Error Recovery

More
23 Jun 2020 11:43 #172465 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Error Recovery

I thought I would do something different for a change and give this one a test myself. :ohmy:

Well... where's the fun in that?! :laugh:

Hmm, I hadn't thought of it like that. :evil:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2020 00:50 #172522 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Error Recovery
If you are interested in trying it I have pushed a couple branches to Git, one based on 2.8 and one based on master. It is accessable from the Extras panel and only enabled when paused. If you use Axis then when it loads the dialog it will switch back to the preview screen, if you use Gmoccapy then you will need to do that manually.
cd linuxcnc-dev/src
git pull
git checkout phillc54/cut-recovery-28 (or phillc54/cut-recovery-master)
make clean
make

You will need to edit your ini file for one of the buttons on the Extras panel. Pick an unused button from 10~19, the name can be anything but the code needs to be as below
BUTTON_1n_NAME = Cut\Recovery
BUTTON_1n_CODE = cut-recovery

To switch back to your original branch:
cd linuxcnc-dev/src
git pull
git checkout <branch_name> (2.8 or master)
make clean
make
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
24 Jun 2020 01:19 - 24 Jun 2020 01:19 #172524 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Error Recovery

If you are interested in trying it I have pushed a couple branches to Git, one based on 2.8 and one based on master. It is accessable from the Extras panel and only enabled when paused. If you use Axis then when it loads the dialog it will switch back to the preview screen, if you use Gmoccapy then you will need to do that manually.
cd linuxcnc-dev/src
git pull
git checkout phillc54/cut-recovery-28 (or phillc54/cut-recovery-master)
make clean
make

You will need to edit your ini file for one of the buttons on the Extras panel. Pick an unused button from 10~19, the name can be anything but the code needs to be as below
BUTTON_1n_NAME = Cut\Recovery
BUTTON_1n_CODE = cut-recovery

To switch back to your original branch:
cd linuxcnc-dev/src
git pull
git checkout <branch_name> (2.8 or master)
make clean
make

I’ll definitely give it a go when I am back up and running! I’ll be looking forward to errors while cutting :laugh:

I have to mill and pin my rack and pinion tensioning solution... I think it sees more force than I anticipated, or hydrogen embrittlement got the best of my bolt. Either way I welded out the M4 broken off portion (attached if anyone’s curious (I impressed myself on this one)) so at least I don’t have to remake it.

Also, might be another reason to go to 2.8. I should probably do that soon anyhow...

Thanks for making a branch to try out, I like testing things.
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Jun 2020 01:19 by snowgoer540.

More
24 Jun 2020 09:14 #172552 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Error Recovery
Yup, that is impressive.
But an M4 bolt is to small for anything on a rack and pinion system, except the motor mount.

More
24 Jun 2020 10:23 - 24 Jun 2020 10:26 #172565 by snowgoer540

Yup, that is impressive.But an M4 bolt is to small for anything on a rack and pinion system, except the motor mount.

True, but it's the size the linear rail comes pre-drilled to. Also the pocket for the rail is milled so that the rail is tight left to right and to the top of the pocket. I guess that's what leads me to believe I either over torqued it or had a bad bolt. The other 5 are fine... But they're all getting pinned anyhow.

Attached is a pic of the tensioning system I came up with which until the bolt incident, was working awesome.
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Jun 2020 10:26 by snowgoer540.

More
24 Jun 2020 11:14 #172566 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Error Recovery

Attached is a pic of the tensioning system I came up with which until the bolt incident, was working awesome.

Nice, that is the best way of tensioning a rack and pinion system, the side spring ones cause wear on one side more than on the other and they tend to slip on one direction consistently. This way none of those issues exist.

More
24 Jun 2020 11:19 - 24 Jun 2020 11:19 #172567 by snowgoer540

Nice, that is the best way of tensioning a rack and pinion system, the side spring ones cause wear on one side more than on the other and they tend to slip on one direction consistently. This way none of those issues exist.

Yea, I wasn't sold on the standard 3:1 reduction system other people sell, and it seemed like they take a ton of tension to "stick". I dont have a heck of a lot of tension on this and it's never slipped once, and I drive the thing at 1200in/min in Y and 1500in/min in X... So, I'll pin the guides to make sure I dont have issue again, and send it. I could also mill down the stock a bit so that the rail is slightly protruding to give a little bit of clamp force so it's not relying on that one tiny M4 bolt. Now that I type that, I think I am going to do that. Honestly that would probably even negate the need to pin them. I'm a bit nervous to mill the hardened rails.
Last edit: 24 Jun 2020 11:19 by snowgoer540.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
30 Jun 2020 22:02 #173218 by snowgoer540
So I finally got time to check this out, and mess around with it. For some reason reverse motion does not work for me. I can go foward, but not backward. I'm on master, so I am not sure if it's somehow broken or I'm not doing it correct? Either way, thats the first thing I see.

More
30 Jun 2020 22:06 #173219 by snowgoer540
Actually, I take that back, it does work, but only between M3 commands. Where I can go forward indefinitely as long as I hold down on forward, Reverse does not work the same way. It will only reverse me to the beginning of the G1 or G0 command. If It gets to the next line, it wont go back further. Is that how it's supposed to work?

More
30 Jun 2020 22:49 #173229 by snowgoer540
Sorry to rapid-fire posts. I went to 2.8 so that we can be testing the same version. I wasnt thinking and did the build-bot installation. That was a mistake wasnt it... I need to do the RIP installation to check this back out and keep testing, correct?

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds