Downdraft design questions

More
07 Jan 2021 02:36 #194317 by thefabricator03
-not is used to invert a pin, say you had a limit switch you wanted to be normally open and its wired normally closed, you would put -not at the end of the text in the HAL for that switch to invert it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: txtrone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2021 02:43 #194318 by txtrone
Replied by txtrone on topic Downdraft design questions

-not is used to invert a pin, say you had a limit switch you wanted to be normally open and its wired normally closed, you would put -not at the end of the text in the HAL for that switch to invert it.

That's simple enough, thanks!

More
07 Jan 2021 03:02 #194319 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Downdraft design questions
Be sure to use Halshow a lot to see the signals and the pin names as you build this out.

More
07 Jan 2021 08:33 #194338 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Downdraft design questions

Can I use a sensor for an axis home AND positive limit? I did not have limits on my old table, only home switches... so I am not familiar with exactly how limits work.

Yes. linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/config/ini-homing.html

More
07 Jan 2021 22:48 #194427 by txtrone

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. We await the next one with smokey burning rags.... or even better a torch arc!

This video shows a 90 second duration, 600 CU FT, smoke emitter. I am unsure how well this simulates the actual smoke from cutting steel plate, but... I do know this... if you forget to connect the compressed air line to the solenoid manifold before this test, your shop will fill up with this smoke. :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
07 Jan 2021 23:51 #194438 by tommylight
Looks very good towards the beginning of the table, but a bit less towards the end.
Either way, it seems to have more than enough flow to suck the ..... smoke nicely ! :)

More
08 Jan 2021 00:04 #194440 by txtrone

Looks very good towards the beginning of the table, but a bit less towards the end.

I agree, it needs some tweaking. Though I was impressed with how well it did at the farthest end from the blower

When one gate closes and another opens, even though it's near instantaneous, the air flow is disrupted enough that I noticed smoke escaping. I need to see what happens with a delay on each gate closure, even if it's 2 seconds...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
08 Jan 2021 00:09 #194441 by tommylight

When one gate closes and another opens, even though it's near instantaneous, the air flow is disrupted enough that I noticed smoke escaping.

Yes, but it managed to get it back pretty much entirely as it was sucking some at over half a meter above table on some parts, so in total i would say over 90%.
Keep in mind that the smoke used for testing is light and moves up easily while the plasma smoke is much heavier and easier to capture it before it gets out of the draft zone.

More
08 Jan 2021 00:13 - 08 Jan 2021 00:26 #194442 by txtrone

Keep in mind that the smoke used for testing is light and moves up easily while the plasma smoke is much heavier and easier to capture it before it gets out of the draft zone.

Are you saying the kind of smoke I have is for draft dodgers?:laugh: Lame joke, sorry.
Last edit: 08 Jan 2021 00:26 by txtrone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
08 Jan 2021 00:36 #194444 by thefabricator03
Also you will most likely have a sheet of steel on the surface that will help keep the smoke down in the draft zone. Looking pretty good, cant wait to see the video of it cutting.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.369 seconds