2 seperate MPG handwheels for each axis - CNC Lathe build

More
13 May 2020 17:05 #167668 by denhen89
I would like to have it as shown on the lathe on this video:

He does not use any "enable" button.
Its like on my cnc router, as long as there is no Gcode running, i can jog with my keyboard and do not need to hold any button. So i would like to have it also that way on the lathe. When Gcode is running, the MPGs are disabled, when gcode is not running - MPGs are enable and can be used without the need of holding or activating a button.
Maybe i do understand something wrong :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2020 21:15 #167681 by rodw
The MPG's are disbaled for you when doing Gcode

More
14 May 2020 07:14 #167704 by denhen89
Yes, that is how i thought it should be and i know from my CNC router. (when running gcode - no jogging possible).
But, when gcode is not running, can i then just use the MPG wheels to move the axis or do i first need to activate them? (that might be a strange questions, but i want to make sure i understand it correctly).

Today the 7i76e arrives, so i can start to make some tests :)

More
16 May 2020 11:48 - 16 May 2020 12:02 #167954 by denhen89
Hello,
after a lot of problems at installing the correct version of Linux/Debian, i got it yesterday to work. Linuxcnc 2.7 stable version is installed, the 7i76E is connected properly and linuxcnc starts without any errors.

I am trying to connect the MPG handwheels but i have to admit that i will not get it to work without any help. It is just to complicated for me. Thats because i am trying to do exactly what "Rodw" described on his Plasma build ( Rods "Spaceship" Scratch built Plasma Cutter build ) but also i found this topic: Mesa 5i25 and 7176 getting started (post: #58904) .

The wiring setup differs and that is for me already strange, because "Rodw" used the RS-422 interface and "amhfabs" used the TB5 1-4 Pins (or at least Pin 1 and Pin 2 for one mpg handwheels)

Actually i found this official manual: wiki.eusurplus.com/downloads/7i76E.pdf and on page "Connection of MPG's" the TB5 1-4 pins are used to connect the MPG Handwheels, so as "amhfabs" did it.
I hope you understand why i am really confused about the wiring and i did not even start with the HAL setup, which i think will be a much bigger problem for me. I do also dont know if i could make the whole HAL setup (also for the MPG handwheels) with pcconf tool, or just do it by writing the codes in the HAL by hand.

Trust me, i feel bad to ask you explain me exactly what to do, because i would like to do it by my self to understand it and get other things in future to work without any help, but it seems that this stuff is not for me. I managed to wire up a cheap Polish Breakout board for my CNC router with slave axis and did the HAL setup etc. somehow almost completly by my self, but the MESA 7i76e and MPG handwheels wiring and HAL setup is next level sh** for me if i can say so.. :laugh:

*on the picture you see my 7i76e card and how the 24v is connected.
MPG terminal wiring:

EDIT: I forgot to mention why its even more confused and at least you will maybe see that i am trying to think about the wiring and understand it and wire it up as "Rod" described in the Plasma build and hope it will work:
Rodw wrote:

I did run into trouble until I found a post from PCW which said if you are using a separate 5V power supply like I am, you needed to tie the 24 volt and 5 volt pin Grounds together. Eg. Connect TB1.1 to TB2.23. But if you follow this wiring schematic , you won't need to do thi

Thats confusing for me, because:
TB1 Pin 1 is : VFIELD FIELD POWER 8-32V
TB2 Pin 23 is: 23 DIR3+
That are both no ground pins, so i hope you understand why i am confused :dry:
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 May 2020 12:02 by denhen89.

More
16 May 2020 11:55 #167955 by Mike_Eitel
Not meant negative
What is your problem with the wiring diagram?
Do you have eventualy more terminals on your mpgs.

More
16 May 2020 12:02 #167957 by denhen89
I edited my last post and also attached a picture of the MPG terminal wiring.

More
16 May 2020 12:09 #167959 by tommylight
It is as simple as using pin 1 and 2 for the first MPG and pin 3 and 4 for the second one.
Pncconf will get you pretty close to what you need but some editing is required for setting it in mode2 and copy/paste the MPG stuff to where it belongs.
Smart serial is used in conjunction with 7i73 or some other Mesa cards.

More
16 May 2020 12:17 #167961 by tommylight

Thats confusing for me, because:
TB1 Pin 1 is : VFIELD FIELD POWER 8-32V
TB2 Pin 23 is: 23 DIR3+

Yup that is confusing as pin 23 ot TB2 is Dir+.
Just connect the ground of both power supplies together.
You can use Pin 1 on TB2 or TB3, but i would avoid that to prevent ground loops and current being drawn through 7i76.

More
16 May 2020 12:26 - 16 May 2020 12:28 #167962 by denhen89
First of all, thanks tommylight for your reply and help.

Okay, i will connect the A and B terminal of the first MPG to TB5 Pin 1 ( A ) and Pin 2 ( B ) and later the second MPG to Pin 3 and Pin 4.

In my .HAL i changed to mode2 (sserial_port_0=2xxxx)

Good to know that its also for you confusing.
Now about the power supplies: Everywhere i read "both power supplies", but that means the 24V supply (the extern main power supply for the board) and 5V supply e.g. from one of the stepper power pins and not a extern supply, right?
Last edit: 16 May 2020 12:28 by denhen89.

More
16 May 2020 12:33 #167964 by Mike_Eitel
Honestly. First I was confused as you are.
(i use 7i76e with 4 mpg but via 7i73).
But if you read field inputs can be used as 8bit analogs. So i think it is possible to let the fpga use them for 5v mpg signals.

I think best is if pcw chimes in.
Mike

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds