Computer to run Linux CNC

More
14 Jul 2020 08:46 #174590 by tommylight
Fusion works on android devices, so why is there no Linux version ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2020 09:46 #174592 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Computer to run Linux CNC

Fusion works on android devices, so why is there no Linux version ?

I did not even know that! I loaded it on my chromebook and I can look but not design. Anyway they are running a half price subscription at the moment so I signed up for 3 years.

It could be handy on a phone I guess to show people something.

More
14 Jul 2020 10:45 #174606 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Computer to run Linux CNC

Grr, All of the work I have done almost eliminating Windows from my life, I subscribed to Fusion 360 today so now I need to buy a new Windowze PC

That is why I got the Seeed box so I can have linuxcnc on the 64gb drive and Win10 on the 256Gb card so that I can use Aspire or SW. etc. just by booting into one drive or the other. It boots really fast and remembers he last boot option.

More
14 Jul 2020 10:54 #174610 by rodw

Grr, All of the work I have done almost eliminating Windows from my life, I subscribed to Fusion 360 today so now I need to buy a new Windowze PC

That is why I got the Seeed box so I can have linuxcnc on the 64gb drive and Win10 on the 256Gb card so that I can use Aspire or SW. etc. just by booting into one drive or the other. It boots really fast and remembers he last boot option.

Yeh, I did that for a while but it was a pain and then I accidentally broke Windows so now its 100% Mint. But the real reason is that I have not bought a PC for about 7 years (aside from a few Chromebooks and Celerons for Linuxcnc) and did not have a recommended graphics card. The 4 GBJ1900/J1850/N3160's are not really good enough for Windows as I'm using one on our packing bench. and its pretty slow.

I think I'll just park my Mint box I've been using for Linuxcnc software dev to one side and remote into it from Windows Pro. I've done that with a Pi 4 and its quite OK.

More
14 Jul 2020 11:18 #174620 by Mike_Eitel
Today you can use rdp( all windows vers, including cloud) plus xrdp ( every linux based os i touched, also including cloud) from a simple w10 pc. I use that, partialy over multi chained jump stations.. Flawless. Only in beagles mint you can not takeover a running session, some windows get distributed over the two "screens". Seems a known mint 19 problem. But u can use a not running user, or close all on the hw and then go remote...
P. S.
I use what works and i'm too old for any of: this os is better than that war. ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: silden

More
14 Jul 2020 11:29 #174621 by rodw
Thanks Mike, I have to say I am OS agnostic so any OS works. But the best is my Chromebook for me.
It was my understanding that Windows 10 Home edition does not include the Microsoft Terminal Service Client (MSTC or RDP)

I'll see how I go with Mint remote with Xrdp. I think my Mint PC is running the standard Mint install as it does not have a network card (connects via a Dynardock) so no need for PREMPT_RT. MInt Driver support is so good it even runs up my Avid Fastrack Duo USB Sound card when everybody says its not supported with Linux. Maybe Preempt Rt would be good for it but I don't record stuff.

More
14 Jul 2020 11:30 #174622 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Computer to run Linux CNC
Fusion360 runs native on a Mac... :)

More
14 Jul 2020 11:38 #174623 by rodw

And on my Chromebook :) sorta via android app.

But I'm afraid despite looking real hard at the Mac when my son worked for Apple, there was no compelling reason to pay the Apple tax just for coolness. You have to buy into their whole ecosystem and that does not fit with my commitment to Google Gsuite (and my Pixel4)

More
14 Jul 2020 11:53 #174624 by Mike_Eitel
In any linux i could do .. xxx install xrdp just in mint i needed additionaly xorgxrdp
I did not install/nor ever tried freerdp-x11 as proposed. My idea is that is a linux client.
For the home version, sorry never use that. No glue if rdp is excluded, if you can install, etc...
But if you want more sophisticated try mRemoteNG. This has a combination of rdp and winscp, i think that is in the moment the most universal solution. You can easy group your acces, I like it as i can organize my different "ways to reach" machines depending from my momentary "connection methode".
Mike

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install xrdp xorgxrdp
sudo apt install -y freerdp-x11

More
14 Jul 2020 12:16 #174625 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Computer to run Linux CNC

And on my Chromebook :) sorta via android app.

But I'm afraid despite looking real hard at the Mac when my son worked for Apple, there was no compelling reason to pay the Apple tax just for coolness. You have to buy into their whole ecosystem and that does not fit with my commitment to Google Gsuite (and my Pixel4)

Dunno about cool but I find them great machines to use. I don't use any other Apple stuff although I have used the store to get a couple of apps.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds