2 seperate MPG handwheels for each axis - CNC Lathe build

More
16 May 2020 17:06 #167983 by Mike_Eitel
A... I see a 5i25 in your configuration. I believe that the pncconf configurator is intelligent and offers only what the card can do...
My feeling is that you have the problem in the start where you choose your cards..
But sorry pncconf is years ago....

But anyhow. Taking a good sleep helps. I mostely burn things up when i press myself to hard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2020 17:11 #167984 by denhen89
Thanks Mike_Eitel.
The thing is i want currently only test the MPG handwheel. I have no switches for the scale or so, so i would somehow need to have a scale selector on the Linuxcnc GUI. Also i want the encoder to be active and not as some have it with a button or so, because i currently do not have those things here, so i think my test setup should be less complicated.

Just to explain my situation shortly and why i am "just testing right now": I am still doing the mechanical stuff at my CNC lathe, and i need about 2-3 weeks to get the mechanical part done, but the MPG Handwheels part sits all the time in my head, because i have never done it and i knew it will be difficult, but not that difficult. I want to get it done, so i will have a free head to continue with the mechanical part. :dry:

@tommylight: That sounds really great, because i need fresh air. I will visit my gf and go out for a walk with the dogs to get some energy for tomorrow :D If you really take your time to help me out on tomorrow then let me know when i should be online.
Thanks in advance and have a nice evening!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
16 May 2020 17:18 #167985 by denhen89
@Mike_Eitel: Where do you see that i choosed 5i25? The configurations/Hal i posted are from other poeple, but you would need to read everything i wrote to understand why i posted it. In PCCONF i choosed 7i76e and also my HAL i do nowhere have 5i25, but only 7i76e, so that should be correct as i have it.

PS: i tested the halmeter in linuxcnc, tryied all enc0 pins, but when turning the handwheel, nothing happens. When measuring on the A and B wires from the MPG then i get 4,10V when turning the wheel. Not sure why 4,10V and not 5V.

More
16 May 2020 18:50 #167994 by tommylight

I mostely burn things up when i press myself to hard.

Learned that when i was young and stubborn as hell, now i just leave everything and go grab a coffee somewhere else, not in the shop.
I am in Europe, or part of it, so European time should do just fine, but at some point i will have to go help a friend assemble a plasma cutter as he dismantled it to have it painted, probably under an hour or so.

More
16 May 2020 18:57 #167995 by PCW
The raw count for MPG field inputs 16,17 should be

hm2_7i76e.0.7i76.0.0.enc0.count

To count, the inputs must swing below 2V and above 3V relative to field ground

More
16 May 2020 21:23 #168006 by rodw
Really all the info you need is in my build thread. forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/32029...build?start=20#85305
Hand editing your hal and ini files is the only way to go. Then you have total control.
pncconcf did not support the 7i76e when I started so I survived without it.
I use halshow a lot to watch pins and see what is going on as you can see more than one at a time in one window.
The only thing I thought of is that if you don't have the axis select switch installed, you might have to setp the MPG scale pin to a value. If it is 0 , nothing will happen.

ANd yes, I hit the wall heaps of times. So I Would stop for a day or so have a think then go back to it. Take Tommy's advice. Coffee is good!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike_Eitel, tommylight

More
17 May 2020 09:08 - 17 May 2020 09:11 #168035 by denhen89
I am not at home right now, but I wrote just minutes ago quiet a lot on my phone but when I posted it I got a "kunena internal error". As soon as will be back at home i will reply to all your answers.
Last edit: 17 May 2020 09:11 by denhen89.

More
17 May 2020 11:12 #168039 by denhen89
Alright, i am back at the test PC.

@PCW: Thanks for that! Now i do understand that the input pins 16 and 17 dont need to be somewhere in the HAL, because those pins are already linked with "hm2_7i76e.0.7i76.0.0.enc0.count". Correct?

To count, the inputs must swing below 2V and above 3V relative to field ground

So, 4.10V is totally fine.

@rodw: I have read your build thread many times, really, but my problem is, i have no switches at all, so i dont know what i have to change in the HAL so that the MPG is always active just to test it.

The only thing I thought of is that if you don't have the axis select switch installed, you might have to setp the MPG scale pin to a value. If it is 0 , nothing will happen.

Thats a good point. Make sense for me, but again i dont know what i have to enter/change in the HAL to set one scale which is always active, so that no switches are needed.

It seems that i would need to study all those codes for linuxcnc and the complete MESA 7i76e manual or so, but i want to be honest: I want a working machine and not be a pro in Linuxcnc setup. Some time ago i wanted to set up a test pc and learn classic ladder etc., but i do not have a lot of time anymore, so i want spent my free time with other things than something which i will not really need a lot in future. Of course i would like to understand the configuration, because later when the mechanical part on the Lathe is done, i want a panel with a switch for the scale change (ordered the same as you have, but i already wrote that i think on page 1). Also i want to have some buttons to start/stop g code, but right now i just do not want to think about it. As soon as i get the switch for the scale and some buttons i will start thinking about that.

In my next post i will precisly explain my current setup, so that it will be easier to help me out.

More
17 May 2020 11:31 #168042 by rodw
Thats the thing. There is not a dedicated support desk so you need to work a few things out yourself.

Where I said
net x-jog-scale mux4.0.out => axis.x.jog-scale
Try
setp axis.x.jog-scale 1

Assuming a metric machine, that will give you a 1mm step. Change it to suit if you are in inches ot it will move 1 inch per click!
I might ad that I di move 1 meter per click once!

More
17 May 2020 11:35 #168043 by denhen89
So, i just upgraded to Linuxcnc 2.9 pre.
Debian vers. 9

Wiring of MPG to Mesa 7i76e: See picture:

*GND from TB3 Pin 9 is connected to GND of TB3 Pin 23

I used PCCONF to create a RAW setup. See pictures:
Everything else has been not set up and left as default.
After the set up i changed in the HAL the sserial port: sserial_port_0=2xxxx
I attached the .HAL and .INI file

I started Linuxcnc, opened the Halmeter and unfortunately nothing happens when turning the MPG handwheel, no matter which Pins enc0 pins i choose. See picture:
Do i understand it correctly, that if the wiring of the MPG is correct, then something should happen in the Halmeter when selecting the correct Pin ?

To remember: I have no switches to select the scale also no buttons to enable to MPG, so as Rodw wrote, i would need to set a standard scale. Also i would need to have the MPG active without any buttons to press.
I hope that are all informations you need to help me out.
Of course, in meantime until i get some help i will try to get it done by my self and not just wait until someone helps :)

Thanks in advance guys.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.408 seconds