New Mill Build...Can I use LinuxCNC?

More
03 May 2020 09:34 #166487 by tommylight
Yup that VFD will work with Mesa 7i92 to it's full speed, it will also work with a parallel port but not up to full speed, most probably as most of the parallel ports in the last 15 years do 3.3V, not 5V.
And you can use some "arduino relays" to do the ON/OFF and direction change on the spindle, they are about 3$ each or in groups of 4 or 8.
Since you have 3 drives that will need 6 pins plus 1 for enable (might not be enough to drive 3 drives), so that leaves 5 outputs, 2 or 3 for the spindle, so enough outputs, and you can do all limit and home switches to 1 input leaving 4 more for probe or something else.
You can remove the BOB or parallel port at any time in the future and just plug the 7i92, the difference is with that BOB you will be limited to around 10000 pulses per second, directly with parallel port from 20000 to 50000 depending on how god the latency on the PC is, and with the Mesa it can do up to 10 million pulses per second. That is very nice if you use a lot of microstepping on the drives so the motors work much smoother.
Again, the best solution would be 7i76E, and yes you can use the 12V for the field power, the same one powering the vents.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2020 09:54 #166494 by rodw

Again, the best solution would be 7i76E, and yes you can use the 12V for the field power, the same one powering the vents.

And you could even use one of the analog inputs to monitor the voltage on the fan...

More
03 May 2020 11:24 #166502 by Mike_Eitel
I see a nice mecanical setup and that deserves equal balanced electronics.
SO No doubt on my side. Go for a 7i76e.
And 24V. This gives you higher emv surpression and all industrial sensors run with them. The inductive ones get quit cheepo and have to my expirience good repeatability.

I see 5 power supplies. Ok 3 for the motors, but why two others. If u use 24V u can buy for ca 5 bugs an adjustable dc/dc from 24 to 10 v for your fan. The rest is hanfled by the 7i76e.
m5c
Mike

More
03 May 2020 13:08 #166505 by JohnnyCNC
Thanks Rod. I was looking for that diagram but couldn't find. It is a great reference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
03 May 2020 16:51 #166514 by Mayberry Customs
You guys have already been such a great help, and I really appreciate it. Great wiring diagram as well!
Ok so obviously the 7i76e is the only real option...so let’s assume that I am purchasing that board from here on out...so to me the most simple solution is to yank the BOB and Pull the 5v power supply I was using for BOB and drivers. Put one of these 24v din power supplies in its place. MEAN WELL EDR-120-24 Single Output DIN Rail Power Supply 24V 5 Amp 120W www.amazon.com/dp/B00UR98FSS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HvRREbRFRVWB1
Is this power supply sufficient, I see they have different wattage ratings?...use the power from the wall for the 24v PS that is already there from the 5v PS. The 7i76e then provides all of the 5v power I need for logic power and for my drivers from the one 24v PS...just leave the 12v power supply for the fans alone as it is already there and all hooked up.

In the previous wiring configuration that I used from Longs Motor I didn’t use the + - enable ports. Should I with the Mesa board?

Thanks again, Andy

More
03 May 2020 16:55 #166515 by Mayberry Customs
One more thing, I see in the diagram the wiring for the spindle control from the board to the VFD...am I correct in assuming that this is simplified by using the The RS485 interface that was previously mentioned?

More
03 May 2020 17:02 #166517 by tommylight
You can use the same 12V for powering Mesa.
And yes you should use the enable inputs with Mesa, but you can add those after you get the machine working. It is not required, but it is nice to have.
RS485 will simplify the wiring, but the hal setup is a bit more complicated.

More
03 May 2020 17:39 #166519 by Mike_Eitel
Congrats that you decided to go 7i76e.
I have my vfd connected as described in norberts diagram via 0-10V digital pot. Plus the according isolated digital signals on the same spindel related plug, means using the vfd as power supply for them. Works fine.
Just have a look that there is not drive internal potentiometer connected in the same time.
I judge that as much simpler than any RSxxx serial connection.
And i use an indexed encoder on the spindel. Lets u mill threads
Mike

More
03 May 2020 19:30 #166527 by Mayberry Customs
Digging around in the documentation I ran onto “JT’s Tutorials” ...I see that he has some extensive documentation for the 7i96 board, seems very helpful to a noob like me...can anyone elaborate on the difference between the 7i76e and the 7i96. The pros and cons? Thanks, Andy

More
03 May 2020 20:04 #166534 by tommylight

...can anyone elaborate on the difference between the 7i76e and the 7i96.

Since i never used a 7i96 i am not best suited to reply, but as far as i know 7i96 has less I/O and is better suited for plasma while 7i76E has everything needed for a mill and then some.

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds