RS485 For Hypertherms

More
11 Apr 2020 08:04 - 11 Apr 2020 08:04 #163588 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic RS485 For Hypertherms
Hopefully I didn't break too much...

forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/37233-plasmac-updates#163587
Last edit: 11 Apr 2020 08:04 by phillc54.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2020 18:10 #163641 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

Hopefully I didn't break too much...

forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/37233-plasmac-updates#163587

So I thought I had my RIP stuff figured out... I still need help wrapping my head around what is going on here. I'll try to explain what I think is going on.

I updated per the directions in section 19. I can go to the -dev folder and see that the scripts were updated in configs/by_machine/plasmac, etc.

I have my launch command to launch out of the -dev folder, using my ini that I set up:
/home/plasma/linuxcnc-dev/scripts/linuxcnc '/home/plasma/linuxcnc/configs/plasma/plasma.ini'

Also I ran the RIP-Environment script again for good measure.

Here's what I dont understand... all of the links point back to the original linuxcnc installation. For example, the target location of plasmac_axis.py is /usr/share/doc/linuxcnc/examples/sample-configs when it should pull from linuxcnc-dev.

I think the answer is to somehow fix all of those links, but i have no idea how to do that easily. I really dont understand why no one else has this problem, or maybe they do and dont realize it. I can only tell it isnt right because I know what you updated, and the updates arent there.

At any rate, I know the easy answer is to go back to a different distro and 2.8, etc. But Mint works so well, I've not been kicked off the wifi once LOL, and it's so nice that it otherwise just works. I really want to learn what's going on and figure this out.

Thanks for the help.

More
11 Apr 2020 21:32 - 11 Apr 2020 21:32 #163662 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic RS485 For Hypertherms
the rip-environment should set the path variables to point to the run-inplace version. There is a period that is significant...
. ./linuxcnc-dev/scripts/rip-environment

My guess is you missed it.
Last edit: 11 Apr 2020 21:32 by rodw.

More
12 Apr 2020 00:04 #163678 by phillc54

I have my launch command to launch out of the -dev folder, using my ini that I set up:
/home/plasma/linuxcnc-dev/scripts/linuxcnc '/home/plasma/linuxcnc/configs/plasma/plasma.ini'

Using this method means you don't need to run rip-environment, the linuxcnc script you pointed to does that for you.

Here's what I dont understand... all of the links point back to the original linuxcnc installation. For example, the target location of plasmac_axis.py is /usr/share/doc/linuxcnc/examples/sample-configs when it should pull from linuxcnc-dev.

I think the answer is to somehow fix all of those links, but i have no idea how to do that easily. I really dont understand why no one else has this problem, or maybe they do and dont realize it. I can only tell it isnt right because I know what you updated, and the updates arent there.

Correct, they still point to your original installation. The way to fix it is to run configurator.py from ~/linuxcnc-dev/configs/by_machine/plasmac/configurator.py then do an upgrade. It won't upgrade if not needed but it should rebuild all the links.

At any rate, I know the easy answer is to go back to a different distro and 2.8, etc. But Mint works so well, I've not been kicked off the wifi once LOL, and it's so nice that it otherwise just works. I really want to learn what's going on and figure this out.

Won't the LinuxCNC packages from the buildbot run on Mint?

More
12 Apr 2020 00:55 #163686 by snowgoer540

the rip-environment should set the path variables to point to the run-inplace version. There is a period that is significant...
. ./linuxcnc-dev/scripts/rip-environment

My guess is you missed it.

$ . ~/linuxcnc-dev/scripts/rip-environment

That’s what I ran.. well not the dollar sign. Is that not right?

More
12 Apr 2020 00:58 #163687 by snowgoer540

I’m not sure, I think Rob said it wouldn’t. I’m willing to try (I don’t know the repercussions...).

I think I did run the configurator from the old directory so maybe that’s the problem. I’ll give it a go.

More
12 Apr 2020 00:58 #163688 by thefabricator03
Check check and check again your spelling. I have that issue from time to time and even when I look at it five times the sixth time I see my spelling mistake!

More
12 Apr 2020 00:59 #163689 by phillc54
To change the links you have to run it from the directory you want the links to point to.

More
12 Apr 2020 01:05 #163692 by phillc54

I’m not sure, I think Rob said it wouldn’t. I’m willing to try (I don’t know the repercussions...).

I think I did run the configurator from the old directory so maybe that’s the problem. I’ll give it a go.

One of the disadvantages of not using a "linuxcnc" distro.

For a user that just wants to run LinuxCNC I would recommend Stretch + 2.8 from the BuildBot at this moment in time.

You DON'T need to run rip-environment the way you are starting linuxcnc.

More
12 Apr 2020 01:37 - 12 Apr 2020 01:38 #163696 by snowgoer540

One of the disadvantages of not using a "linuxcnc" distro.

For a user that just wants to run LinuxCNC I would recommend Stretch + 2.8 from the BuildBot at this moment in time.

You DON'T need to run rip-environment the way you are starting linuxcnc.

Got her all fixed up. Who knew running configurator form the -dev folder was the simple answer?! Well, I guess you did... :laugh: I will jot this down in the long list of "dont forget this about linux/linuxcnc" LOL.

One more question with regard to updating. Is there a place that shows what version I am on? I had previously remembered a build in the window header, but mine just says "AXIS 2.9.0~pre0 on Plasma". Was thinking it would be nice if there was a definitive way to tell I'm running the latest. Maybe in the help about, or in the Config tab?

Ok, back to testing:

1. The very first time I enabled comms after updating, I couldn't change the gas pressure to anything but 0. Changing modes seems to have fixed it, but it seems like there might be a bug there that needs to be squished.
2. The tooltip for hovering over amps remained the same whether or not comms was enabled. This went away like the issue above when I changed modes, and restarted Plasmac. All the other new tool tips just worked the first time though, so not sure what was up there.

Thanks again for the help. I really am trying to absorb as much of this as I can, if for no other reason than in the hopes that my ability to contribute meaningfully goes up, and I can pay it forward for someone else here.

-Greg
Last edit: 12 Apr 2020 01:38 by snowgoer540.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.361 seconds