Light Machine Corp. Benchman XTr (retrofit)

More
18 Mar 2019 00:26 #128869 by james891
Hi guys,

First time posting here. I just picked up a benchman XT as well with a connection problem. I think its the pc card, the company I bought it from said they couldnt fix the issue and I messed around with it with no luck. So I think I have the same problem almost everyone else has had.
I think I have to get a new controller which I am ok with, Id rather the machine run on more readily available parts. If I read these 35 pages correctly, scanning the relevant info, my best options options is to get a Mesa card and use that to communicate with the existing servo drives(copley), spindle(ultradrive) etc? Does anyone have better alternatives to get up and running asap besides paying $4-5000 for a used Nextmove card? Appreciate any feedback.

James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2019 12:57 #128891 by x-Intelitek Engineer
James are you 100% sure that your problem is the Nextmove card? If so, then moving to another controller is your best bet.

If you are not 100% sure, I may be able to help you determine the issue. Please provide a photo of the main control card in the rear of the machine so I can determine your configuration.

More
23 Mar 2019 21:08 #129395 by james891
Thanks for the reply, if you have any tips, it would be much appreciated! I was told it worked, then the harddrive crashed, an employee there tried to reintall everything but couldnt get it working. Here are some pics:

drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VXEG9sKe...dqLoVEyZ?usp=sharing

I couldnt find device manager to set the right register, Im hoping the software included could do it. Otherwise Im not too sure what else to try...

More
23 Mar 2019 22:04 #129399 by project-pegasus
My Nextmove card is a bit different than yours. Mine does not have the daughter board with those two cables going to the PCs I/O backplate. What was connected to those to cables? The card looks to be OK; you've got the right LEDs lit.

More
25 Mar 2019 00:35 #129542 by james891
Theres a com port rs232, that goes to the ATC, then the main big connector and a parallel type of port both go to the main board. I wonder if I just need a fresh install in NT and try again. Are you still running everything as from the factory?

More
25 Mar 2019 01:36 #129549 by project-pegasus
Yes. I'm running the factory software, though I've had problems with the ATC as you can read all about above. You might try reinstalling the Intelitek and Nextmove software as well as the machine specifics floppies if you have those. Are you sure you have the right address for the card's DIP switch setting?

More
25 Mar 2019 14:12 #129568 by x-Intelitek Engineer
That Nextmove daughter card is used for a rotary 4th axis. It plugs into a connector on the lower back wall of the machine. If you do not have the rotary axis, there is a shorting plug that needs to be installed to prevent the s/w from failing its internal self-testing.

There were many times that a fresh clean NT install corrected many issues. If you do not have the machine specific floppy disks, Intelitek should still have the machine specific data that you need for the setup and compensation files. You will just need to supply them with the machine S/N.

Do you have any of the original Benchman documentation? There was a lot of information in the users guide.I do have a preliminary copy, but most of the data should be accurate for a machine of your vintage.

Once you can get past that initializing the control board error, getting you up and running should be possible.

More
25 Mar 2019 16:35 #129588 by x-Intelitek Engineer
Weren't you sending that ATC board to Intelitek for evaluation?
What part of the country are you in?
I don't want specific address, just general area.
I do some limited traveling and it is possible I'm going through your area and could stop and maybe help.
These Benchman machines are my babies and I hate seeing them act up.

More
25 Mar 2019 17:35 #129595 by james891
I'm in Cambridge Ontario, Canada. I think the company I bought it from did that(I picked this up a few weeks ago). The seller mentioned doing that and that the ATC board is confirmed to be working. It might even be the motherboard of the computer, usb doesnt work, cd works rarely. If Im to get a newer (used probably to run NT), what should I make sure of? I havent found the name of that exact type of slot it goes into on the motherboard.

More
25 Mar 2019 17:42 #129596 by x-Intelitek Engineer
You will need a motherboard with a full size ISA slot for the Nextmove card.
New ones are hard to come by these days.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds