Error Recovery

More
30 Jun 2020 23:51 #173250 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Error Recovery

I probably shouldn't have put that in, you only need to do that if you have switched branches etc, not on the first build

EDIT: I should have added "sudo make setuid" at the end...

Easy enough to fix. So I have it all loaded up, running. But the Cut Recovery button stays greyed out now...any ideas why?

Do I need to run the configurator from the new linuxcnc-dev folder to change my links?

nevermind, needed to run configurator from the -dev folder. All better!

Back to testing... finally on 2.8. I'm not sure I see a reason to keep the buildbot version?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2020 23:56 #173251 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Error Recovery

I probably shouldn't have put that in, you only need to do that if you have switched branches etc, not on the first build

EDIT: I should have added "sudo make setuid" at the end...

Easy enough to fix. So I have it all loaded up, running. But the Cut Recovery button stays greyed out now...any ideas why?

Do I need to run the configurator from the new linuxcnc-dev folder to change my links?

nevermind, needed to run configurator from the -dev folder. All better!

Cool, I was just about to hit Submit...

Back to testing... finally on 2.8. I'm not sure I see a reason to keep the buildbot version?

Its a personal choice I guess. It really depends on how often you update you Linux system. I do it once a week so I choose to use Buildbot for LinuxCNC then everything updates at the same time. If you don't want to update Linux often then use RIP for LinuxCNC and just update that.

More
30 Jun 2020 23:56 #173252 by snowgoer540
On to testing...

Linuxcnc freaks out if you click the X on the window rather than click cancel (is there a window option that doesnt allow closing it>)

The bumps X- and X+ etc, are they happening at max velocity? Those tiny .070" movements seem like they're going to beat my table apart. Turning down all the regular sliders had no effect (though I'm sure you knew that), and the movement speed slider for the FWD and REV is greyed out after you hit your first X+ movement, so I couldnt tell if that slider had any effect on the speed.

More
30 Jun 2020 23:58 #173255 by snowgoer540

Its a personal choice I guess. It really depends on how often you update you Linux system. I do it once a week so I choose to use Buildbot for LinuxCNC then everything updates at the same time. If you don't want to update Linux often then use RIP for LinuxCNC and just update that.

RIP updates come faster than the buildbot ones, right? So if I had an issue and you quickly pushed a fix (because you're usually on it :) ), I may have to wait a day or two for the build bot to decide to get to work... where as the RIP would update pretty instantly, correct?

I dont really update linux ever, though maybe I should...

More
30 Jun 2020 23:59 #173256 by phillc54

On to testing...

Linuxcnc freaks out if you click the X on the window rather than click cancel (is there a window option that doesnt allow closing it>)

That is how I always close down, never noticed an issue. What exaclty happens.

The bumps X- and X+ etc, are they happening at max velocity? Those tiny .070" movements seem like they're going to beat my table apart. Turning down all the regular sliders had no effect (though I'm sure you knew that), and the movement speed slider for the FWD and REV is greyed out after you hit your first X+ movement, so I couldnt tell if that slider had any effect on the speed.

It should be at the current Cut Speed shown in the Run Panel. Maybe I cocked up the metric/dinosaur thingy...

More
01 Jul 2020 00:04 #173258 by phillc54

RIP updates come faster than the buildbot ones, right? So if I had an issue and you quickly pushed a fix (because you're usually on it :) ), I may have to wait a day or two for the build bot to decide to get to work... where as the RIP would update pretty instantly, correct?

Yes, but you do need to do it manually. Having said that, when Buildbot is working correctly it is normally only a couple of hours but unfortunatley it does seem to have the occasional sleep.

I dont really update linux ever, though maybe I should...

Again it is a personal choice, I do it because I feel I need to have the latest version so it is the same as someone who is just begining as they will have installed the latest version(usually)
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
01 Jul 2020 00:05 #173259 by snowgoer540

On to testing...

That is how I always close down, never noticed an issue. What exaclty happens.

It should be at the current Cut Speed shown in the Run Panel. Maybe I cocked up the metric/dinosaur thingy...

That's weird, I cant get it to do it anymore. It was something about you cant do that while something is in paused traj or something...

Actually it was me who messed it up, I still had your test file with cut speeds of 999, so that explains it. I turned it down and it sounds better.

Last question, are you pushing your updates to your cut-recovery branch? It says V.138, and before I switched to your branch it said V.139?

More
01 Jul 2020 00:09 #173262 by phillc54

Last question, are you pushing your updates to your cut-recovery branch? It says V.138, and before I switched to your branch it said V.139?

No I haven't and there is nothing in the latest fix that will affect you, it is only for new installations.

More
01 Jul 2020 00:11 #173263 by snowgoer540

No I haven't and there is nothing in the latest fix that will affect you, it is only for new installations.

Sounds good, just don't forget me out here on this new island :laugh: :woohoo:

I've run out of time for the evening, time to shower and hit the hay.

Thanks for the help.

More
01 Jul 2020 00:14 #173264 by phillc54
You are welcome, thanks for trying the error recovery. It'll be interesting to see what you think...

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.451 seconds