New Mill Build...Can I use LinuxCNC?

More
19 Oct 2020 06:35 #186562 by rodw
just check what the minimum screen resolution needs to be for Gmocappy (or calibrate/adjust your screen)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2020 04:43 #187497 by Mayberry Customs
Has anyone ordered from Moons before? The quality seems pretty high from just viewing their website but I don't love the idea of ordering from China. Anyone had any experience with them or the motors? Thanks, Andy

More
28 Oct 2020 11:14 #187549 by rodw

Has anyone ordered from Moons before? The quality seems pretty high from just viewing their website but I don't love the idea of ordering from China. Anyone had any experience with them or the motors? Thanks, Andy

Yes, I have a couple of their NEMA34 motors. Delivery was pretty good to Australia. Happy with the quality and the accelerate at 0.5G. I think they ship for free to the US or have a distribution centre there.

I was reviewing some of their products against our engineering model last night. Their motors do not seem to have as much rotational inertia as other brands so it was hard to match our requirements.

The other industrial quality motor is from Motion King which according to my Lam Technologies distributor are used by most of his clients use but I think their MOQ was 10 units.

More
28 Oct 2020 12:56 - 28 Oct 2020 13:51 #187556 by Himarc3D
catalog.orientalmotor.com/
The main is 5 phase (AC driver) but they offer 2 phase too (i have some motors from oriental 2 phase 1.8)
Moons at maker fair one guy used this but for 3D printer stuff and from chinese motor IMO is the best, the drivers i dont see it yet.
Oriental 5 phase i saw for scara use
Last edit: 28 Oct 2020 13:51 by Himarc3D.

More
20 Nov 2020 17:56 #189903 by Mayberry Customs
Quick update on my machine and a new question. I ended up buying another set of stepper motors with much higher amperage and really low inductance. I actually found them on eBay. I bought them for the spec and availability but hey happen to be cheap as well. I was a little skeptical and the included wiring diagram was incorrect but other than that they have worked out perfect. Here is the link in case anyone is interested www.ebay.com/itm/153848314334

They are much faster, smoother, and better in every way and the holding torque is still in a comfortable range.

I have been doing all the setup, tram, and calibration the last couple of weeks. I ran several test parts so far. Here is a link to a video of some of my first cuts.
It has really impressed me so far. Rigidity and power is of no issue so far, so I’m really happy with that.

One question I have is on using my tool setter. I am using gmoccapy as my interface. I know the gmoccapy docs have a section on auto tool measurement, and I think that’s a pretty neat way to do it, but just not really the workflow I would like to have. First of all I have no concern with tool changes being in my code, I actually prefer the idea of breaking the program up.
So the workflow I would like to have is to put in the first tool, find the top of my part and set G54 on the z axis to zero, go over to my tool setter and touch this tool off (or visa versa, tool setter first then G54). This first tool would become my reference tool. Then when I load the next tool I could use the tool setter to find the difference in length and compensate accordingly. I think this is a fairly common workflow.

How do I go about implementing this? Can someone steer me in the right direction? Thanks, Andy
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Himarc3D

More
20 Nov 2020 18:22 #189906 by tommylight
Looking good ! :)
Damn those steppers are cheap, but as always i am to far from everything. Not that i need them, though, i still have some.

More
20 Nov 2020 20:59 #189924 by Mayberry Customs
Ya they are cheap, I’m wondering if maybe that seller had them made to his spec in China but had to order a min qty and is selling the rest. It’s pretty hard to find motors with these specs as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
21 Nov 2020 06:27 #189958 by Mayberry Customs
I messed with the tool setter some tonight. I found another thread referencing tool-length-probe.ngc example that comes with Linux and how to implement it by manually adding it to code for auto tool changes. So i used these two sections of code and added two macros in Gmoccapy. One called reference and the other tool change. Here is what they look like

O<reference> sub
g20
g90 g49
(measure reference tool)
g30 (above switch)
g38.2 z-4.00 f15 (measure)
g91 g0z.2 (off the switch)
#1000=#5063 (save reference tool length)
(print,reference length is #1000)
g90 (done)
O<reference> endsub
M2

O<tool_change> sub
(measure next tool)
g30 (above switch)
g49 (measure without the last tool's offset)
g38.2 z-4.00 f15 (measure)
g91 g0 z.2 (off the switch)
g43.1 z[#5063-#1000] (set new tool offset)
(print,new length is #5063)
g90 (done)
O<tool_change> endsub
M2

So to test this i homed the machine, touched off all axis to 0 with a dial indicator zeroed in this position, and run the reference macro which seems to function. I can go back to zero on all axis and it comes back to zero on the dial indicator. So all seems good so far. then when i change the height of the tool i run the tool change macro and it seems to hit the probe at the same position so its not a false trigger, but when i come back to my indicator the offset is all wrong. Anybody have any ideas? One thing i was thinking was, do i need to do a "tool change" via the tool change button in gmoccapy. Im thinking this may be the issue, in a program you would call another tool before running the tool change code. While testing I did not use the "tool change" function between the two macros. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Andy

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds