Custom Mint-19.2 with Linuxcnc

More
19 Feb 2020 00:01 #157783 by tommylight
Just did a fresh install from Multisystem USB, mind you, and it all works properly.
Tested on the Dell E6510, took about 9 minutes and it boots and runs Linuxcnc without a single hiccup.
One thing to keep in mind for new users, when prompted to change to local repos by the update manager, choose OK. Otherwise it uses the Australian repositories.
Good job, thank you, Beagle.
P.S.
You just made a lot of work i put into making my ISO's boot from Multisystem utterly obsolete !
And i am gladly and with a smile on my face getting rid of them ! Mine, i mean, not yours! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2020 00:41 #157790 by BeagleBrainz
Yeah the Aussie repos work pretty good my neck of the woods ;)

In actual fact when I create the images I have a repo at home with all the common packages. So downloading doesn’t take forever. Even have few scripts now that do most of the donkey work.

Once again thanks to all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
19 Feb 2020 00:50 #157792 by tommylight
I did update and dist-upgrade from those repos and it went very fast.
Given the gazillion miles of underwater optical cables going to your side of the planet, quite a feat for sure.

More
19 Feb 2020 01:05 - 02 Apr 2020 23:17 #157796 by BeagleBrainz
Mint 19.3 XFCE RTAI Available for testing
FIXED Please note I had an attack of the Stupids and forgot Mesa Flash & Hostmot2 firmware

Mint 19.2 Mate RTAI here forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...xcnc?start=10#157707
Mint 19.2 Mate RT_PREEMPT here forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...uxcnc?start=0#157411
  • Linux Mint 19.3 XFCE with 4.14.148-rtai kernel package from www.linuxcnc.org/temp
  • Linuxcnc v2.8 from sources Latest commit 084acf1
  • Geany, gFTP & Midnight commander included
  • Initramfs modified to work when booted from a vfat filesystem, ie supports Multiboot
  • qtvcp screens & designer support included
  • Mesaflash and hostmot2 firmware included now included
  • If booting stalls on Regenerating SSL certifcates please press shift, on a VM make sure the keyboard is captured
  • "Moving thru molasses" issue fixed via modification to grub config

Please use win32diskimager if using a windows machine to write image to disk.
In Linux dd is recommended.

Unlike other images I posted this has been created using a virgin install of Mint 19.2 on real hardware.
To apply updates to fresh install open a terminal and use the following, this should not upgrade the kernel.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

ISO Image:
No longer available do not ask for access

MD5 Checksum:
No longer available do not ask for access

All issues and support should be directed to this thread.
Last edit: 02 Apr 2020 23:17 by BeagleBrainz. Reason: No longer available do not ask for access
The following user(s) said Thank You: nkp, tommylight, Sneaky

More
19 Feb 2020 01:08 - 19 Feb 2020 01:28 #157797 by BeagleBrainz

I did update and dist-upgrade from those repos and it went very fast.
Given the gazillion miles of underwater optical cables going to your side of the planet, quite a feat for sure.

Not to mention our stupid copper/fibre/hybrid internet infrastructure...yes it's a débâcle here in Australia.

One thing that might be nice, I'm no way artistic, would be a Linuxcnc desktop background, or if anyone has the talent a whole theme. But that's just eye candy but I thought it may make it stand out from a standard Mint Livecd & install.
Last edit: 19 Feb 2020 01:28 by BeagleBrainz.

More
19 Feb 2020 02:08 #157801 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Custom Mint-19.2 with Linuxcnc

Not to mention our stupid copper/fibre/hybrid internet infrastructure...yes it's a débâcle here in Australia.

Yes it is, but I'm happy becasue I have Fibre to the premises both at home and at work... But when the govt owned NBN went down, I had no phones, no accounting systems and no access to our website. At least the phone directs to my mobile. Its taken a while but after experiencing that, I now have a failover connection to 4G.

More
19 Feb 2020 02:17 #157802 by BeagleBrainz
I'm 4G only and really happy with it. Makes more sense when you are renting.
I think it only took delivery time to get online via 4G not the 10 million weeks for NBN.

More
19 Feb 2020 02:27 #157803 by phillc54

I think it only took delivery time to get online via 4G not the 10 million weeks for NBN.

It must have slowed down recently, mine took only 9 million weeks.

More
19 Feb 2020 09:28 #157820 by tommylight
I will have a chat with my bro regarding wallpaper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

More
19 Feb 2020 11:30 #157837 by Clive S

For some reason it may appear that your home directory ended up being owned by root.

Clive could you try doing the same thing in the same order on a Std Mint install image. It maybe a bug in the Mint installer.

I deleted and re downloaded the linuxmint-19.2.0-2020.02.18-rtai-lcnc-v28-mate-64bit ).iso agian with the same result. It booted to the live no prob. then installed to HD and it went to the message "install complete restart now" a short while later the message came up with "remove medium then press enter" then I saw the spector V2 kernel not compile bit come up. That was it black screen

I have also downloaded the linuxmint-19.3.0-2020.02.19-rtai-lcnc-v28-xfce-64bit.iso This worked fine including installed to HD.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds