Guidance Needed! Initial LinuxCNC/PncConf setup

More
08 Mar 2023 16:57 - 08 Mar 2023 18:00 #266124 by Sray69
I came across this thread . Is this a possible solution to disabling autorepeat? If so, can someone assist on how to implement it? I am a little rusty with scripts/coding. 

You can either turn off autorepeat entirely for the computer, or I believe you could run a custom python script on startup of Axis (called from the INI file).

For reference, all QtVCP screens disable autorepeat by default. QtPlasmaC disables autorepeat entirely, and the other QtVCP screens disable autorepeat for just the jogging keys.

The only issue I can see is that when you close Axis, autorepeat would be still be disabled. There is probably a way around that, but it would likely require editing Axis files to do so.

In case it helps here's the code from /lib/python/qtvcp/qt_action.py:

# Some systems need repeat disabled for keyboard jogging because repeat rate is uneven
def DISABLE_AUTOREPEAT_KEYS(self, keys={'34','35','80','81','83','85','88','89','111','112','113','114','116','117'}):
for k in keys:
subprocess.Popen('xset -r {}'.format(k), stdout = subprocess.PIPE, shell = True)

def ENABLE_AUTOREPEAT_KEYS(self, keys={'34','35','80','81','83','85','88','89','111','112','113','114','116','117'}):
for k in keys:
subprocess.Popen('xset r {}'.format(k), stdout = subprocess.PIPE, shell = True)

QtPlasmaC does use these functions, we just call ' ' for the key which disables/enables them all.

ACTION.ENABLE_AUTOREPEAT_KEYS(' ')

and to disable

ACTION.DISABLE_AUTOREPEAT_KEYS(' ')

Does autorepeat affect anything besides the keyboard jogging? If not, couldn't I just add a controller/pendant instead (and not use the keyboard for jogging) and move on?

Last edit: 08 Mar 2023 18:00 by Sray69. Reason: Fixing messed up coding

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2023 18:02 #266132 by tommylight

Is this a possible solution to disabling autorepeat?

Not a solution, but a good workaround. It is a BIOS issue, not a software issue.

Does autorepeat affect anything besides the keyboard jogging?

No.
Autorepeat is active by default on all PC's, so people are used to using it. Writing anything or editing files without it is utterly annoying.
Some motherboards just have a bad implementation of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sray69

More
08 Mar 2023 18:14 #266133 by Sray69
So if I do not use the keyboard jogging then I don't necessarily need to replace the computer?

I just don't want to hassle with having to test a bunch of computers/video cards again unless there is a recommended computer that will work for sure.

More
08 Mar 2023 20:02 #266142 by tommylight
Your current computer has bad latency, IIRC, so changing it will save you a lot of time.
There are plenty of usable computers, from old Dell or HP to new ones costing an arm and a leg.
There are several topic here with lots of used comouters that work OK with LinuxCNC, off the top of my head:
Dell Optiplex 980 Tower, has parallel port
HP 8300 SFF, with external power brick
Acer Switch 5 tablet with external USB to Ethernet
Etc.

More
08 Mar 2023 21:58 #266153 by Sray69
I think my latency is good. I just ran this with 5 glxgears and a web browser with like 20 tabs open. Does this look OK? I am running a Mesa 7i76E.
latency-histogram --nobase --sbinsize 5000

I was recently having ethernet latency issues. Not sure if I still am though. If I were then could that be resolved with a new intel NIC?
Attachments:

More
09 Mar 2023 00:06 #266161 by rodw
it looks acceptible.

Try adding isolcpus=2,3,4,5
Isolating 4 cores made a big difference with my 6 core ARM chip.

But don't stress if you can't improve on what you have,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sray69

More
09 Mar 2023 23:16 #266240 by Sray69

it looks acceptible.

Try adding isolcpus=2,3,4,5
Isolating 4 cores made a big difference with my 6 core ARM chip.

But don't stress if you can't improve on what you have,

Rod,
Where exactly do I put isolcpus?  I added that line to my grub and updated it but I am still running 6 cores.

Also I am still getting a bunch of the same errors.

Should I order a Intel based NIC and add a massive case fan to the computer to make sure it is not overheating?
Attachments:

More
09 Mar 2023 23:57 #266244 by Sray69
OK so I finally got the isolcpus to work. The histogram still shows 6 cores but is shows that I am using isolcpus=2,3,4,5.

I would say it looks much better. Thanks
Attachments:

More
10 Mar 2023 00:49 #266248 by rodw
That looks right. What you have done is isolate those cores to be for PREEMPT_RT only. eg the real time part of linuxcnc (servo-thread)
User space items will run on cores 0 & 1.
Core 0 by default also recieves some system interrupts so we don't want PREEMPT_RT to run on it as it could be a bit clogged with other traffic.

More
10 Mar 2023 03:49 #266257 by Sray69
Now that I have the latency looking good, what do I need to do to fix the errors? I read that the following error is most likely some settings in the INI. But not sure what to look for.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds