 Apr 2023 15:40 #270213 by Lcvette
did you download the readme file as per the instructions? it gives you step by step installation instructions on how to install. I just installed this earlier today on a test pc and it worked without complaint.

the readme docs are also incorporated into the probe basic web page here:

kcjengr.github.io/probe_basic/quick_start.html

NOTE*** when installing the deb file be sure to use the file name downloaded:

sudo dpkg -i name_of_the_file_here.deb
Last edit: 29 Apr 2023 15:40 by Lcvette.

More
29 Apr 2023 16:07 #270216 by ihavenofish
i did everything in that read me.

as mentioned i get this error when starting up linuxcnc and choosing the default probe basic config.

X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)

And of course it is not in pncconf, so that is obviously "not working without complaint" - you have missed the steps where you actually add it to linuxcnc. I do now see another thread about configs, which seems to be dealing with that. That REALLY needs to be part of that read me. How is anyone supposed to know to look for that?

But we still have that error to deal with.

More
29 Apr 2023 19:47 - 29 Apr 2023 19:59 #270230 by Lcvette
As explained it will not be in pncconfig because it was not allowed to be part of Linuxcnc repository.  meaning for it to be in pncconfig they would have to roll it in and then it would be installed the same as axis, gmocapy, touchy etc... As an end user you have as much power over that as I do. so that complaint should be brought to the linuxcnc devs to allow it in, maybe if enough complain it will get traction. :)

As for this comment: "And of course it is not in pncconf, so that is obviously "not working without complaint" "

maybe consider I do this on my own time with no compensation, which is fine, but snarkyness is typically not a great motivator to offer help.  being this is an open source project, perhaps consider donating your time to help make the instructions better. Many hands make light work.

As for the error, there is a sticky that explains how to best propose your issue, if you provide an error message with no additional context it is rather difficult to know what may be the problem.  I just installed it again and no issues so there is something not happy with your current system.  below is the excerpt from the sticky, fill it out and post it up so we can have a look.

"Hey All,

Many of the questions we get are difficult to answer without certain information about your installation. To better help you and to get help faster it is in your best interest to copy, paste and supply answers to the following information in your thread.

- What Linux OS being used including kernel type?

- What version of Linuxcnc is installed?

- What version of QtPyVCP and Probe Basic is installed?

- How did you install Probe Basic? Quick Start guide? Dev Guide?

- Have you gone through your ini and hal files and compared to the sim config files to make any changes needed?

- Have you added all of the necessary files in your config folder that probe basic needs to run?

- Have you tested the sim version to see if the problem exists there also? (if the sim functions properly, it is a good indicator your issue is in your config)

- Add specific details and circumstances surrounding the issue or your question. The more details the better!

If you copy and paste this into your thread topic I suspect your resolution will either be found on your own or you will receive much quicker answers instead of a series of additional questions!

Thanks for helping us help you!

Chris"
Last edit: 29 Apr 2023 19:59 by Lcvette.

More
29 Apr 2023 21:18 #270237 by ihavenofish
Thanks

Didn't meant to come off as demanding of service. Just stating the obvious that there are missing steps in the instructions to get to the end result of a working system. There is a common theme with linuxcnc in general of "oh we just assumed you knew to do that". We CNC people are dummies, best to assume we can barely dress ourselves. :)

Just one line of "now, you are ready to create a config, please visit here:" would suffice.

As for the error, I have literally just followed the instructions line by line. I installed linux debian 12 alpha based on the link provided buy Rodw. Then the linuxcnc install in read me, and everything afterward. Nothing less and nothing more. I will try it fresh from scratch again, but there really is not any extra context to give.

Thanks

More
29 Apr 2023 21:30 - 29 Apr 2023 22:00 #270239 by ihavenofish
Actually, you say sim version. I assumed that meant the version I see when I launch linuxcnc, but it seems maybe I have no sim version in that menu. hmm. I'm going to redo this from scratch and see of I broke something on the way.

(for the record, axis sim opens up just fine as expected)

edit: Ok, checked the config folder and I do see "sim" things in there. So something is just broken / not installed right
Last edit: 29 Apr 2023 22:00 by ihavenofish.

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.344 seconds