Robertspark's CNC Setup

More
27 May 2022 10:38 #243976 by robertspark
Replied by robertspark on topic Robertspark's CNC Setup
no problem happy to help, at least you have a working config.

I'd suggest making a backup to usb of everything as a disk clone so you can always restore quickly if needed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2022 14:23 #243989 by tripwire
Replied by tripwire on topic Robertspark's CNC Setup
Yeah, I'm giving timeshift a try. This is suppose to take snapshots of the entire system so you can return to previous states. Seems like a wrapper around rsync.

A few questions, just for my own understanding, when you have the time:

Is there a reason why the installation of libeditreadline-dev is separate from the installation of the other debs?

What is the purpose of editing the lightdm.conf file?

Does the probe basic installation work in this context (python3)? (I believe I saw you post that it almost works...)

Thanks.

More
27 May 2022 14:44 #243992 by robertspark
Is there a reason why the installation of libeditreadline-dev is separate from the installation of the other debs?

>>> no idea, I just know that my install was not happy having it in the previous line.... hence I did the large bunch and then just did that one next and it worked.

What is the purpose of editing the lightdm.conf file?

>>> Its so the machine automatically logs on with your user name and you dont need to logon..... upto you..... I know I would not want my machine to lock whilst I'm cutting something.

Does the probe basic installation work in this context (python3)? (I believe I saw you post that it almost works...)

>>> No idea.... missing file somewhere .... not sure which one.
I noticed that I did the linux dependency check and cleared it all.
But then when I compiled linux it was missing a file so I just added it to the list....

It works.... thats all the matters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tripwire

More
27 May 2022 19:18 #244020 by tripwire
Even if probe basic doesn't work with python3 will it break anything if I install it via your script? I just want to check out the code.
Thanks.

More
29 May 2022 03:22 #244093 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Robertspark's CNC Setup

hi, i tried to install the image but i got some errors. sudo geany /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf creates a new file for me because it doesn't exist ... qtpyvcp -h qtpyvcp -i these two commands also return an error and the last pip install git + https: //github.com/kcjengr/qtpyvcp.conversational-gcode.git now i had to stop next time i will try to be more precise however kernel preempt-rt is installed and qt too.

Not all desktops use lightdm (xfce does), the default gnome/debian desktop use a different file for auto login
There are instructions on the QTPYVCP website on how to do a development install on Debian bullseye. Much eaisir to follow the real deal.

More
29 May 2022 03:25 #244095 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Robertspark's CNC Setup
I think qtpyvcp now has a python3 version of probe basic. If not try this script. It does everything Robert is doing in one easy to run script. I did test probe basic installed this way and it worked. github.com/joco-nz/lcnc-bullseye-installer
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpg

More
29 May 2022 10:00 #244108 by robertspark
I could not get probe basic to work this time as it now trows an error. I did have it working months ago though using the python 3 branch.

hence I just stick with AXIS it is rock solid, always works etc. yes I do have a script to modify it as it is used on a 23" monitor to make the icons etc larger.... but it just works. nope it don't look modern but it's all about the parts in my hand at the end of the cut not about the shape of the spoon or the appearance of the baking tray....

prefer using my old trusty tools and hammers to those nice new plastic coated handled ones in the shiny plastic box :)

More
29 May 2022 16:20 #244133 by tripwire
Thanks for the further input, guys!

More
30 May 2022 17:06 #244228 by billykid
Replied by billykid on topic Robertspark's CNC Setup
i installed probe basic with 2.8.2 xfce buster then converted for my cnc almost everything works but the tool probing says it can't do it with zero feedrate. do you know if there are instructions to switch to probebasic from a configuration with axis?

More
30 May 2022 17:19 #244232 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic Robertspark's CNC Setup

i installed probe basic with 2.8.2 xfce buster then converted for my cnc almost everything works but the tool probing says it can't do it with zero feedrate. do you know if there are instructions to switch to probebasic from a configuration with axis?

Doesn't have everything, but does have the basics.  PB is still missing a comprehensive users-manual.. but it's still in development.

PB conversion

The following user(s) said Thank You: billykid

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds