Work with probe

More
29 Jul 2015 22:44 #61018 by lerman
Replied by lerman on topic Work with probe
All of the code is contained in one file that must be in your path.

The current version of the interpreter requires that the file must match the name of the subroutine.
I name the file safe_probe_init.ngc.
Then I add symbolic links for each of the routines in the file:
safe_probe_xyz.ngc
safe_probe_edge.ngc
etc.

Regards,

Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2015 01:02 #61898 by LearningLinuxCNC
Replied by LearningLinuxCNC on topic Work with probe
Verser,

I want thank you for your work on this project and anyone else that has helped along the way. I installed my probe this morning and was able to get it up and running without issue. I have not tested out all of your probing routines yet but I am happy with the ones that I have been able to test.

That being said I would like to get you to make a couple of modifications to the documentation.

In your readme it says to add some lines to the .ini file that says the following:
[TOOLSENSOR]
# Control probe rappid feed
RAPID_FEED = 600

It should say the following.
[TOOLSENSOR]
# Control probe rapid feed (in machine units per minute)
RAPID_SPEED = 600

Note that Thor44 actually found the typo in RAPID_FEED to RAPID_SPEED.

Also state somewhere that the probe speeds are in machine units per minute instead of machine units per second as is found in the axis section of the .ini file.

I would also like to request a led on the probe page that shows when the probe makes for testing the probe prior to using it. I like to test the probe to make sure that the probe is working prior to running a probe move. Hopefully preventing a crashed probe.

Again big thanks for such a good add on to LinuxCNC. I will be doing a video review of the touch probe I purchased and I will be sure to include some footage and tips and tricks with your software.

Thanks again,

Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: verser

More
04 Sep 2015 07:32 #62104 by LearningLinuxCNC
I was working with the probe last night. I dialed in the concentricity of the probe then I was going to make some test moves to see if it was probing the ID of a circle correctly. I opened the probe screen and hit the probe z button and the machine goes to full rapid crashing the probe into the workpiece. :sick: I look at the parameters on the probe screen and they had reset to the default values and were not the values that I had entered a couple days before.

My question is what would cause the probe screen to lose the last entered parameters and to go back to the default parameters? I have opened and closed LinuxCNC several times and the parameters persist but they did not this one time and I did not check before probing. I am using Gmoccapy and 2.7pre7.

I learned my lesson. Always check the parameters before probing.

More
04 Sep 2015 11:22 #62109 by thor44
Replied by thor44 on topic Work with probe
In the traj part of your ini file what default units are you using? and in your ini file what is the rapid_speed value?

More
04 Sep 2015 16:03 #62112 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Work with probe

crashing the probe into the workpiece

Can it be repaired?
I know how you feel, in a moment of brain fade I pressed the tool release button with my Renishaw probe in the spindle and dropped it on the work, smashing the stylus and breaking the 3 rods inside it.

what would cause the probe screen to lose the last entered parameters and to go back to the default parameters?

The parameters in a Glade screen are typically saved to file when the screen exits. If the screen doesn't exit normally or if the persistence file is corrupted, then you may see defaults re-appear.

It might be a good plan to change the defaults for the probe screen controls. This might actually be easiest in a text editor if you can read XML.
The following user(s) said Thank You: verser, LearningLinuxCNC

More
04 Sep 2015 19:14 #62116 by LearningLinuxCNC
Thor44,

My machine units are inches and my Rapid_Speed parameter for probing is 30 in/min. The issue was that the top spinbox in the probe screen was set to 300 units/min by default, which my machine is currently set up with a 180in/min rapid and it was going sufficiently fast that the decelleration was not quick enough that the probe tip bent when it crashed into the workpiece.

Andy,

Yes the probe is repairable. Same as with your incident the stylus is trashed and also the hub with the pins is no longer suitable for use. There was a spare hub supplied with the probe but I needed to order the stylus.

I will update the defaults in the XML file. Perfect answer to the question I did not ask! ;)

Thanks guys. Hopefully I will have it up and running again the beginning of next week.

Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: xpkiller

More
04 Sep 2015 19:26 #62118 by LearningLinuxCNC
Verser,

Another future feature for the probe screen would be to add a "Save Parameters As Defaults" button to overwrite the default spinbox values to a user's custom defaults.

Just a thought.

Thanks again.

Jim

More
04 Sep 2015 19:47 #62119 by LearningLinuxCNC
It appears that the default values are defined in the probe_screen.py file in this section of code.
        self.spbtn1_search_vel.set_value( self.prefs.getpref( "ps_searchvel", 300.0, float ) )
        self.spbtn1_probe_vel.set_value( self.prefs.getpref( "ps_probevel", 10.0, float ) )
        self.spbtn1_z_clearance.set_value( self.prefs.getpref( "ps_z_clearance", 3.0, float ) )
        self.spbtn1_probe_max.set_value( self.prefs.getpref( "ps_probe_max", 1.0, float ) )
        self.spbtn1_probe_latch.set_value( self.prefs.getpref( "ps_probe_latch", 0.5, float ) )
        self.spbtn1_probe_diam.set_value( self.prefs.getpref( "ps_probe_diam", 2.0, float ) )
        self.spbtn1_xy_clearance.set_value( self.prefs.getpref( "ps_xy_clearance", 5.0, float ) )
        self.spbtn1_edge_lenght.set_value( self.prefs.getpref( "ps_edge_lenght", 5.0, float ) )

I will update to my default values here so hopefully when my brain fails me again it won't cost a probe stylus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thor44

More
06 Sep 2015 08:31 #62157 by thor44
Replied by thor44 on topic Work with probe
In my book crashing a probe ranks up there with a death in the family. So sorry to hear about the crash. Thanks for the heads up on the default settings I'll check my set up and make adjustments.

I have one of the last parts that I need to finish building my machine, now I need some time.

More
17 Sep 2015 21:34 #62705 by racedirector
Replied by racedirector on topic Work with probe
The famous RAPID_SPEED error has struck... just downloaded from git and installed on the axis sim. Screenshot shows the required entry in the ini DOES exist. Where to from here?
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.295 seconds