LinuxCNC on Linux Mint 20 quick and nearly easy install

More
22 Feb 2021 22:55 #199779 by tommylight
Try another graphic card, graphic card way to old or .....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2021 22:57 #199780 by MarcoGaspar
It's onboard....

Tomorow have a new one

More
15 Mar 2021 02:16 #202295 by Sven
I followed the instructions and it mostly worked for me. The kernel referenced doesn't seem to exist in that repository and it's kinda old now anyway so I installed 'SMP PREEMPT_RT Debian 5.10.13-1~bpo10+1 (2021-02-11)' from the same repository. I can report LinuxCNC works under that kernel on Mint 20.

I did struggle with signing the kernel for Secure Boot, never used that before. After spending hours following several instruction sources several times, trying both signed and unsigned kernel packages, I lost patience and disabled Secure Boot in Linux.

Other than those couple of issues it was rather straightforward following your instructions. I'll be hooking up a Mesa 7i76e, which I've also never done previously.

More
15 Mar 2021 02:28 #202296 by tommylight
wget ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/lin..._4.9.228-1_amd64.deb
That still works, and that is the one used in the tutorial. It was 5.4 but that is not found any more so glad you found 5.10.
Secure boot is another microsoft "showed upon us" useless feature.

More
15 Mar 2021 02:32 #202297 by Sven
Thanks. All the more reason to disable it then. I'll probably do it once and for all in my BIOS just to give my ex-employer a proper finger.

My machine will be mostly standalone due to not having wifi in my barn so I'm not too worried about hackers trying to steal my woodworking template designs ... lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
16 Mar 2021 02:37 #202440 by Sven
I interestingly found out not to allow Linux to update the kernel, for when it reboots the RealTime kernel will provide a lovely kernel panic and refuse to start. Thankfully, the generic kernel still booted so the issue was easily fixed by reinstalling the RT kernel. I disabled automatic kernel updates on my machine which will depend on me to perform them manually and track the repository ... which I probably won't do.

-Steve

More
16 Mar 2021 10:50 #202463 by tommylight
Sudo apt dist-upgrade
Should take care of not updating the kernel.
I did say should as i had one PC that would upgrade the kernel despite using that, other PC do not upgrade the kernel. Must have messed up something on that PC! :)

More
16 Mar 2021 18:26 - 16 Mar 2021 18:27 #202496 by Sven
Removing the linux-image-generic meta package will stop the kernel being updated. The kernel packages are not directly upgradable like, say, the LinuxCNC packages, being that they are all individual packages with unique names. Reinstalling that package will reinstate the kernel auto updates.

5.10 is very recent, recent enough that it should not need upgrading for some time. I may not mind updating every couple of years.

Linux has come a long way, I remember being on a 0.99 kernel back in the day. He says, wistfully ...

-Steve
Last edit: 16 Mar 2021 18:27 by Sven.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
26 Apr 2021 16:02 #207133 by daiman444
hello, colleagues. I installed everything by intsruction in the first post, but in addition to the usual linuxcnc, I need linuxcnc-dev to compile my own components, but it does not want to be installed, stating an unresolved dependency: phython-serial but it is not installable. perhaps I missed the answer to a similar question, so please tell me how to install this phython-serial correctly? I even found a deb package on the network and installed it, but the dependency remains unresolved. I would appreciate your help!

More
26 Apr 2021 16:13 #207136 by tommylight
Better use the Mint 19.3 for dev stuff, 20 has a lot of issues with everything Python.
Dev version of LinuxCNC can be installed and it works (after about 20 to 30 missing dependencies) but it will still stumble and fall when trying to compile anything lightly complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daiman444

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds