My Newb Plasma Table Attempted Build

More
28 Apr 2020 22:59 #166028 by phillc54
I use GT3 with a 16 tooth pulley on the motor and that is still a bit too coarse but it mostly works.

After looking a what Tom is doing a reduction is in order...

In hindsight I think GT2 would have been better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, dvn4life1972

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2020 23:35 #166034 by tommylight
16 tooth GT3 = 48mm per rev.
16 tooth GT2 = 32mm per rev.
I use the 16 tooth GT2 a lot on small engravers i build, directly driving the belt and microstepping set at 4, does the job perfectly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, dvn4life1972

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2020 23:42 #166037 by machinedude
the GT series of belts have the least amount of backlash from what i gathered. once you get into the pulley's that are small the walls get pretty thin and that part i was not real fond of. so if the belts can be bought with a 2 mm pitch that gives you a chance at a better pulley with some thickness to the bore walls.

if you do what Tom does you have all kinds of room to pick and choose a pulley that is more robust in size.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, tommylight, dvn4life1972

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2020 02:02 #166048 by dvn4life1972
I actually happen to have 3 GT2 30 tooth pulleys and GT2 timing belt (2mm pitch). I accidentally ordered it months ago while I was working on the road and reordered the GT3 stuff. I was so tired all the time I was a little cross-eyed when I ordered it lol.

It would be simple enough to get the correct pullet and swap the belt out.

@Tommy I saw that Mazak in the background. Once upon a time I was the welder in a machine shop, and learned manual machining on a 80-30 WWII era Yamazaki engine lathe. It would still return to within .001" after all those years. Deadly if you weren't paying attention (no foot brake or safety stops).

Pat
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2020 03:47 #166055 by machinedude
well at least your consistent 30 teeth with a 2 mm pitch is 60 mm of travel every rev of the motor :) same as what you have :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2020 10:23 #166072 by tommylight

dvn4life1972 wrote: @Tommy I saw that Mazak in the background. Once upon a time I was the welder in a machine shop, and learned manual machining on a 80-30 WWII era Yamazaki engine lathe. It would still return to within .001" after all those years. Deadly if you weren't paying attention (no foot brake or safety stops).

Yes, that is a MicroSlant 15, and is i still wonder how can something weighing in at 3.5 tons be named Micro, but hey, they are Japanese ! :)
Mine has two foot pedals but none of them are brakes, and an 11KW main servo motor, DC mind you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2020 10:52 #166081 by rodw
On the subject of reduction drives, Here is another one (3:1) on this thread.
forum.linuxcnc.org/30-cnc-machines/31509...pinion-drive?start=0

It was designed after I made a stuffup by building a direct drive Z axis so I had to replace a Nema 23 so I made it so it just bolted on in place of the stepper motor. Its peformed flawlesly. The great thing about mounting a motor on threaded posts like this is you can adjust alignment just by screwing the posts in and out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dvn4life1972

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2020 11:53 #166087 by dvn4life1972

machinedude wrote: well at least your consistent 30 teeth with a 2 mm pitch is 60 mm of travel every rev of the motor :) same as what you have :)


Accidentally consistent :whistle:

I did just find 16T 2mm pitch pulleys on Amazon for $8/ea. Gonna order them up. One thing I really like about the feel of the GT3 belt vs GT2 is there is a lot more meat on the GT3. I suppose it really doesn't matter when using it in the belt on belt-rack configuration.

Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2020 11:55 #166088 by dvn4life1972

rodw wrote: On the subject of reduction drives, Here is another one (3:1) on this thread.
forum.linuxcnc.org/30-cnc-machines/31509...pinion-drive?start=0

It was designed after I made a stuffup by building a direct drive Z axis so I had to replace a Nema 23 so I made it so it just bolted on in place of the stepper motor. Its peformed flawlesly. The great thing about mounting a motor on threaded posts like this is you can adjust alignment just by screwing the posts in and out.


That's a sexy looking beast you built there Rod. Especially that Z axis, although it's all very nice indeed!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2020 12:27 #166090 by tommylight

dvn4life1972 wrote:
I did just find 16T 2mm pitch pulleys on Amazon for $8/ea.

That is way to much for those, they should be from 1.2 to 1.7$/ea.
www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksi...+gt2+pulley&_sacat=0
or
www.amazon.com/WINSINN-Aluminum-Synchron...id=1588163183&sr=8-8
Just make sure the bore is what you need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dvn4life1972

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum