My Newb Plasma Table Attempted Build

More
08 May 2020 16:32 #167055 by dvn4life1972

Its taken me a good while to get my head around Sheetcam. Thre are lots of hidden gems. One thing that annoyed me that it seemed to have a mind of its own about cut order. So last full nest on 2mm I overrode it and it took for ages for me to set the order of each piece. So when I cut it I had a lot of warpage so I got to learn what the Sheetcam setting "Minimise for thermal distortion" really meant. Anyway, Les from sheetcam is a good guy and has contributed a bit of code to Linuxcnc and has always provided me with awesome support.

I tried out Sheetcam yesterday on a simple part, same one I referenced with Phil that I tried to run a post on in fusion 360. Sheetcam did the post and I attempted to cut it, but my torch was diving after some long lines into the float switch and shutting off. I disabled THC and it took care of it, so there's something to work out on the table itself. The holes came out really strange. I used the pp for Sheetcam that Phil posted, although until I redraw the dxf in fusion I'm not going to say it was 'this' or 'that' that caused the cut issues (aside from the torch diving, which isn't a Sheetcam issue at all).

Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2020 00:13 #167090 by dvn4life1972
I've been messing around with Fusion 360 and Sheetcam. Working through some issues with the pp and whatnot with Fusion 360. The files I get using Sheetcam are cuttable. I'm having an issue with the Sheetcam-generated files causing one side to dimension slightly different from the other. I've attached pictures of a test piece I've cut. I started fresh in 360 and made the part from scratch, then loaded the dxf file into Sheetcam. If you look closely at the actual part the upper reversed 'F' letters have different widths. Also on the sides where the fins transition into the main body of the bomb shape they are a bit different in dimension from each other, and at the bottom as well. Very strange as the file in the preview tab of plasmac looks symmetrical, and when I open the dxf in both 360 and Solidworks the dimensions are symmetrical as well. Has anyone ran across this before? It has me really dropping F bombs!

Attachments:

More
09 May 2020 00:18 #167091 by phillc54
The bottom curve doesn't look too symmetrical, I would be looking for something like mechanical backlash, slipping etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dvn4life1972

More
09 May 2020 00:23 - 09 May 2020 00:29 #167092 by PCW
My guess would be losing steps/or something loose in the Y direction
(look at the height of notches where the fins join the body of the bomb)

I think you can see where it slipped: right top V cut of right hand fin
Last edit: 09 May 2020 00:29 by PCW.

More
09 May 2020 00:40 #167095 by dvn4life1972
I'll check it out with a marker. Funny thing is that on 2 parts it's doing it in the same spot.

Pat

More
09 May 2020 18:51 #167162 by dvn4life1972
I got after it this morning. Discovered the pulley on Y2 set screws both had backed out. I went back and put locktite on all of them and retightened all of the belts. Problem solved, cuts really nice now.

I only have 60A consumables, so the charts call for 211ipm on the 10ga. Trouble is my compressor is way too small to keep up with that lol. So...gonna get a bigger one and probably some 40A consumables, as I won't be cutting very frequently any material over 7ga thickness.

The bracket was cut at 150ipm, but 195ipm was leaving nearly undetectable amounts of dross on the back. I guess it's time to get the water pan finished up...thing is leaving tons of the typical fine plasma cutting residue in my shop.

Thanks for the help.

Pat
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, tommylight, Clive S

More
09 May 2020 18:55 #167163 by tommylight
That is the "F" bomb ! :)
Nice.

More
15 May 2020 23:27 #167901 by dvn4life1972
I have the water pan finished and I'm doing some test cuts. Couple of issues I can't seem to get hammered out, and I'm sure they're somehow tied to each other.

Whenever I attempt to use Auto or Enabled THC, i get two errors within maybe 12 or so inches of cutting...valid arc lost, and float switch, which pauses and stops the cut. Also, holes aren't slowing down per the cut rules I've set in Sheetcam...presumably due to the same underlying cause. Whenever I disabled THC, it cuts fine but still does not slow for corners and holes...however with the THC disabled there is never any valid arc lost or float switch tripped errors either. Any insight is appreciated, as always.

I think I do have the cut settings dialed in pretty well. This is 1/4" thick HR steel with zero cleanup, front and back. Just the corners and holes aren't slowing speed.

Pat

Attachments:

More
15 May 2020 23:43 #167905 by phillc54
Can you post the g-code the is not slowing for holes.

Whenever I attempt to use Auto or Enabled THC, i get two errors within maybe 12 or so inches of cutting...valid arc lost, and float switch

Does the torch actually hit the matarial and cuase this?

More
15 May 2020 23:56 #167909 by dvn4life1972

Does the torch actually hit the matarial and cuase this?

Yes, It starts going - (down) very slowly and then valid arc is lost and it triggers the float switch. Attached the gcode file.

Pat
Attachments:

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.417 seconds