Remora - Rpi Software Stepping Using External Microcontroller via SPI

More
07 Aug 2021 16:14 #217134 by cakeslob
The beaglebone pru can do more than just pwm.

I wish that the PRU's were actual FPGA's since we could do much more with them if they were.

have you looked into any of the altera/xilinx SoC boards? they have an arm core inside the fpga. machinekit guys wrote an hm2 firmware for a few boards already

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2021 23:00 #217162 by scotta

Hey scotta has there been any more Hal work for the skr1.4 so the home inputs and bed output work?
thanks

The SKR v1.4 has been working for some time. I completed a 17hr print with it during the week. 

What issues are you having?

More
07 Aug 2021 23:31 #217164 by Cncninja
skr1.4 motion is working but the other i/o is not, I was hoping to use the input switches as wired and use the bed heater as M3 and fan output as an M8 is any of the i/o mapped in the Hal other than the motion? Also, the 2209 has a home feature with a stall warning signal that goes high we could wire back into the homing switched but the problem is 2209 needs a enn toggle to start moton after the stall.

More
08 Aug 2021 00:59 #217169 by Cncninja
I would like to make a mini mill config so people can plug and play with the grbl boards used by so many on the 3018 CNC mills. they have plug-and-play connections with 3D printer boards(skr1.4) steppers and homing switches. But a mill needs M3 for spindle on-off and a 0-5v for speed control or those with 24v dc spindles us the bed heater fet and PWM speed control also M8 for air/coolant and a probe input. the SKR has all this it just needs to be mapped in the config for a Mill vs printer config

bed heater pwm = to spindle M3 as PWM (dc spindle), also to a digital pin on/off for ext spindle control

extruder 2 hotend to 1~5v pwm for spindle speed control

hotend heater to = M8 coolent no pwm just on off

there are 2 analog thermistor inputs that could be mapped to use with external spindle and feed overrides (0-5k pots)

I really think this would have a big splash with current grbl users to make a mill version I can easily demo it with my channel and FB pages

More
08 Aug 2021 01:57 #217172 by Bari
If they only had a GPU :)

We used the original Allwinner A10 or A20 >5 years ago on the Cubieboard with Xenomai and we had decent stepping without any integrated micro.

Lots of this just boils down to building u-boot, the kernels and configs properly vs just random slapped together shit that you are supposed to edit by hand later.

More
08 Aug 2021 05:20 #217176 by cakeslob

If they only had a GPU :)

but its an fpga, so you could just build a gpu. but yeah good point i didnt think of that. looks like theres one xilinx zynq that has a mali400 on it . i mean i dont need fancy graphics, the fanuc i use everyday doesnt have any fancu graphics, but i dont not want fancy graphics

but anyways, back to remora
heres my fast and dirty setup . no fancy pcb but my bitchin all-purpose utilitarian cable, now with unnecessary length! colour coded as per the manual to minimize those looming wiring errors! Tired of short circuits? All the connectors on The Regular Ass Cable are insulated to save you from your self! All the flexibility of a cable, while still maintaining the freedom to plug it in backwards(its a feature)! Are you so lazy that crimping is the only thing between you and success? You can buy pre-crimped for mere pennies per wire!
Attachments:

More
08 Aug 2021 06:38 #217180 by Cncninja
So making a 4 axis mill profile using skr1.4. attached is a somewhat working config for the skr, the remora xyza need some work m3 is coming out m5 etc 

File Attachment:

File Name: Mill4axis.zip
File Size:4 KB
Attachments:

More
08 Aug 2021 22:37 #217269 by mhel
@gtt38

I don't supposed you're waveshare dev board came with a network phy (i.e. DP83848C) ?
Do you want to tinker with Remora over ethernet?
See if it's viable, worth spending more time on it?

More
More
09 Aug 2021 00:24 #217272 by mhel
Thanks, saw that one inspired me partly to tinker with Remora and ethernet.
I managed to do it but getting too many following errors which suggests
that it's probably too slow for the chip. I'm pinging it from Rpi averaging
165 microseconds direct connection no router in between. But I read
that ping is not actually a good metrics for UDP transfer.

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds