RS485 For Hypertherms

More
31 Mar 2020 21:05 #162297 by thefabricator03

I made the comunication with an usb to rs485 from Icp-con 7561. It is working but i want to verify something. In material table i define a material with 45a and 128v. I start the process , everything if fine but in the voltage field in Plasmac i see only 60v. How can i verify where is the problem? I let the voltage divider on Powermax at 1:20, i made some test with a adjustable power source on the thc and seems to be fine...in this case if the voltage is not real in Plasmac, the thc is not working in real condition i think.

RS485 does not control voltage, only amperage, air pressure and error code display.

Have you got voltage sampling turned on? If so the displayed voltage is irrelevent as the voltage at the start of the cut will determine the voltage for the cut path.

Check out the Plasma Primer for more info on voltage sampling, linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plas...rch_voltage_sampling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2020 21:13 #162299 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic RS485 For Hypertherms
It can be your scaling resistor or your config settings.

Can you advise your THCAD Model (-5, -10, -300)
The calibration data on the sticker on your THCAD
The value of any scaling resistor you have added
\provide a screen dump of your cut settngs that show the scaling data you have used in Plasmac

If your plasma supports it, I wold recommend a 30:1 divider setting, no scaling resistor and a THCAD-10. This will give a 300 volt full scale.

More
31 Mar 2020 21:27 #162302 by alexandrub
Replied by alexandrub on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

RS485 does not control voltage, only amperage, air pressure and error code display.

Have you got voltage sampling turned on? If so the displayed voltage is irrelevent as the voltage at the start of the cut will determine the voltage for the cut path.

Ok. And how can i adjust the voltage
I see in the cutting chart that the voltage need to be adjusted. As an example at 45A and 128v at 5560 i will cut 2mm thicknes steel and at 45A but 136V at 780mm/min i will cut 10mm thicknes steel.

About voltage sampling i need to see tommorow in the shop.

Thank you for answer.

More
01 Apr 2020 07:39 - 01 Apr 2020 07:49 #162333 by alexandrub

It can be your scaling resistor or your config settings.

Can you advise your THCAD Model (-5, -10, -300)
The calibration data on the sticker on your THCAD
The value of any scaling resistor you have added
\provide a screen dump of your cut settngs that show the scaling data you have used in Plasmac

If your plasma supports it, I wold recommend a 30:1 divider setting, no scaling resistor and a THCAD-10. This will give a 300 volt full scale.

Thcad is -10

sticker attach picture

I dont have any resistor attached

I attach a picture with scaling data

If I need I will change the Powermax divider to 1:30

Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Apr 2020 07:49 by alexandrub.

More
01 Apr 2020 07:46 #162334 by alexandrub

Check out the Plasma Primer for more info on voltage sampling, linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plas...rch_voltage_sampling

where I find if i have voltage sampling on?

More
More
05 Apr 2020 21:31 #162799 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic RS485 For Hypertherms
So, I am having some trouble with the wiring. I got a pcie serial card, it shows up in Mint, etc. The problem seems to be the wiring. I am using Phill's pmx_test.py, and I float between either having a wiring combination that just freezes the script when I click RS485, and getting a "bad packet while writing to plasma cutter" error.

It may be helpful to know how the USB to RS485 connector mentioned in the user guide corresponds to the DB9 serial connector. The link that shows the pinout earlier in this thread hasnt helped me.. I get confused because there is RS 232, 422, 485, etc. I think I've tried 232 (from the powermax supplement pdf), 485, and what I think is the way the user guide says... it even required tearing the connector/cord apart because it had two wires that werent hooked up (pin 1 and pin 9 on the db9).

More
05 Apr 2020 21:59 #162803 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic RS485 For Hypertherms
Just becasue the pinouts may be the same does not mean you can connect directly to the PC's RS232 serial port without a RS485 converter. The hypertherm only uses RS485 so that is what you must use. Hypertherm have soem documentation on the connection requirements.

Sorry if you are using a converter Its not clear from what you have written.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
05 Apr 2020 22:12 - 05 Apr 2020 23:22 #162805 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

Just becasue the pinouts may be the same does not mean you can connect directly to the PC's RS232 serial port without a RS485 converter. The hypertherm only uses RS485 so that is what you must use. Hypertherm have soem documentation on the connection requirements.

Sorry if you are using a converter Its not clear from what you have written.

I think this card is supposed to be able to do 232 or 485.. Which to your point begs the question, who do I make it do 485 if it is on 232..

EDIT: After consulting the amazon reviews on this card (I didnt buy it there), it seems the cake was a lie, and it ONLY does RS-232. Converter ordered. Thanks Rod!
Last edit: 05 Apr 2020 23:22 by snowgoer540.

More
05 Apr 2020 23:44 #162825 by thefabricator03
Rod,

What do you mean by a converter?

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds