LinuxCNC on Linux Mint 20 quick and nearly easy install

More
03 Oct 2021 12:22 #222098 by tommylight
Ooops, this was made for the stretch version and that is not built anymore ! :(
Change the repo to Buster :
 sudo apt-add-repository 'deb buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ buster master-rtpreempt'
and manually disable or delete the stretch repo entry in "software sources", then update and dist-upgrade.
Sorry for missing that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato, hottabich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2021 13:26 #222103 by Clive S

sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade

And how does it help me?

The above needs to be typed in a terminal

More
03 Oct 2021 13:39 - 03 Oct 2021 14:08 #222104 by hottabich
The repository was added earlier. But deb packages from Buildboot need Python 3.7.  Writes can be updated and does not update.
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Oct 2021 14:08 by hottabich.

More
03 Oct 2021 15:49 #222113 by tommylight
Well the thing with Python has gotten to be absurd, nothing works any more.
Did you see this?
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...rd-new-windows-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: hottabich

More
03 Oct 2021 18:59 #222127 by hottabich
Thanks for your attention, I've seen and tried this. Some forum members update linuxcnc every day but don't share how. I think it is necessary through python env like django but I do not have enough knowledge.

More
03 Oct 2021 21:23 #222143 by tommylight
Not the same thing/howto/ISO.
The one you think it is, was for Mint 19.2 by Beagle. He was very good at it, shame he left.
This one is done by Snowwy and it is for Linux MX, it is lighter on resources although it boots slower than Mint.
The Python issue has nothing to do with the environment, it suffered to much changes lately to improve security so most of the old stuff does not work with the new versions. So Django will not help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hottabich, snowgoer540, my1987toyota

More
23 Jul 2022 07:41 #248101 by AryaNakh
I know I am reviving an old thread but I very much want to get Linuxcnc working on Linux Mint. Everything went well for me, but I need kernel headers for my wifi dongle to work. It is unable to find my headers. I followed the instruction for installing kernel headers but got caught by a circular dependency… gcc-6 requires cpp-6 and cpp-6 needs gcc-6 so I can install neither and therefore can’t get my the wifi drivers to recognize the 4.9 kernel headers. Thank you!

More
More
23 Jul 2022 10:04 #248105 by rodw

I know I am reviving an old thread but I very much want to get Linuxcnc working on Linux Mint. Everything went well for me, but I need kernel headers for my wifi dongle to work. It is unable to find my headers. I followed the instruction for installing kernel headers but got caught by a circular dependency… gcc-6 requires cpp-6 and cpp-6 needs gcc-6 so I can install neither and therefore can’t get my the wifi drivers to recognize the 4.9 kernel headers. Thank you!

As much as I love mint, it is way too far behind with Python versions etc when compared with Debian (which is the official distro Linuxcnc is built for).
UNnortunately, I had to throw mint out over 12 months ago.

Life will be  a lot easier if you adopt  Debian. Testing (aka bookworm) has Linuxcnc as a package that can be installed with sudo apt install linuxcnc-uspace and a much wider range of modern hardware is supported.

More
23 Jul 2022 10:45 #248107 by tommylight

Life will be  a lot easier if you adopt  Debian. Testing (aka bookworm) has Linuxcnc as a package that can be installed with sudo apt install linuxcnc-uspace and a much wider range of modern hardware is supported.

[/quote]
Not anymore, it was remover from Bookworm about a week ago, now only in Sid or "unstable" and the version in use is from April of this year.

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds