An open source Emco 120P lathe tool turret control

More
25 Apr 2016 15:40 - 25 Apr 2016 15:46 #73855 by LutzTD
Toolerator 3000 PCBA built but not tested. I still need to get a 24vdc power supply and the turret assembled.

apparently I cannot attach pictures without limiting out so here's the only one that works

Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Apr 2016 15:46 by LutzTD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2016 19:52 - 25 Apr 2016 19:54 #73869 by tome

Toolerator 3000 PCBA built but not tested. I still need to get a 24vdc power supply and the turret assembled.

Looks very nice. By the way, did you send the PDF layout of the board that was include with the files to the board house? Or did you produce gerber files from KiCAD? Just curious because I just realized that all the component labels are underneath the parts (once populated). Dale did that because he was cutting the board on our cnc pcb milling machine. So he didn't arrange the mask as it should have been for a board layout. If you were ever to do another run of boards, I would suggest KiCAD be run and the component labels be moved out to where they can be seen when components are populated. If you ever need to replace the electrolytic caps, for example, you want to know which is + and which is -.
-Tom
Last edit: 25 Apr 2016 19:54 by tome.

More
25 Apr 2016 21:23 - 25 Apr 2016 21:25 #73874 by LutzTD
Hi Tom,

I just dumped gerbers from the KiCad. This was my first experience with a pcb. Its funny because I soldered it at work in an esd workstation because its slow right now. The tech I had review my solder joints was confused by the silkscreens, he was worried I had the optical couplers 90 degrees out becuase of the silkscreen, but after we reviewed a bare board he saw they wouldn't fit the other way. so that makes sense now. Of course I don't know what is normal or not, I never really looked at pcb boards because the EE's at my job always handle that. I ordered the din rail power supplies same as the ones you linked so Ill be able to power it up by the end of the week and maybe cycle it. That will be a thrill :)
Last edit: 25 Apr 2016 21:25 by LutzTD.

More
15 May 2016 00:35 #74667 by LutzTD
today I loaded linuxcnc debian from this link www.linuxcnc.org/linuxcnc-2.7-wheezy.iso using all of the install instructions from here

then I installed arduino from here

connected the toolerator3000 pcba and using the toolerator300.ino from here

I compiled the toolerator3000.ino and loaded the software on the arduino nano on the toolerator3000 PCBA.

now I need to run this command "sudo halcompile --INSTALL toolerator.comp" but "halcompile" comes back as command not found.

where can I get this command file?

More
15 May 2016 03:29 #74672 by tome

today I loaded linuxcnc debian from this link www.linuxcnc.org/linuxcnc-2.7-wheezy.iso using all of the install instructions from here

then I installed arduino from here

connected the toolerator3000 pcba and using the toolerator300.ino from here

I compiled the toolerator3000.ino and loaded the software on the arduino nano on the toolerator3000 PCBA.

now I need to run this command "sudo halcompile --INSTALL toolerator.comp" but "halcompile" comes back as command not found.

where can I get this command file?

Perhaps you need to install linuxcnc-dev to get halcompile...

More
15 May 2016 11:10 - 15 May 2016 11:48 #74678 by LutzTD
ok got halcompile

sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-dev

but im not getting the syntax right for halcompile I guess

issue1 I had opened it as a word doc so I was getting all kinds of syntax error, redownloaded it using mousepad.

issue2 said component name didnt match, so I renamed the .comp file to toolerator3000.comp

then got this, does that mean it executed properly?

user@linuxcnc:~/linuxcnc$ sudo halcompile --install toolerator3000.comp
gcc -Os -g -I. -I/usr/realtime-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae/include -I. -I/usr/realtime-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae/include -I/usr/include/i386-linux-gnu -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=0 -fno-math-errno -funsafe-math-optimizations -fno-rounding-math -fno-signaling-nans -fcx-limited-range -mhard-float -DRTAI=3 -fno-fast-math -mieee-fp -fno-unsafe-math-optimizations -DRTAPI -D_GNU_SOURCE -Drealtime -D__MODULE__ -I/usr/include/linuxcnc -Wframe-larger-than=2560 -URTAPI -U__MODULE__ -DULAPI -Os -o toolerator3000 /tmp/tmp59_Fcm/toolerator3000.c -Wl,-rpath,/lib -L/lib -llinuxcnchal
Last edit: 15 May 2016 11:48 by LutzTD.

More
15 May 2016 15:22 #74683 by tome

does that mean it executed properly?

user@linuxcnc:~/linuxcnc$ sudo halcompile --install toolerator3000.comp
gcc -Os -g -I. -I/usr/realtime-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae/include -I. -I/usr/realtime-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae/include -I/usr/include/i386-linux-gnu -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=0 -fno-math-errno -funsafe-math-optimizations -fno-rounding-math -fno-signaling-nans -fcx-limited-range -mhard-float -DRTAI=3 -fno-fast-math -mieee-fp -fno-unsafe-math-optimizations -DRTAPI -D_GNU_SOURCE -Drealtime -D__MODULE__ -I/usr/include/linuxcnc -Wframe-larger-than=2560 -URTAPI -U__MODULE__ -DULAPI -Os -o toolerator3000 /tmp/tmp59_Fcm/toolerator3000.c -Wl,-rpath,/lib -L/lib -llinuxcnchal

I believe so, there is no error output. You should be good to go.

More
15 May 2016 18:01 #74685 by Zahnrad Kopf
Is this available in complete form for those of us component level and soldering iron retarded? :blush:

More
15 May 2016 21:18 #74691 by LutzTD
I wasnt planning to do complete boards because Im not an experienced solderer either, so I would want to test anything I shipped just to be fair. At this point I dont have a working system either. Maybe in a few months I can offer a soldered solution because it could be tested in my lathe before being shipped, but as of now Im not even sure the one I have works.... I have a partial set of the cheap parts but I didnt buy any extra of the more expensive pieces. Ask again in a few months and maybe I can help you. I still have several bare boards to offer if you can find someone who can solder for you before that.

More
15 May 2016 21:21 - 15 May 2016 21:23 #74692 by LutzTD

I believe so, there is no error output. You should be good to go.

cool thanx. I was cleaning up the toolchanger today and will get it reassembled in a few days. As I understand it I can cycle the toolchanger with the Toolerator3000 by pushing the snap switches? I cant get Linuxcnc running yet as I dont have the Mesa board yet, I ordered the 7i76e yesterday so I may have it this week to do a system test but in the mean time I would like to cycle the toolchanger with just the toolerator3000 board standalone.
Last edit: 15 May 2016 21:23 by LutzTD.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds