RS485 For Hypertherms

More
10 Apr 2020 23:17 #163540 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic RS485 For Hypertherms
You had to pull me in on this, did you ?
It is astonishing how some people (not referring to any nation or sort of) are poised to protect their own miss..... whatever, not just the wrong system, but also driving on the left side while the rest of the world drives on the right, some nations and religions thinking they are goods gift to earth and that only they have the right to everything, etc etc.
There was a documentary on youtube about imperial system and the losses the US economy suffers from using it every year ( enter some random number here with lots of zeros ), but still refuse to switch to metric. It also had a nice showcase with 3 of the machinist that work for American Chopper, they spent 13 minutes trying to figure out how much should a pipe be cut based on the measurements of the space it has to fit and the length it actually is, they did not figure out, they gave up and just did it by eyeballing it.
And a gallon is not a gallon, an ounce is not an ounce, well there are several ounces.
Same goes for electricity, they still use 110V, requiring much thicker cables and transformers every 100 to 200 meters, not being able to use high power machines, not being able to quick charge the Tesla in their garage, etc etc, oh and lots and lots of fires due to the old way of installation, overloaded transformers, old types of equipment............. and the list goes on. I'll shut up before i delve into the way of building houses and materials used, and some other stuff.
I better go hide now. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2020 23:33 #163541 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

[
Seriously though, I think it is about frame of reference. I know how much a pound is, a inch, a foot, etc. Having to learn that all over again would suck.

It did but we managed. And the conversion rates are still embedded in my brain.

Its not actually simple measurements and weights that really matter, its the derived units like the kN of force to loose a rocket ship or pressure or acceleration that the SI units really come in to its own. Engineering maths is so much simpler.

But for the last 20 years, I banished Imperial units from my world and life has been good.

And selecting sa drill to tap a thread is so simple. No need fro charts. Say M10 x 1.5 pitch thread just needs a 10mm - 1.5mm = 8.5mm drill!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, thefabricator03

More
11 Apr 2020 00:08 - 11 Apr 2020 00:08 #163542 by thefabricator03

But for the last 20 years, I banished Imperial units from my world and life has been good.

I am trying to do what you have done and banish everything except metric units but other dont want to participate.

Example, we use a lot of Gal coated CHS pipe. The steel supliers call it by Nominal bore. But when we draw up the pipe in our 3D cad program we use mm, so 33.7x2.6 OD pipe becomes 25 Nominal bore in Light thickness. But the thickness designations with different size pipes do not line up. 48.3x2.9 OD pipe is called 40 Nominal bore in light.

It really does my head in.:blink:
Last edit: 11 Apr 2020 00:08 by thefabricator03.

More
11 Apr 2020 00:15 #163544 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic RS485 For Hypertherms
Buy some modern day pipe. :laugh:

More
11 Apr 2020 00:17 - 11 Apr 2020 00:19 #163545 by thefabricator03

Buy some modern day pipe. :laugh:

LOL, If I could I sure as hell would! RHS,SHS, Flat bar all conform to metric sizes. Pipe seems to do its own thing.
Last edit: 11 Apr 2020 00:19 by thefabricator03.

More
11 Apr 2020 00:24 - 11 Apr 2020 00:26 #163546 by thefabricator03

It also had a nice showcase with 3 of the machinist that work for American Chopper, they spent 13 minutes trying to figure out how much should a pipe be cut based on the measurements of the space it has to fit and the length it actually is, they did not figure out, they gave up and just did it by eyeballing it.

I watched that for the first time back in 2004,

Believe it or not but that show heavily influenced my decision to start a welding/fabrication apprenticeship back in 2006. I love making things. But only using metric units lol
Last edit: 11 Apr 2020 00:26 by thefabricator03.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
11 Apr 2020 00:49 #163550 by phillc54
@thefabricator03
I couldn't reply until I stopped lauging, not a good look for the dinosuar measurement system.

@snowgoer540
Hopefully this one will do it...
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
11 Apr 2020 01:30 #163554 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

It also had a nice showcase with 3 of the machinist that work for American Chopper, they spent 13 minutes trying to figure out how much should a pipe be cut based on the measurements of the space it has to fit and the length it actually is, they did not figure out, they gave up and just did it by eyeballing it.

I watched that for the first time back in 2004,

Believe it or not but that show heavily influenced my decision to start a welding/fabrication apprenticeship back in 2006. I love making things. But only using metric units lol

bahahahaha. I mean I watched OCC and Monster Garage etc as well... but I certainly wouldnt use them as the poster children for "how do I read a tape measure" much less the imperial system. Good for a laugh though... I kind of miss those two arguing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
11 Apr 2020 01:40 #163556 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

transformers every 100 to 200 meters

The conversion to imperial units is still roughly somewhere between an inch and the moon... which we landed on :P

In all seriousness, I agree with you all. It's just the way it is here, and there isn't much I can do but be assimilated... resistance is futile.

More
11 Apr 2020 01:46 #163557 by phillc54

The conversion to imperial units is still roughly somewhere between an inch and the moon... which we landed on :P

In all seriousness, I agree with you all. It's just the way it is here, and there isn't much I can do but be assimilated... resistance is futile.

It does beg the question though. Why?

I was brought up with imperial units and the changover when I was 20 was relatively painless and metric is really easy.

I think someone with a bit of power over there needs to grow a pair and just do it.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds