Emcoturn 120 lathe retrofit

More
09 Jun 2016 14:15 - 09 Jun 2016 14:16 #75730 by LutzTD
Replied by LutzTD on topic Emcoturn 120 lathe retrofit
but since it buzzes, isnt that a sign it is not new either? I bought it as "new in box" now I know its not the right box so maybe its more like "used in a box". can I clean it or something to get rid of the buzz? Or do I not need to worry about the buzz?
Last edit: 09 Jun 2016 14:16 by LutzTD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2016 03:01 #75799 by LutzTD
worked a little bit on the encoder plate while I wait for more control parts. I cut the hole for the encoder locating bore. Likely I will just do the rest with the manual bridgeport and with a transfer punch, I dont have a mill cutter small enough to do a proper cnc cut and Im wanting to get this done so the old fashioned way will have to do.

Attachments:

More
11 Jun 2016 17:04 #75827 by LutzTD
got the encoder mount plate finished. It interfered slightly with an ear on the lathe, rather than cut the lathe spindle housing I notched the BEI encoder just enough to give good belt tension. Once mounted it works good, I did remove it again and shorten the screws, the belt drifts in and rides on the spindle plate, but it did this before as well. Doesn't seem to effect anything.

Attachments:

More
13 Jun 2016 02:35 #75895 by LutzTD
worked on a couple things today. I used one of the many extra cables from the emco to make a new encoder cable. The BEI encoder had a 7 pin military style connector, I found a new mate and soldered the connector and mounted it. I also flipped the wire box on the spindle motor as it was close to the Z-axis stepper travel envelope, now its zero problem. I also figured out a way to turn on the Dell computer from outside the control box. The green button is a standard industrial control butto, (actually a $2 chinese copy) I removed the switch and turned a dowel rod to fit tight in the back of the button. It has a very small travel and with a belt sander I modified the length to just push the on button on the dell at the end of the green button travel. Works very nice.

Attachments:

More
13 Jun 2016 09:19 - 13 Jun 2016 09:21 #75901 by andypugh
You could have unplugged the case button from the MB

Actually, looking more carefully, you can't can you?.
Last edit: 13 Jun 2016 09:21 by andypugh.

More
13 Jun 2016 11:06 - 13 Jun 2016 12:10 #75911 by LutzTD
no, that was the deal, I would have had to desolder the button leads (SMT) from the motherboard and then solder on wires to make the switch, in the end the mechanical solution was the least painful. I know it looks kinda kluged, but it actually works quite well and it saves me opening the control box every time I start up.
Last edit: 13 Jun 2016 12:10 by LutzTD.

More
23 Jun 2016 20:36 #76515 by LutzTD
haven't had time to get out to the shop. But I have ordered a few more components. Here is an updated control cabinet layout with line reactors, emi filter, resistive brake, cabinet fan and updated layout per my weeks of assembly. I may end pu moving the brake as it would be a bump hazard if it sticks out that far. I was hoping to place it over the cabinet air exit to give it some moving air but I may have to change that plan so it will fit through a 3ft door.

Attachments:

More
24 Jun 2016 12:34 #76545 by andypugh
If that is the brake resistor on the left of the view it looks massively oversized. It doesn't have to be continuously rated.

More
24 Jun 2016 13:29 - 24 Jun 2016 13:31 #76554 by LutzTD
yes it is the brake resistor. The literature for the VFD said to use a 40 Ohm 400 Watt. The size is based on the literature I could find on the new old stock one I bought, it might be modeled wrong. But I'll admit I didn't even think about duty cycle. Oh well, I think its going to get tucked up under the lathe frame so size wont hurt me for any other reason will it?

Sadly on the flip side the VFD is 2X the one in the picture, so the entire layout will need to be "adjusted"
Last edit: 24 Jun 2016 13:31 by LutzTD.

More
24 Jun 2016 13:37 #76556 by andypugh

yes it is the brake resistor. The literature for the VFD said to use a 40 Ohm 400 Watt. The size is based on the literature I could find on the new old stock one I bought, it might be modeled wrong."

It looks like 200x60x30mm is about right:

docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdoc...0900766b80fecc81.pdf

So, they are a fair size, but could possibly just go on the outside of the box. In non-industrial use I doubt that it will get hot enough to need a safety cover.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.461 seconds