Remora - ethernet NVEM / EC300 / EC500 cnc board

More
01 Oct 2023 14:12 #281985 by cncmiljc
The board is turned off and the cable is disconnected from the computer, let's say you turn on the board but the cable is disconnected, with the board already running, you connect the cable and open Linux CNC, when trying to run a program or use the jog, it comes a joint error, but if you turn off the board now with the cable connected and turn it on again, we no longer have the error, that is, from what I have seen, you cannot turn on the board without the cable being connected to the computer first , I noticed that we can't turn on the board before turning on the computer, I didn't quite understand why.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2023 17:11 #282004 by chrstrvs
Hey!

I've been tempted for a while now to try LinuxCNC and when I found out that it can run on a Pi4 and that you made it possible to use the card that I'm already using with Mach3, the NVEM, I thought that the time had come to give LinuxCNC a try

I have successfully installed LinuxCNC on my Pi4B and it starts and works just fine in the simulated environment. I have watched your videos and I believe that I have followed all step correctly (but you never know...), but when I start LinuxCNC with your remora-nvem-basic configuration I get a error message that I have attached as a file to this message.

Any ideas what causes this error and how to fix it?

Kind regards,Christian
Attachments:

More
01 Oct 2023 18:00 #282009 by GeramyL
I havn't noticed this, which version of the firmware are you using?

More
01 Oct 2023 18:02 #282011 by GeramyL

Hey!

I've been tempted for a while now to try LinuxCNC and when I found out that it can run on a Pi4 and that you made it possible to use the card that I'm already using with Mach3, the NVEM, I thought that the time had come to give LinuxCNC a try

I have successfully installed LinuxCNC on my Pi4B and it starts and works just fine in the simulated environment. I have watched your videos and I believe that I have followed all step correctly (but you never know...), but when I start LinuxCNC with your remora-nvem-basic configuration I get a error message that I have attached as a file to this message.

Any ideas what causes this error and how to fix it?

Kind regards,Christian

Your problem is because you didn't install the remora-nv linuxcnc firmware/hal please read here in the forum as it provides the command line instruction for compiling the hal file, you will need build-essential as well, which is a package that contains make etc.....
forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/44828-rem...m-cnc-board?start=60

More
01 Oct 2023 18:48 #282012 by chrstrvs
No, I actually did install the hal by downloading it to /home/pi/linuxcnc/components/ and running sudo halcompile --install remora-eth.c. As far as I can tell it installed correctly.
Any other ideas?

More
01 Oct 2023 18:57 #282013 by cakeslob
Debug file information:
Note: Using POSIX realtime
remora-nv: dlopen: /usr/lib/linuxcnc/modules/remora-nv.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
./remora-nvem.hal:9: waitpid failed /usr/bin/rtapi_app remora-nv
./remora-nvem.hal:9: /usr/bin/rtapi_app exited without becoming ready
./remora-nvem.hal:9: insmod for remora-nv failed, returned -1

your hal file is looking for remora-nv
, download this one and install it. it is more up to date
github.com/scottalford75/Remora-NVEM/tre...Components/Remora-nv

More
01 Oct 2023 19:05 #282014 by chrstrvs
Nice, thanks so much, that did the trick!

Now on to the next part in this learning curve :)

More
01 Oct 2023 19:52 - 01 Oct 2023 19:59 #282019 by rbobey1989
Hello everyone here, for a few days I have been researching QDC and XBAR, to try to add a hardware encoder module to the Remora project for Scott's rt1052, I have to say that it was somewhat tedious to read the reference manual, I have reused part of the code for the remora QEI hardware encoder for STM32 but I have added the XBARA1 multiplexer, great the multiplexer allows you to connect many signals with peripherals in which IOMUX cannot do anything.
I have forked your project Scott, I have modified it and I have sent you a pullrequest, tell me what you think, I have not been able to test an encoder with an index because I do not have one, maybe I have one at work, I will look for one.
In the configuration file, a field must be added to the encoder and it is the number of the QDC module that must be used. I imagine that this can be done in many ways and omit this, for example:

"Thread": "Servo",
     "Type": "QDC",
         "Comment": "QDC Encoder A-IN02 B-IN03",
         "PV": 0,
         "ChA Pin": "P4_13",
         "ChB Pin": "P4_14",
"ENC No": 3
},
I must also say that you can use encoders 1, 2, and 3, in the case of having an encoder with an index you could use 2 instances due to the lack of pins.
I leave the link to my repository in case anyone wants to try it. Greetings, everything is for LinuxCnC and Remora.
Last edit: 01 Oct 2023 19:59 by rbobey1989.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Murphy

More
01 Oct 2023 22:27 #282032 by scotta

The board is turned off and the cable is disconnected from the computer, let's say you turn on the board but the cable is disconnected, with the board already running, you connect the cable and open Linux CNC, when trying to run a program or use the jog, it comes a joint error, but if you turn off the board now with the cable connected and turn it on again, we no longer have the error, that is, from what I have seen, you cannot turn on the board without the cable being connected to the computer first , I noticed that we can't turn on the board before turning on the computer, I didn't quite understand why.

The first part of the Remora start sequence is to bring up the Ethernet. If you start without a cable and computer connected, it just sits there waiting. I'll need to see if there is a timeout in the LWIP, or retry. But simple thing is to have LinuxCNC computer running and then turn on the controller with Ethernet cable connected.

More
01 Oct 2023 22:33 #282033 by scotta

Hello everyone here, for a few days I have been researching QDC and XBAR, to try to add a hardware encoder module to the Remora project for Scott's rt1052, I have to say that it was somewhat tedious to read the reference manual, I have reused part of the code for the remora QEI hardware encoder for STM32 but I have added the XBARA1 multiplexer, great the multiplexer allows you to connect many signals with peripherals in which IOMUX cannot do anything.
I have forked your project Scott, I have modified it and I have sent you a pullrequest, tell me what you think, I have not been able to test an encoder with an index because I do not have one, maybe I have one at work, I will look for one.
In the configuration file, a field must be added to the encoder and it is the number of the QDC module that must be used. I imagine that this can be done in many ways and omit this, for example:

"Thread": "Servo",
     "Type": "QDC",
         "Comment": "QDC Encoder A-IN02 B-IN03",
         "PV": 0,
         "ChA Pin": "P4_13",
         "ChB Pin": "P4_14",
"ENC No": 3
},
I must also say that you can use encoders 1, 2, and 3, in the case of having an encoder with an index you could use 2 instances due to the lack of pins.
I leave the link to my repository in case anyone wants to try it. Greetings, everything is for LinuxCnC and Remora.

Thanks so much for this, I quickly reviewed the code before reading the above, and noted in line 197 of the module you are getting the Revolution Value, maybe this should be the position value hold register?

I need to get myself a 24v encoder now.

In your work with the XBAR did you see which available inputs can be routed to the quad timers? These timers also have encoder counting capability. This might increase the number of possible encoders, but without the fancy glitch filtering circuity.

People wanting a spindle encoder will greatly appreciate your work, thank you!!

Time to create page: 0.276 seconds