Another plasma component...

More
22 Jul 2019 02:33 #140142 by phillc54

Kerf crossing might be an exception for a small subset of users because your kerf crossing algorithm is better at detecting a torch dive than corner lock.

The enable checkbox will still be in the Run panel. Do you need to change the override value often?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2019 03:49 #140145 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Another plasma component...

Kerf crossing might be an exception for a small subset of users because your kerf crossing algorithm is better at detecting a torch dive than corner lock.

One could argue that a small subset of plasma users are hobbyists with low amperage machines and do not cut the range of material thicknesses cut in industry so they do not see some of the conditions that become evident in a production environment.

Kerf crossing (void sensing) and corner lock are two totally different conditions.

kerf crossing deals with the sudden spike in voltage when the torch traverses a void. The voltage rise rate is orders of magnitude higher than in normal cutting. Whilst the term implies it happens when crossing a kerf (to save production time), it also happens at the end of a hole when the slug drops away. It is more evident on thicker material. The THC responds to the voltage increase by a massive downward movement to correct the increased voltage. So we need to lock out the THC until normal cut conditions return.

Corner Lock (or velocity anti-dive) senses a reduction in cut velocity. Torch voltage is stable if the height and velocity remain constant. Slowing down the velocity will increase voltage so the THC will try and compensate by lowering the torch which can also cause a crash or poor cut quality due to wrong heights. This does not impact on just corners are there are many situations where the Trajectory planner cannot honour the commanded cut velocity. eg. short segments and irregular shapes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Clive S

More
22 Jul 2019 15:12 #140184 by mkardasi

The enable checkbox will still be in the Run panel. Do you need to change the override value often?

At the present, I adjust it when I change material thickness and correspondingly cutting speed. ie. A job cutting at 760mm/min to a job now running 1,900mm/min

One could argue that a small subset of plasma users are hobbyists with low amperage machines and do not cut the range of material thicknesses cut in industry so they do not see some of the conditions that become evident in a production environment.

Kerf crossing (void sensing) and corner lock are two totally different conditions.

I don't understand how this is relevant to Phil's question about Kerf Crossing Override not changing too much.

More
22 Jul 2019 19:38 #140228 by rodw

I don't understand how this is relevant to Phil's question about Kerf Crossing Override not changing too much.

Sorry, I missed who the poster was. Really the point is that people with small amperage machines don't see some issues that arise on thicker material and that Kerf crossing and Corner lock are two totally different features

More
22 Jul 2019 20:26 #140242 by tommylight
@Rod
What time is it there ?
Just discusing with some friends over coffee and french fries.

More
22 Jul 2019 21:24 #140246 by rodw
We are GMT +10 so its 7:30am now. Nothing like a 4:00am start though!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
22 Jul 2019 23:20 #140251 by phillc54

At the present, I adjust it when I change material thickness and correspondingly cutting speed. ie. A job cutting at 760mm/min to a job now running 1,900mm/min

That is probably because I haven't sorted kerf crossing out yet.

This is based on my particular machine which is only 600mm and capable of very high acceleration rates. Unfortunately, I have not been able to revisit this other than what is in the kerf crossing thread I started.

That is interesting, most others seem to think the opposite. Maybe you acceleration is too high?

More
23 Jul 2019 00:32 #140253 by mkardasi

That is probably because I haven't sorted kerf crossing out yet.

This is based on my particular machine which is only 600mm and capable of very high acceleration rates. Unfortunately, I have not been able to revisit this other than what is in the kerf crossing thread I started.

That is interesting, most others seem to think the opposite. Maybe you acceleration is too high?

Non-sense! Can never have too much acceleration, just ask any car guy! Kidding aside yes, I'm able to out accelerate the arc, my fly weight gantry allows me 1.3G in X/Y which is why I see things that others, who have more iron to throw around, do not.

Image 2 of this post shows kerf cross locking torch height when cutting into the corners of a 25mm square hole. 5 corners & 5 lockouts of THC...

Just an unintended feature that I'm taking advantage of... Don't let that stop you from making changes that you see fit.

More
23 Jul 2019 01:01 #140254 by phillc54

Non-sense! Can never have too much acceleration, just ask any car guy! Kidding aside yes, I'm able to out accelerate the arc, my fly weight gantry allows me 1.3G in X/Y which is why I see things that others, who have more iron to throw around, do not.

Wow, that's quite a bit more than HT's target of 40-50 mG.

More
23 Jul 2019 01:20 #140255 by mkardasi

Wow, that's quite a bit more than HT's target of 40-50 mG.

Ooof. I didn't know that plasma was that low. Thought it might be similar to a quality machining center. Do you have a document that you can point me to, Phil?

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.792 seconds