Raspberry Pi 4

More
22 Jul 2019 04:41 #140146 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Raspberry Pi 4

But there are missing python modules used, and wheb
trying to find them, they seem to be old and depreceated. Python-rsvg
Is the one that stopped my, but I think there are more along the line,
there is a message that No Xlib module.
Is gladevcp not going to work in buster? What are the thoughts here?

There are certainly issues with some of them, but some are in Sid, so being missing from Buster seems a bit odd.

I thought that I had satisfied those dependencies in my own build, but have to admit that I haven't tried running anything GladeVCP on my setup.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2019 05:45 #140149 by Hakan
Replied by Hakan on topic Raspberry Pi 4
Andy was that on raspbian RPi4 or on Intel buster? It seems to me the two are not exactly the same.

I'll see if I can find older versions of the packages. I read that the missing packages are old and
not maintained since years. So there shouldn't be any changes and should work :)

More
22 Jul 2019 07:56 #140160 by andypugh

Andy was that on raspbian RPi4 or on Intel buster? It seems to me the two are not exactly the same.

RPi4. I am working abroad this week, but I brought the Pi with me, so will have a check tonight.

More
22 Jul 2019 09:34 #140166 by Hakan
I think I figured out what you did. You replaced rsvg in lathehandler.py?
So it is more LatheMacro than gladevcp.
Slowly understanding all this.

More
22 Jul 2019 14:33 #140178 by andypugh
I haven't tested lathehandler.py.

I would not be surprised to find that it doesn't work, but it is probably an easy fix using gobject introspection. Most other things seem to be.

More
22 Jul 2019 22:07 - 22 Jul 2019 22:07 #140248 by andypugh

I feel to be homing in on a solution for the lathe macros, but it isn't all the way there. I think we might need to change all of GladeVCP.

If you
sudo apt-get install gir1.2-rsvg-2.0

Then in a standalone Python session you can
from gi.repository import Rsvg as rsvg

Unfortunately once you are using gi (gobject introspection) it seems that you are not allowed to not use it elsewhere, so if you edit lathehandler.py to use the above, you get:

import error: When using gi.repository you must not import static modules like "gobject". Please change all occurrences of "import gobject" to "from gi.repository import GObject". See: bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=709183

Last edit: 22 Jul 2019 22:07 by andypugh.

More
22 Jul 2019 23:05 #140249 by Gene1934
Replied by Gene1934 on topic Raspberry Pi 4

I feel to be homing in on a solution for the lathe macros, but it isn't all the way there. I think we might need to change all of GladeVCP.

If you
sudo apt-get install gir1.2-rsvg-2.0

Then in a standalone Python session you can
from gi.repository import Rsvg as rsvg

Unfortunately once you are using gi (gobject introspection) it seems that you are not allowed to not use it elsewhere, so if you edit lathehandler.py to use the above, you get:

import error: When using gi.repository you must not import static modules like "gobject". Please change all occurrences of "import gobject" to "from gi.repository import GObject". See: bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=709183

I realize I may be tarred and feathered for the suggestion, but isn't this as good a time as any to switch to working in python-3.7 for any python stuff you have to re-write? From the comments on the python list, python-2.7 is on very limited life support and gasping for air. Only a month or so left. I wish I could help, but python has never yielded to any fixes I've tried such as trying to find a solution for camview going dead just when you've jogged to the second way point to record or fix a workpiece miss-alignment.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page <geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>

More
23 Jul 2019 00:00 #140252 by Hakan
I would think so too. python never was my tool I am afraid.

But there are long term options and short term.

Short term, it would be good if thís could be made going in some way. buster is knocking on the door.

Long term, I see you are working on Qt stuff and what not. It may take its time but a clear way forward would be really nice to have.

... I'll try your suggestion tomorrow, andy.

More
23 Jul 2019 07:45 #140272 by andypugh
[quote="Gene1934" post=140249
I realize I may be tarred and feathered for the suggestion, but isn't this as good a time as any to switch to working in python-3.7[/quote]

It would be a very good idea, but do we really want to re-factor all the Python in LinuxCNC with the 2.8 release imminent? That just seems to be asking for trouble.

As far as I know the lathe macros are the only thing not currently working in Buster. Though I do need to do some more testing. And the lathe macros are not a released part of LinuxCNC.

More
23 Jul 2019 15:09 #140293 by Gene1934
Replied by Gene1934 on topic Raspberry Pi 4

[quote="Gene1934" post=140249
I realize I may be tarred and feathered for the suggestion, but isn't this as good a time as any to switch to working in python-3.7

It would be a very good idea, but do we really want to re-factor all the Python in LinuxCNC with the 2.8 release imminent? That just seems to be asking for trouble.

I wasn't aware that 2.8 was about to be set. You are of course correct, and if 3.0 is on the horizon, that obviously would be the time.

As far as I know the lathe macros are the only thing not currently working in Buster. Though I do need to do some more testing. And the lathe macros are not a released part of LinuxCNC.[/quote]

Buster had a surprise. I had done a RealtimePi conversion based on buster rc1. Realtime was very good, but then a day or so after the release announce, came a good sized update including the video libs. Took full screen glxgears from about 1.7 fps to 19 fps or above, but that also removed the rt-preempt kernel, so latency went in the crapper. I have linuxcnc built, it installs on that buster, but have not found the tool to build a u-boot style deb of that rt kernel.

The pi will not build lcnc without external swap, the OOM kills the build in the middle of the RS-274-d interpreter. Stok it has a 100 meg swapfile, but I've mounted a 10GB swap on an 120GB ssd, so now it slogs on thru, taking about 4 hours for a -j1 build. Higher J numbers don't help much due to the usb2 sized pin-hole to the swap, but it just keeps on till its done. I did that on stretch, and it installs on buster but needs an apt --fix-broken -i to fix it. If and when I get an rt kernel built, I'll rebuild it on buster and see what needs fixed if anything.

After finding the price of a 7i80 to be a big buck and a half, + $65 for a 2 gb rp4, that will bring the total I've spent on miniature computers and interfacing to nearly $700 since I started this, so I think even if I can't build and install an rt-preempt kernel for buster, that I continue to run a stretch that runs the machine well even if the video is way behind the machine. But I'll also keep looking for a deb builder that will build a u-boot kernel style deb. If you know the name of such a tool, I'd appreciate it.

That $700 exceeds the cost of the motors and screws to convert this door blocking piece of iron to CNC as I made nearly everything else. So I'm going to let the software catch up for a couple months. In the meantime, everything is still running master.

Thanks Andy.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page <geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds