Beckhoff ethercat 64 with bit linuxcnc, How to install.

More
03 Mar 2021 18:53 #200928 by V-max

i'm a little confused about the Xenomai problem, have to check this tommorow.

git apply the_ patch , has given no errors ?
I compiled a few days ago without errors, maybe there is something broken with your rt kernel installation / config.

Ok, perfect. Thanks.

With git apply had some sintaxis problems but I solved.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2021 21:04 #201043 by db1981
Hello V-max,

i compiled on debian 9 and 10.
On buster with the same preempt version as yours. I can't produce any errors.

it is strange with the xenomai thing. normaly this shouldn't be used on your machine.
Maybe there is something special in the new iso?
Here is talked about the same thing forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...bxenomai-dev-says-no

synaptic packet manager gives no comment when you do update and upgrading ?

/debian/configure uspace hast to work, to get the right configuration. your config trys to compile xenomai uspace, but it should be preempt uspace. maybe at your kernel update something has get broken.
i will continue on investigation why xenomai will not work.

More
04 Mar 2021 21:34 #201049 by V-max
Hi DB

Hello V-max,

Here is talked about the same thing forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...bxenomai-dev-says-no

synaptic packet manager gives no comment when you do update and upgrading ?

No, Synaptic updates the packet and says nothing about the dependence.

I have read that in linuxmint is a need to enable some repositories too, as say in the last post of the above thread.

As I said, I'm not an expert, Could I add the ubuntu and linuxmint repositories on my sources list and try to update? or it is a stupid thing.

More
05 Mar 2021 20:05 #201121 by db1981
Hello V-max,

i can't find a reason for that problem. Compiling linuxcnc should not use xenomai with your installed preempt kernel. Strange is that debian/configure not work's.

please try a "make clean" in linuxcnc/src and try to compile again. but i think that it will not help.

What has been the reason that you updated the kernel from the iso manually ?

More
08 Mar 2021 21:24 #201487 by V-max
Hi DB

Hello V-max,

i can't find a reason for that problem. Compiling linuxcnc should not use xenomai with your installed preempt kernel. Strange is that debian/configure not work's.

please try a "make clean" in linuxcnc/src and try to compile again. but i think that it will not help.

What has been the reason that you updated the kernel from the iso manually ?

I have done make-clean and so on.
I have attached two dmesg files, the one which ends by db_xml is your xml (Changing only the voltage settings), the other is my real configuration. Both open Linuxcnc (RIP) and give this error:
"Lcec: unable to sync master 0 cycle to reference clock, RTAPI_TASK_PLL_SUPPORT not present"

With the one which ends by DB_xml , the drive goes to OP , nevertheless with mi configuration the drive goes to F4A5 (I haven't been able to run the driver with TWINCAT 3 with tSycc = 1ms Sync1=250us and Sync2=750us (attached screenshot) but curiously with the same configuration and tSync=10ms there is no errors).

The kernel was manually updated because the headers for the kernel of the PREEMPT version weren't available at Debian repositories (obsoletes).

In this situation I have a big mental block and several questions:
Can be the rip installation well done? Have I got EtherCAT synchronization problems?
Must I do a new clean installation? Which Kernel, headers, rips ...?
I'm using one office pc to test the solution but I thought that one old Panasonic CF-18 (Pentium 1,2 MHZ and 1 GB RAM) would be a good option to use as panel-pc on the machine, really, I have been trying to install Linuxcnc 2.7 + EtherCAT without any success. Any recommendation, Linuxcnc version, rip or not installation, give up the idea ..........?

Sincerely, thanks a lot!
Attachments:

More
08 Mar 2021 22:23 - 08 Mar 2021 22:28 #201492 by db1981
Hi V-Max,

"Lcec: unable to sync master 0 cycle to reference clock, RTAPI_TASK_PLL_SUPPORT not present"

this tells that the patch add-task-pll-functions is not yet applied or compiled within linuxcnc. my last info from you is that compiling the rip version with the patch has failed (xenomai problem), any news about that? Are you shure that you are running the rip version? (executed rip-environment script)?

Have I got EtherCAT synchronization problems?

yes, and still problems with the network_card or the driver (if you look at the dmesg, the link from the interface goes down in between) The clock problems will be solved when linuxcnc with the task-pll-functions patch is working. (then the start time of io task will be synced to the clock from the AX5000).

nevertheless with mi configuration the drive goes to F4A5

in the last AX5000 IDN file you attached. your config still has been set to position mode and the wrong pdo configuration. As i have written a few pages ago, with the native AX driver only velocity mode is possible at the moment. (my xml is configured for this) we can go further with this, when the patch and the rip Install is working....

I haven't been able to run the driver with TWINCAT 3

im shure this depends on the task setting of the NC TASK in twincat. I've calculated the values for your linuxcnc servoperiod of 1ms. If you create an new config in Twincat(2) task times are default set to 2ms and 10ms. SAF/SVB/IO

Must I do a new clean installation? Which Kernel, headers, rips ...?

meanwhile i think this would be the best. I'm not an linux admin in deep, i'm an programmer, i know my toolset for the stuff i need and everything else results for me at doing... I can't write down the steps for an full installation out of my head, the many last times i've setup an linuxcnc pc i simply used the Stretch rtpreempt iso and never got an problem.

Panasonic CF-18

I don't think that this will work. Preempt needs more resources as good old rtai. next to me lie 2 thougbooks cf-c1 at the moment, but i don't think that i would use them for realtime.

the next 2-3 days i have fulltime work with setting up an production center, after this i'm able to do an new installation with the actual linuxcnc iso on an test pc, and can write down the steps.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2021 22:28 by db1981.

More
09 Mar 2021 15:43 #201556 by Grotius
Hi,

I don't want to interrupt your guy's. But take a look at the current available linux ethercat distro

the next 2-3 days i have fulltime work with setting up an production center, after this i'm able to do an new installation with the actual linuxcnc iso on an test pc, and can write down the steps.
This is actual a good thing to do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
11 Mar 2021 11:22 #201799 by TheRoslyak
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grotius

More
16 Mar 2021 19:09 #202500 by V-max
Hi Again

I've been working hard.
To share my experiences installing fresh Debian 10 + RIP Linuxcnc + Ethercat, I will explain briefly the process I followed to help others loosed people like me.
I've reinstalled the OS following page 4 of this thread mainly + your instruction for the rip installation.
I had tried to solve all my driver's problems previous to the installation of linuxcnc even to the kernel update.
I had problems applying the patches and I had to try several times, always gave errors but watching the patches(reading the added and modified code lines in the patch and the patched file), I could ensure that the code was updated ( I believe ).
In order to apply the patches correctly, compiling linuxcnc from point 4 is needed,(./configure uspace)( correct me if I wrong).

Hi @DB,
I still have a problem with the configuration of my drives but applying the configuration you gave me I'm able to pass the driver to OP State. I've attached the dmesg of the system startup + one startup of LinuxCNC (rip). Please ¿ Can you take a look? I haven't the RTAPI_TASK_PLL_SUPPORT problem but sometimes appear :
"
task: main loop took 0.041086 seconds
Failed to get reference clock time: Input/output error
Failed to get reference clock time: Input/output error
Failed to get reference clock time: Input/output error"

¿What do you think about it? ¿ Can I think that the installation is OK now?

Thanks a lot.
Attachments:

More
16 Mar 2021 21:36 #202518 by db1981
Hi V-Max,

task-pll-functions is working thats fine.... If the drive stays OP, thats ok.

"EtherCAT ERROR 0-0: Failed to receive AL state datagram:" is a litte bit strange.
Can you please execute the get-sources script in ec-debianzie again and post the screen output. you don't need to install anything after this. Maybe saschas own patches in ec-debianze etherlabmaster/patches folder did not get applyd. I'm shure there is a patch for waiting for Al state datagramm.

About the installation routine. i'got no time for this yet. Last saturday i've got an idea to make quick an Can Drive Linuxcnc interface.... ~35 minutes code :-), rest of the day writing english docu... :-( .
About my quick setup job from last week... i'm still there. todays mechanical engineers think "there will come a guy with an laptop, he will do this..." I ask them how they would handle an indefinite system without sensors and constant mechanicals offsets. If one of them could went to the storage and get something thats capable to accelerate my electrical cabinet to Warp 10, because with this i'm able to do an time jump, and then machine 2 will get to know at which point in the past it should have took the palette from machine 1... Since then i'm rewriting libarys, waiting for counter cards, stopped counting the empty red bull cans and attach new "metallworker jokes" to the long list...... But i've got the permission to smoke, a little bit of rockn'roll felling is returning . :-)

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds