Lathe Macros

More
14 Oct 2022 21:06 #254133 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Lathe Macros
For 2.8 the simpler way would be to copy the set of files from the 2.8 branch.

If you are using the notouch and norun options then I suspect that you have copied the 2.9 files.

It is probably possible to make the 2.9 files work with 2.8. And there are significant enhancements in graphics and layout (plus extra cycles). I will see what it takes to make it work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotarySMP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2022 06:50 #254154 by RotarySMP
Replied by RotarySMP on topic Lathe Macros
Thanks for looking at that Andy.
Mark

More
15 Oct 2022 15:52 #254176 by andypugh
It's looking non-trivial.
The new version uses a GTKOverlay which does not seem to be available in GTK2. It ought to be possible to use GTK3 (which exists for Buster) but then GladeVCP is not compatible.
Installing the 2.9 version of GladeVCP on Buster / 2.8 might work, but how?

I am about to try a search-and replace in the XML file to see what happens, but I don't expect much.

More
15 Oct 2022 18:11 #254182 by andypugh
I have had some success, in fact I thought that I had it, but then saw that the speed and tool boxes have disappeared. These were in a GtkGrid pinned to the top right. And, you guessed it, GtkGrid isn't in Gtk2. So the editor was simply ignoring them. I might be able to put them in a GTKTable, but that's a fair bit of effort, and I am not sure how much you need it?Anyway, here is a modified Python handler (Py2 rather than 3) and .ui file (Gtk2 rather than 3). It works cosmetically with the same .svg and .ngc files,  but doesn't actually work as the system can't find the tool or surface speed any more.
Also, the run-button is not pinned to the bottom right any more.

This version only re-sizes the image when you change tabs. Which actually seems like something I might do to the other one, it appears that the expose_event happens very often.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotarySMP

More
15 Oct 2022 18:46 #254185 by RotarySMP
Replied by RotarySMP on topic Lathe Macros
Thanks Andy. How stable it 2.9? This machine is still in the project phase, and will be for a while still, so maybe it would be easiest to just upgrade to 2.9?

More
15 Oct 2022 20:34 - 15 Oct 2022 20:34 #254193 by andypugh
2.9 is reasonably stable, in fact I hope to split it off from Master for final stabilisation prior to release within the next few days. (and hopefully release will be before the end of this year) 
Last edit: 15 Oct 2022 20:34 by andypugh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
15 Oct 2022 21:38 #254195 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Lathe Macros
Let me know if you need any help with it, please.

More
16 Oct 2022 11:57 - 16 Oct 2022 12:12 #254216 by Thompo
Replied by Thompo on topic Lathe Macros
I re-installed Debian11 incase i screwed something up, but this time ran into dependency loops and gave up after a few hrs.

I have now followed @tommylight Linuxcnc 2.9 on mint 21 a nd i have it running (much easier for me to see whats happening) but i still get the issue of the "cycles" tab not doing anything when clicked, suggesting im the problem lol.
I have tried with a working machine and the simulation machine in the link here lathe macros.

Could someone confirm im doing this properly, even for the simulation version?
Download all the simulation .hal and .ini from here lathe macros.
Create a simulated machine using the lathe_macros.ini
Launch simulated machine and check for errors
Download and place all the .ngc/.ui.py/.svg into home/neil/linuxcnc/nc_files/ (Should i have a new folder in here?)
Run machine using lathe_macros.ini
Confrim Estop, power and home machine, jog/mdi to check it simulates.
Click on "cycles" tab - nothing happens here
click on MDI, hide keyboard - no macros show

Here is grab of what terminal is showing whilst i try to make it work.
Only things jumping out at me, suggesting my paths are incorrect? I have tried putting things in various places and creating new folders and defining them in the .ini but same results..

[GladeVCP.QTVCP.QT_ISTAT][WARNING]  Path not valid in INI File [DISPLAY] PROGRAM_PREFIX section (qt_istat.py:91)

Waiting for component 'gladevcp' to become ready.g-file-error-quark: Failed to open file “lathemacro.ui”: No such file or directory (4)
**** GLADE VCP ERROR:    With xml file: lathemacro.ui : 'gi.repository.Gtk' object has no attribute 'glade'
<commandline>:0: gladevcp exited without becoming ready

Thanks for any assistance.
Waiting for component 'gladevcp' to become ready.g-file-error-quark: Failed to open file “lathemacro.ui”: No such file or directory (4)
**** GLADE VCP ERROR:    With xml file: lathemacro.ui : 'gi.repository.Gtk' object has no attribute 'glade'
Last edit: 16 Oct 2022 12:12 by Thompo.

More
16 Oct 2022 13:32 #254219 by andypugh
The files all go in the config folder, not in nc_files.
(The .ngc files can probably be in nc_files but there is a risk that they might get "tidied up"). The .py and .ui definitely need to be in the config folder, though (same folder as the INI)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thompo

More
16 Oct 2022 22:08 #254274 by Thompo
Replied by Thompo on topic Lathe Macros
Thanks very much for the reply, made a tiny bit of progress and managed to clear one of the path errors by creating a macros folder in the config for the test_lathe.

Still not getting anywhere and im suspecting it could be an issue with glade? i have 3.38 ive found 3.40.0 but cant figure out how to install it as its a .tar.xz that i think is just an archive? i followed the readme install examples "apt get install" just gets 3.38 again and the manual option fails due to
Checking for function [code] "_gtk_widget_class_template_unset_only_for_glade" with dependency gtk+-3.0: NO

Couple of things i notice in the terminal dump, but dont really know what they mean.
[code](gmoccapy:185966): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 22:38:06.676: gtk_entry_set_text: assertion 'text != NULL' failed
0  =  /usr/bin/gmoccapy
1  =  -ini
2  =  /home/neil/linuxcnc/configs/lathe_test/lathe_test.ini

[code].....g-file-error-quark: Failed to open file “lathemacro.ui”: No such file or directory (4)
[/code][/code][/code]

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds