LinuxCNC on Linux Mint 20 quick and nearly easy install

More
26 Apr 2021 21:48 #207173 by rodw
try
pip install pyserial
might work. Some missing dependencies need to be installed from python not apt_get

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2021 23:07 #207181 by BeagleBrainz

Removing the linux-image-generic meta package will stop the kernel being updated. The kernel packages are not directly upgradable like, say, the LinuxCNC packages, being that they are all individual packages with unique names. Reinstalling that package will reinstate the kernel auto updates.

5.10 is very recent, recent enough that it should not need upgrading for some time. I may not mind updating every couple of years.

Linux has come a long way, I remember being on a 0.99 kernel back in the day. He says, wistfully ...

-Steve

5.10 goes EOL December 2022
4.19 goes EOL December 2024

Kernel with longest support in 5.x series is 5.4 which is EOL December 2025

But with all honesty users are more likely to want to use the latest release from their favourite distro. Python seems to be the biggest drawback ATM.

Tommy deserves a lot of thanks for his work with Mint 20.
To tell the truth on the Machines that I run with Mint 19.3 I still use a 4.19.x kernel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
26 Apr 2021 23:38 #207185 by tommylight

To tell the truth on the Machines that I run with Mint 19.3 I still use a 4.19.x kernel.

Same here, had to move back to 19.3 due to issues with Python 3 on Mint 20.

More
05 Sep 2021 03:19 - 07 Sep 2021 06:55 #219647 by phillc54
Hey Tommy, For a bit of fun I did a quick install of Mint 20 to check out the cpu usage, it took around 35 minutes from start to finish and the cpu usage at idle was 2% or less.

Mint 20 will not work for any master branch Buildbot packages as it has a different python version (3.8) but it works fine for run in place and probably 2.8 branch as well.

There are LinuxCNC uspace and uspace-dev packages here for Mint20 (no docs):
bit.ly/lcnc_py38

I used the Xfce edition from here:
linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=290

I ran through the standard install, then after the reboot I followed this procedure:

Open a terminal and run this command:
$wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/linux-signed-amd64/linux-image-5.10.0-8-rt-amd64_5.10.46-4_amd64.deb

When the download finishes open the file manager:
right click on the downloaded file > open with GDebi > Install Package

When the install is complete then close everthing and reboot.

Open a terminal:
$ uname -a

Should return:
Linux mint-20 5.10.0-8-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_RT Debian 5.10.46-4 (2021-08-03) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ sudo apt install -y git build-essential

$ git clone https://github.com/linuxcnc/linuxcnc.git linuxcnc-dev

$ sudo apt install -y debhelper dh-python libudev-dev tcl8.6-dev tk8.6-dev libtk-img bwidget tclx libreadline-gplv2-dev asciidoc dblatex docbook-xsl dvipng graphviz groff imagemagick inkscape python3-lxml source-highlight w3c-linkchecker xsltproc texlive-extra-utils texlive-font-utils texlive-fonts-recommended texlive-lang-cyrillic texlive-lang-french texlive-lang-german texlive-lang-polish texlive-lang-spanish texlive-latex-recommended asciidoc-dblatex python3-dev python3-tk libxmu-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgtk-3-dev intltool autoconf libboost-python-dev libmodbus-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev yapps2 libtirpc-dev libepoxy-dev python3-xlib libgtksourceview-3.0-dev libxml2-dev python3-pil.imagetk tcl-tclreadline python3-serial

$ ./linuxcnc-dev/lib/python/qtvcp/designer/install_script

1 to exit (unless you want to make a gui)

$ cd linuxcnc-dev/src

$./autogen.sh

$ ./configure

$ make -j$(nproc)

$ cd

$ ~/linuxcnc-dev/scripts/linuxcnc
From the ConfigPicker > Sample Configurations > by_machine > qtplasmac > config to suit your machine
Last edit: 07 Sep 2021 06:55 by phillc54. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, zack, hottabich

More
08 Sep 2021 13:23 #219941 by Muzzer
Managed to install the latest version (2.8.2-39) on top of a new Mint 20 installation, as described in the first post by tommylight no problem. I got sick of my last system freezing and concluded that the SSD may have been the root cause. Time may tell if that was the case.
  • I needed to use the second of the 3 alternative keyservers.
  • The Grub editor (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer) wouldn't install ("no PPA" or somesuch) but no problem - it's available in Software Manager.
  • The Mint 20 boot option actually came up described as Ubuntu, which was misleading (although I appreciate Mint is based on Ubuntu), as there were other versions listed that were described as Mint that would not work (no USB, so unable to use mouse or KBD). I've renamed it "Mint 20 with LinuxCNC2.8.2" and brought it to the top of the boot list. Not sure if I can / should remove the other unusable OSs but will leave them for now - let sleeping dogs lie etc.
  • Axis sim works. That's far from a definitive test but seems like a good start. Now I need to move my Probe Basic Lathe and Gmoccapy setups from the other SSD onto this one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
03 Oct 2021 06:50 #222076 by hottabich
Hello! Please tell me how to update linuxcnc2.9pre.0.

More
03 Oct 2021 08:53 #222080 by tommylight
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
The following user(s) said Thank You: hottabich

More
03 Oct 2021 09:58 #222086 by hottabich

sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade

And how does it help me?

More
03 Oct 2021 11:50 #222095 by BigJohnT

Hello! Please tell me how to update linuxcnc2.9pre.0.

Assuming you currently have 2.9 Tommy's reply was correct.

JT

More
03 Oct 2021 12:13 #222097 by tommylight
If you are using Mint 20 installed with this howto all you need to do is those two lines, it will update to the latest build of master.

Time to create page: 0.336 seconds