Remora - ethernet NVEM cnc board

More
12 Apr 2022 21:21 #240083 by royka
I keep getting following errors. When I look at dmeg I see the ethernet reconnects after some time. I've tried different cables and another network card. I've read that it's a common problem. So I was wondering if it's possible to connect it by SPI with a raspbery. If so I assume that the firmware needs to be changed as well?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2022 22:54 #240194 by scotta

Any idea which hardware versions of the board should work?
I've seen 1.1, 2 and 2.1 during my search.

There looks to be some differences in the versions of the board with the key difference being the Ethernet PHY chip used. V2 and V3 boards use an 8720A PHY chip where as the V1 boards look to use a DP83846.

Therefore the Remora-NVEM firmware should work on the V2 and V3 boards and not the V1 boards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tcurdt

More
13 Apr 2022 22:57 #240196 by scotta

I keep getting following errors. When I look at dmeg I see the ethernet reconnects after some time. I've tried different cables and another network card. I've read that it's a common problem. So I was wondering if it's possible to connect it by SPI with a raspbery. If so I assume that the firmware needs to be changed as well?

If it were a network issue LinuxCNC would go into E-Stop before triggering a following error. It's the way the communication logic works. Your following errors are most likely caused by your joint configuration. Your joint max velocity needs to he higher than the overall max velocity so that a joint can try to catch up the following error. Take a look at the example INI file. I've tuned that one to get some good speeds without ferrors.

More
14 Apr 2022 18:24 #240249 by tcurdt
When I get a V2 - does it matter how many axis (for using the binary release of the Remora firmware)? Or is it just one firmware release for all axis versions?

Right now I assume the different amount of axis just means more connected breakout pins. Is that correct?

More
14 Apr 2022 21:30 #240259 by Domi
I think it's a matter of bin firmware. Scott has so far set the bin on about 3 axes. But then I don't think there will be a problem to add another 3 (it doesn't matter in the bin). I have a worse problem now. I have limit switches PNP / NC, tool sensor NC and 3D touch probe NPN / NO :(

More
14 Apr 2022 22:13 #240263 by scotta

When I get a V2 - does it matter how many axis (for using the binary release of the Remora firmware)? Or is it just one firmware release for all axis versions?

Right now I assume the different amount of axis just means more connected breakout pins. Is that correct?

The current firmware supports 6 axes (joints) and should run on the 3, 4 and 5 axis versions as they appear only to be limited by the original firmware and maybe the mystery chip. It would be interesting to find out if the 3 axis version has the same physical connections as a 6 axis. There is a $20 dollar difference for the same hardware maybe?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tcurdt

More
14 Apr 2022 22:14 #240264 by scotta

I think it's a matter of bin firmware. Scott has so far set the bin on about 3 axes. But then I don't think there will be a problem to add another 3 (it doesn't matter in the bin). I have a worse problem now. I have limit switches PNP / NC, tool sensor NC and 3D touch probe NPN / NO :(

Not far off Domi with the custom config ability. Then your problem will be solved :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Domi

More
14 Apr 2022 22:24 - 14 Apr 2022 22:25 #240266 by royka

If it were a network issue LinuxCNC would go into E-Stop before triggering a following error. It's the way the communication logic works. Your following errors are most likely caused by your joint configuration. Your joint max velocity needs to he higher than the overall max velocity so that a joint can try to catch up the following error. Take a look at the example INI file. I've tuned that one to get some good speeds without ferrors.

I've tried about everything, 3 different pc's with low latency, a lot of different settings includings yours but still get the following errors at random moments. Tomorrow I'll try the lpt port to exlude the nvem or my config.

Last edit: 14 Apr 2022 22:25 by royka.

More
14 Apr 2022 22:40 #240268 by tcurdt

The current firmware supports 6 axes (joints) and should run on the 3, 4 and 5 axis versions as they appear only to be limited by the original firmware and maybe the mystery chip. It would be interesting to find out if the 3 axis version has the same physical connections as a 6 axis. There is a $20 dollar difference for the same hardware maybe?

Alright then. I think I will go for the 5 axis one and hope for the best :)

More
15 Apr 2022 01:08 #240282 by Domi
Also buy a 6-axis version and take a picture of the chip you used (hardware on the motherboard). I think it will be the same. My opinion. I think it will be limited to software. I also have a 4axis board. And I don't think they would use two longer ones. But I don't care about firmware, so I can't confirm that.

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds