retrofit Bridgeport Prototrak Plus

More
06 Sep 2016 14:07 #80077 by new2linux
I am still working on a power supply replacement if the repair does not work out. This link "www.teknic.com/products/servo-motor-dc-power-supply/ " shows a power supply that is the smallest power supply they offered. Does anybody have an opinion on how this would work as a replacement.

Many thanks in advanced!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2016 19:55 #80163 by andypugh
Well, it's not cheap, but it is designed for the job.

I have generally made my own, but that relies on finding an enormous and expense capacitor on eBay.

i.e. something like this: uk.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium-capacitors/7737112/ but for about £20 :-)

Then you can just use an (optional, depending on voltage) transformer and rectifier to make a simlpe unregulated supply.

But considering _why_ you need a new PSU, this might not be the best plan :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: new2linux

More
08 Sep 2016 02:08 #80201 by jmelson

Well, it's not cheap, but it is designed for the job.

I have generally made my own, but that relies on finding an enormous and expense capacitor on eBay.

My solution has been to use a bank of smaller "snap in" capacitors. I buy them from Mouser in the US, they seem to have the best prices. These are relatively modest-sized capacitors, maybe 4700 uF at 80V or so. The idea is that paralleling half a dozen $12 capacitors is a much better deal than multi-hundred $ capacitors, just to get them all in one package with screw terminals. What I do is drill holes in a piece of copper-clad circuit board laminate to accept the capacitor terminals, and carve a groove in the copper to isolate a + and - region of copper.

Jon
The following user(s) said Thank You: new2linux

More
17 Sep 2016 00:43 #80509 by new2linux
Andy do you recognize the servo amplifier like this one. www.ebay.com/itm/Maxon-DC-Motor-Control-...xkBKRZa7Sa3EcXqfUiLg it appears like it should work for a set of drives like the MagneTek and Baldor DC drives like I have. What do you think? I had asked about the "Teknic, Inc." power supply in an earlier post, these the amp is in the drives, so only 2 wires coming out, fixed voltage.

many thanks!

More
17 Sep 2016 11:37 #80518 by andypugh

Andy do you recognize the servo amplifier like this one. www.ebay.com/itm/Maxon-DC-Motor-Control-...xkBKRZa7Sa3EcXqfUiLg it appears like it should work for a set of drives like the MagneTek and Baldor DC drives like I have.

Are you being confused by the use of "servo drive" and "servo amp" to mean exactly the same thing?
If you have working Baldor DC drives connected to the motor then you don't need any extra drive / amp hardware, you just need an interface to connect LinuxCNC to the drives.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds