Computer to run Linux CNC

More
13 Jun 2020 07:57 #171377 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Computer to run Linux CNC

That is much, much better.
Plug a 7i96 or 7i76E or 7i92 to it, lets see how that goes.
I leave Linuxcnc running with a big gcode file for two full days on to check if it drops the connection and usually while i am near i have to watch some youtube or read or copy something, just to live on the edge .... of loosing a connection ! :)

Yes that was straight out of the box it has two nics which is great. I did not change any bios settings apart from the boot as it had
win10 on it as well

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2020 10:26 #171395 by Mike_Eitel
Thx Clive
That makes me looking forward to test. If my maybe a bit stupid idea to augment it with a few $ adaptor capable to run lpt works ... Would make it eventually a good money solution for not big machines. And i guess seeedstudio will deliver longer times than consumer producer. Have also no glue what would be the effort to use the pi header qs interface. Anyhow i think the effort to use the samd processor as openplc interface, fx for a toolchanger, is not high. Should be possible between the two mcu's via modbus RTU...
Mike

More
17 Jun 2020 19:40 #171923 by Mike_Eitel
Hi
Just found some time to play with it. And I plugged one of the chepo M2 to PCIe adapters in. Seems to work, as at least the W10 saw something in the device manager. Didn't bother to find the drivers
Now I want to test lcnc. Witch of the momentary iso's for this seeedstudio gadget did you use?
Mike

More
17 Jun 2020 20:36 #171925 by Clive S
I used the iso that Beagle built and updates every week I believe . Mint it just woked

More
20 Jun 2020 18:58 #172178 by Mike_Eitel
I just testet shortly the combination of that m2 to pcie adapter with an old multiport 1p4s card. It is recognized (cfg=0) and seems to work fine. Now i only have to screw a bit with the parameters to minimize latency. And learn a bit more how to use the buildin arduino for interface..
This little beast seems to be very flexible as brain of any cnc.

And BIG THX to Beaglbrainz. Your iso is very well made.!!!

Mike
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato, tommylight

More
20 Jun 2020 20:27 #172181 by tommylight
Now i want one, but am way over budget on my latest builds, so will have to wait a bit.

More
20 Jun 2020 20:50 #172187 by Mike_Eitel
As adapter i use
www.aliexpress.com/item/4000805669327.html
Also working but in my eyes mecanicaly not so good
Standing as in every pc www.aliexpress.com/item/32887322087.html
Quite bulky www.aliexpress.com/item/32855385914.html

And the board itself
www.seeedstudio.com/ODYSSEY-X86J4105864-p-4447.html

More
20 Jun 2020 20:58 #172191 by tommylight
I meant the SBC, not the adapter, although the adapter is just an icing on the cake.

More
20 Jun 2020 21:24 #172195 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Computer to run Linux CNC
Does the cheaper version without Windows still come with a M.2 drive or do you need to add your own SSD to it?
Can you install Linux over the Windows install easilly?
Very cool little board by the look.

So Clive, you just changed the boot order and left the Window's drive there? Did you leave it as dual boot via Grub?

More
20 Jun 2020 22:22 #172201 by Clive S

Does the cheaper version without Windows still come with a M.2 drive or do you need to add your own SSD to it?
Can you install Linux over the Windows install easilly?
Very cool little board by the look.

So Clive, you just changed the boot order and left the Window's drive there? Did you leave it as dual boot via Grub?

No I am not that smart (yet) as standard the board booted into win10 then I put the ssd with mint by Mr Beagle in then changed the bios to boot the ssd and bingo it just ran without any hitch. I will have to learn about the grub (hint Mike) Win 10 seems to be on the 64 Gb ram using about half of it. I have not sussed it out yet but I believe you can add another card for data. Is it possible to load some part of Say Aspire onto that and and run it from where Win10 is. I am probably talking crap as it is Saturday night and we always have a nice meal and a small drink .:lol:

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds