Custom Mint-19.2 with Linuxcnc

More
18 Feb 2020 17:05 #157732 by Clive S
This failed for me. Made usb stick fine and booted to live disc no problem.

But then is seemed to copy files over ok and got to the end where it said reboot but then the screen flashed to quick to read, but something about kernal not compiled. Then after some time a message came up.

"could not update ICEuthority file /home/cnc/.ICEauthority"
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2020 19:08 #157738 by BeagleBrainz
Ok it would be nice if you say when these particular messages pop up.

But I’m guessing on reboot purely on the user name.

The “not compiled” is not an issue unless you are worried about spectre, look it up.

What happens after before the ICEAuthority message and what happens after ?
If you google about this there is a simple fix.
Although I didn’t go through the installation process on real hardware I did on a virtual machine and it went smoothly.
Could you check the md5 sum of the iso ? Google for the procedure if you don’t know how to. We were having electrical storms in our area and I’m on a 4g wireless network for my internet.

More
18 Feb 2020 19:35 #157740 by tommylight
Downloaded, used Multisystem, it boots and works on a Lenovo T420S, graphic at 1024X768, sluggish but usable from USB, but the latency is strange, like really strange at 41000 !!! This laptop never does under 300000 no matter what or how or what kernel! Will have to do some more testing, but if that proves to be correct after installation, i owe you a beer or two. :)
Have to check also the Dell E6510 as it also has terrible latency, even with Ubuntu 10.04 and RTAI, Debian Wheezy RTAI, whatever else i could try, latency=terrible, on both of them.
Later with more useful info, unlike most of the above.

More
18 Feb 2020 20:46 #157752 by BeagleBrainz
Big thanks really have to go to whoever configured, built and uploaded the kernel. I just put the jigsaw together. Only downside is the Nvidia nouveau driver doesn’t play nice hence the resolution.
But yeah it is a really low latency kernel, really will have to see how it goes on the T60 with docking station as the station has a Parallel Port.

I’m really curious how it would go with XFCE edition of Mint. Could it bring some older 64 bit systems back to being a viable proposition ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
18 Feb 2020 20:48 #157753 by cncthunder
Installed the new RTAI on an old Mini-itx GA-E350n.
Did the update commands and all seems to work. Latency is under 10000!!
The test build from the beginning of this thread with Preemt RT was 10 times worse 100k.

Looks great so far. Many thanks

More
18 Feb 2020 20:54 #157756 by BeagleBrainz
Thanks for the feedback.
This iso took a few goes as I kept having brain farts and forgetting little things.

More
18 Feb 2020 22:19 #157769 by Clive S

What happens after before the ICEAuthority message and what happens after ?

This message was a popup screen with a close button. but it would not close so had to power off.

I will re download and try again in the morning.

The only thing I did different from the other ISO's I tested is that when the usb booted to live. I went into admin and power saving then changed it so it would not go to sleep. ie. changed 30min to never I also did the same with the screen saver.

More
18 Feb 2020 22:25 #157771 by tommylight

The only thing I did different from the other ISO's I tested is that when the usb booted to live. I went into admin and power saving then changed it so it would not go to sleep. ie. changed 30min to never I also did the same with the screen saver.

That should have no effect on installation at all. In a bit maybe, just maybe i can grab one of my laptops and test the installation.

More
18 Feb 2020 22:31 #157773 by Clive S

That should have no effect on installation at all. In a bit maybe, just maybe i can grab one of my laptops and test the installation.

Yes I agree Tom but I was just trying to say exactly what I did different. The live install went fine and the install to hard drive seemed to go fine until the end.

But I don't mind trying again
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
18 Feb 2020 23:04 #157778 by BeagleBrainz
For some reason it may appear that your home directory ended up being owned by root.

Clive could you try doing the same thing in the same order on a Std Mint install image. It maybe a bug in the Mint installer.

Time to create page: 0.405 seconds