Remora - Rpi Software Stepping Using External Microcontroller via SPI

More
04 Jul 2021 17:15 #213706 by Doogie
Ya, I used some cheap chinese jumpers with dupont cloned connector ends and maybe 7in long wires. Crappy ends and my rPi would get moved lots as I messed with things. Scotta did fine with short jumper wires too while his rPi and controller board were mounted to his 3DP so quite stable.

After making the ribbon cable adapters I could go to 70cm cable and even tried 130cm cable which worked for a while but I did get one SPI error so that was too long and maybe 100cm would be reliable. Having the connections all in one 2x5 socket and 2x5 header pin keeps all connections stable and in place.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2021 22:01 #213907 by scotta

Doogie,
thanks,
I read I can assign Px.x to any free pin,
and should create the pin in config.txt.

Under what conditions is Reset active?

thanks tomp

Hi tomp, 

The Reset pin is available on the LinuxCNC side and I use a pyvcp button that allows me to manually reset the board from within LinuxCNC. This is handy when the SPI comms get interrupted and the buffer is not clocked out completely. I really should build in a SPI timeout functionality that switches the board into master mode and clocks out the tx buffer and switches back into slave mode. But, in normal operation this isn't a huge issue.

BR
Scott

More
08 Jul 2021 22:42 - 09 Jul 2021 03:54 #214052 by Doogie
For those wanting a simpler SPI connection situation, the prototype boards arrived from China today and I made up some adapters and tested the MKS and rPi ends while also ohming out the SKR adapter and all is A-ok.You can order your boards from dirtypcb.com or ask and I'll get you the KiCAD and GERBER files. 

Remora MKS and SKR ribbon cable Adapters PCBs

This uses standard 2x5(10 pin) header sockets which fit in the EXP connectors on the SKR board or on the MKS board the outside row of the 2x5(10p) socket slips onto J7 header pins. Any straight or 90deg 2x5(10pin) headers will fit in the other end and interface with the GLCD ribbon cables normally used on the EXP1 and EXP2 connectors.

OK, I found one goof and that was the rPi 40pin connector layout relative to the board. I made the mistake of doing the layout based on the very nice ARGON One 40pin layout and it turns out it's  rotated 180 degrees from the rPi itself.  So on the ARGON One the board/adapter sticks out the rear but on the rPi the board/adapter extends inward over the CPU instead of out the side. It works fine and if you use straight 2x5 header pins the ribbon cable and connector will extend upward instead of across the rPi.

I'll repeat my testing with the very long 700mm GLCD ribbon cable now that the grounding and signal traces are solid on both ends.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2021 03:54 by Doogie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
14 Jul 2021 01:43 #214664 by Zuo99
It is not easy to register on this website, for me.
In the past period of time I tried the initial use of REMORA (although there are still some configuring problems), I must say that this is a very creative project.
Thank you for your work, especially, thank you Scotta for answering my questions in the email.

More
14 Jul 2021 02:56 #214669 by Aaroncnc
So i have done some tinkering and made a new spi connector.
I had some thin coax cable from when i used to make FPV antennas and tried them out.

I have the system grounded on both ends of the coax and 2 dedicated ground wires.
The wires were just the right size to still fit into a dupont connector with the shielding pulled back.
So far no issues at all.

Kinda wondering what the best way to stress test them to make sure no phantom problems arise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doogie

More
14 Jul 2021 14:36 #214746 by Cncninja
So I've been trying to create a HAL file to use the SKR1.4 turbo for a CNC mill. I have the basic motion working... I've spent the last few weeks doing a udemy class on HAL (hands-on-stm32-basic-peripherals-with-hal).. And really have not gotten very far... Basically, I would like to use the bed heat output as spindle control, The endstops input as endstops, the fan outputs as coolant and the probe input as probe. Since this board is readily available and the layout is the same it would be great to have a file that maps all of this and with 2209 support all in one premade file, for those who want mill control? Basically, have all the I/O pre-mapped and working just like if it was running in a printer but just plugging in what you need and go.

This is what needs to be done if anyone could lend a hand
heatbed output mapped to M3 with or without PWM

endstops inputs mapped and working

Some of the I/O (like fan output for M8) mapped

Probe input working as Probe input

2209 auto endstop function working

If we can make this plug and play with your connectors, an RPI IMG, and pre-made mapped HAL there is no reason this would not become the go-to for the little 3018 like mills. thank in advance for any help or direction.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doogie

More
14 Jul 2021 16:45 #214765 by Aaroncnc
CNcninja

I have been working on the documentation for remora a bit and my next project is to create a hal page with examples to do the listed things above.

Now a full image setup and ready to go would be a good idea to get someone up and running on a known good system that they can branch from vs having to do the setup and manual install and config.

I think just a single image would be needed for all the main use cases.
3d printer
cnc mill
laser cutter
one image with a shortcut on the desktop for each use case. the user could just delete the shortcuts they dont want so they dont click the wrong one and that would be it.

I think the data is mostly together to make this now almost.

The last decision would be do we want to use a 64bit image or 32bit?
There are plus and minus to both.
I use a 64bit (and ver2.9) as it has better latency and seems faster.
But i think most people are running 32bit (v2.8)

More
15 Jul 2021 11:09 - 15 Jul 2021 14:47 #214841 by mhel
Hi all,
I sent this to Scott yesterday , because  I couldn't login here yesterday, but probably went to his spam folder.
If anyone have discoveryboard or any board with stm32F407 wants to give my little hacks a try,
before I upload the sources. I'm very confident on this one, compared to what I had when attempted
to port 'picnc' that got stalled, then I found Remora.
thanks.

EDIT:
I forgot the serial port pins.
SerialPort on Port A9:A10
 TX: A9
 RX: A10
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Jul 2021 14:47 by mhel.

More
15 Jul 2021 12:38 #214861 by Cncninja
since the idea is a full disk IMG i say 64 bit

More
15 Jul 2021 13:18 #214868 by Aaroncnc
Wish i could help test this but the only stm chips i have on hand are stm32f303

mhel post=214841 userid=27650Hi all,
I sent this to Scott yesterday , because  I couldn't login here yesterday, but probably went to his spam folder.
If anyone have discoveryboard or any board with stm32F407 wants to give my little hacks a try,
before I upload the sources. I'm very confident on this one, compared to what I had when attempted
to port 'picnc' that got stalled, then I found Remora.
thanks.

Time to create page: 0.319 seconds