[SOLVED] Qtpyvcp - error on startup

More
02 Jan 2023 04:56 #260751 by spumco
I've got Mx21, lcnc 2.10, qtpyvcp & probe basic installed.  All pulled today using the guide in this thread.  Axis & PB sims work fine.

I loaded my previous (working) config and now I can't come out of estop.  Trying to hunt down the bug and I can't find anything in HAL that would interfere.

iocontrol.0.emc-enable-in goes high when my estop relay energizes, but iocontrol.0.user-enable-out stays low.

Symptoms:
LCNC/PB takes forever to load
PB screen controls are slow to respond & update (file menu, GUI estop button)
Can toggle the GUI estop button, but can't select GUI power button.

Ran lcnc from terminal to see if I could spot something fishy and caught this:
[qtpyvcp.widgets.base_widgets.base_widget][ERROR]  Error evaluating rule: status:axes (base_widget.py:179)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/mill/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/qtpyvcp/widgets/base_widgets/base_widget.py", line 176, in registerRules
    triggers.append(chan_obj.notify)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'notify'
halui: emcCommandSend: no echo from Task after 10.000 seconds
[qtpyvcp.plugins][DEBUG]  Post GUI Initializing 'status' plugin (__init__.py:128)

Anyone have a clue what this error means, and what to do about it? And if it might have something to do with my estop angst?

Thx,
R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2023 04:57 #260823 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic Qtpyvcp - error on startup
(bump)

Still could use some help with this. 

I've spent a couple days trying out other distros (Mint, Debian 10/11/12) and I've yet to find a combination that works on my hardware.  MX21 seems the most stable as I can get my realtek NIC driver loaded, wifi dongle working, and decent latency on LCNC sims.  All other combinations of distros & kernels seem to fail at some point before I can even try my machine config.

More
07 Jan 2023 20:25 #261193 by Lcvette
Replied by Lcvette on topic Qtpyvcp - error on startup
Did you figure this out?  I am not on those branches yet, I am remaining on the script installer until the main release is available, but everything works fine when i use the script installation method on debian bullseye.  i do remember having a similar issue once a while back but i cannot remember what the solution was.  have you tried running the script installer?

More
08 Jan 2023 16:35 - 08 Jan 2023 16:39 #261276 by spumco
Unfortunately, I was unable to resolve this problem.  I've wasted so much time trying to get some combination of linux/lcnc/qtpyvcp/pb working that I simply bought another PC to try out.

My hope is that something a bit older and with an Intel NIC will allow me to install a very vanilla combination that's been proven to work for other people.  Once the PC shows up I'll try loading everything and see if the error returns.

-R

EDIT - yes, I used the script installer with Mint, Debian 10/11/12, and MX21, with kernels from 5.10 up to 6.something.  Also tried the manual install instructions from the qtpyvcp/PB sites, as well as instructions from the couple of forum posts in this (qtpyvcp) sub-forum.  I've probably done about 20-30 attempts - on two computers - in the past month or so.
Last edit: 08 Jan 2023 16:39 by spumco.

More
13 Jan 2023 05:53 #261774 by spumco
Same issue still present.

New PC with Intel NIC arrived.  I'm now on a fresh bullseye install, with the qtpyvcp/probe basic installed via the gihub script.

First error - the script appears to be missing python3-distro from the dependencies.  It's on the qtpyvcp python3 prerequisites page, but not in the script.

Once that was installed I ran the sim and noticed an error in the terminal.  Scrolled up and discovered it's the same error as in my first post.
[qtpyvcp.widgets.base_widgets.base_widget][ERROR]  Error evaluating rule: status:axes (base_widget.py:179)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/mill/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/qtpyvcp/widgets/base_widgets/base_widget.py", line 176, in registerRules
    triggers.append(chan_obj.notify)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'notify'

So this isn't just happening when I try to run my config, although that causes the 40 second delay I posted earlier.

Doesn't happen when starting the other qtpyvcp sims - just PB

More
13 Jan 2023 17:01 #261805 by Lcvette
are you switching from the old PB version to the py3 version? or was your working config already a py3 version variant?

More
13 Jan 2023 18:42 #261817 by spumco
Working config was MX21 & PB-python3.  Both were installed early last summer.

I believe the last edits in my old hal file were from late July 2022, and I found the ATC macro edits were late August.

I got pulled away from the project for a bit, then resumed work and built a new operator station with a horizontal monitor.  There was a lot of development garbage on the PC so I decided to do a fresh install and that's when the fun started.

More
13 Jan 2023 21:39 #261832 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Qtpyvcp - error on startup
If you are getting these startup errors, Could you try typing
export PYOPENGL_PLATFORM=x11
before running linuxcnc?
This issue in github refers
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues/2264
At least the developers are looking at this now

More
13 Jan 2023 23:56 - 14 Jan 2023 00:20 #261839 by spumco
Thanks Rod.

I'm doing a fresh reinstall now in case I missed anything the first time.  I'll the 'export' paste once everythings loaded again.

EDIT - no change in behavior after
export PYOPENGL_PLATFORM=x11

Was posted in terminal before running LCNC.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2023 00:20 by spumco.

More
14 Jan 2023 00:47 #261842 by Lcvette
there have been soem changes that require some edits in the config file for probe basic, they may have come after your config was made. it has to do with the post_gui.hal no containing the old time.hal file for the timer and i want to say this created that same issue you were refering to with the slow to respond behavior. check the latest sim and adjust your config to accomodate those changes and that at least should go away. as for the missing dependencies, i haven't install from the script in a few weeks so if it is something new missing or borken from a version change maybe i don't have an answer for that at the moment and likely won't have some new ssd's for a few days to test on. My hope was to move the big machine over to 2.9 in the next week or two to do some testing, but i went down a rabbit hole of my own on the trajectory issues im dealing with. /o\

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds