Py3 - Probe Basic Config Conversion Doc Lcnc 2.9+

More
07 Jan 2024 17:23 #290118 by Lcvette

Hi Chris,

I heard there's been a lot of development on Probe_Basic recently and some new contributors.

Thanks for the fantastic work everyone !!!

Question; We currently have two CNC routers running Probe_Basic on Debian 10 and Mesa cards. We're trying to build a new Probe_Basic controller using a Raspberry Pi 4 and the BTT SKR v1.4 Turbo board. Do you know if the instructions above will work for that situation ?

rpi does not support the vtk used with qtpyvcp and is not supported. some have tried but i have not seen a successful implementation to date that i am aware of, if someone has done it maybe they can chime in?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2024 17:29 #290119 by Lcvette

Hi,
thanks to your instructions i got Probe Basic set up.

But i have a weird problem which i don´t understand. I have a working Machine with Axis Screen and Ethercat Hardware (motion & io).
If i start this Machine i am able to jog around and the jogged distances & speeds match the movement on the machine.

In Probe basic somehow the Axis are moving far to slow also the distances are off. Seems that there is some scaling done in background?

I don´t know where i can also look.

My Axis - INI / hal

File Attachment:

File Name: EtherCAT_S...1-06.ini
File Size:2 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: ethercat-c...1-06.xml
File Size:8 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: probe-ec.hal
File Size:5 KB

My Probe Basic - INI / hal

File Attachment:

File Name: probe_ec.ini

File Attachment:

File Name: ethercat_s...1-06.xml

File Attachment:

File Name: EtherCAT_S...1-06.hal
File Size:4 KB

use the config conversion document in post 1, your increments setting is wrong way to many to fit probe basic and missing the "JOG" label for continuous jogging mode.

PB does not scale anything beyond the on screen sliders and these are scaling via percentage against the ini configuration, if they are too slow make sure they are set to 100% on screen for both the velocity slider and jog slider.  this will set both to maximum, if thise does not resolve the issue i am unsure what else it could be, perhaps a setting in the ethercat configs?  but i am not current on ethercat setup, perhaps @rodw can chime in if the first fix does not resolve the issue.

as for scaling and moves not matching this is 100% in the ini setup and or hal. so you would need to ensure those settings are correct.

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: jc2ktr

More
07 Jan 2024 18:31 #290128 by jc2ktr

Hi,
thanks to your instructions i got Probe Basic set up.

But i have a weird problem which i don´t understand. I have a working Machine with Axis Screen and Ethercat Hardware (motion & io).
If i start this Machine i am able to jog around and the jogged distances & speeds match the movement on the machine.

In Probe basic somehow the Axis are moving far to slow also the distances are off. Seems that there is some scaling done in background?

I don´t know where i can also look.

My Axis - INI / hal

File Attachment:

File Name: EtherCAT_S...1-06.ini
File Size:2 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: ethercat-c...1-06.xml

File Attachment:

File Name: probe-ec.hal

My Probe Basic - INI / hal

File Attachment:

File Name: probe_ec.ini

File Attachment:

File Name: ethercat_s...1-06.xml

File Attachment:

File Name: EtherCAT_S...1-06.hal
File Size:4 KB

use the config conversion document in post 1, your increments setting is wrong way to many to fit probe basic and missing the "JOG" label for continuous jogging mode.

Okay i will undo my changes in this section to your defaults :)

PB does not scale anything beyond the on screen sliders and these are scaling via percentage against the ini configuration, if they are too slow make sure they are set to 100% on screen for both the velocity slider and jog slider.  this will set both to maximum, if thise does not resolve the issue i am unsure what else it could be, perhaps a setting in the ethercat configs?  but i am not current on ethercat setup, perhaps @rodw can chime in if the first fix does not resolve the issue.

Alright then i will test this next time i am on the machine

What i have already tested is the joint.0.vel-cmd output in both Machine sets

in AXIS Screen the output value at jogging the X-Axis was around
in Probe Basic the output value at jogging the same Axis was near 20

in Axis Screen the movement speed of the Machine was normal but in Probe Basic it was very slow
as for scaling and moves not matching this is 100% in the ini setup and or hal. so you would need to ensure those settings are correct.
i will look at my configs again and compare my 2 hal and ini files in vs code maybe i find something

Thank you 

Sven

Chris

More
07 Jan 2024 20:37 - 07 Jan 2024 20:38 #290140 by rodw
I have built vtk from source on a Pi a long time ago (5 hour build) and it worked with PB
But there is no need to do that as vtk is now supported for ARM64 (raspberry pi 4/5) in the Debian  repositories
try; sudo apt install vtk9
you may also need python3-vtk9

There should be no reason why the qtpyvcp team can't build a pi compatible deb and host it on their repository.

EDIT: if you do that, pleas elet me know and I will include the qtpyvcp repo in the 2.9.2 installers
Last edit: 07 Jan 2024 20:38 by rodw.

More
08 Jan 2024 03:22 #290175 by Joco
It’s been looked into, but like anything, its a case of competing priorities.

More
10 Jan 2024 16:43 #290382 by warwickben
i dont know if i missed this or not, or its just a issue with how i installed probe basic.

i started with a clean install of 2.9.2  and setup a axis config using a saved pncconf. 
tested the axis config and machine worked like it should.
then i followed the guide to setup probe basic.
when i tried to first start it i had a conflict.   axis vs probe basic manual tool change.  just had to go and hand remove all the axis call outs( dont know how to refer to it ? axis code for tool changes) .

More
02 Feb 2024 17:57 #292233 by Golab
Hello.
I'm an absolute novice on the subject and I need help.
I installed Debian 12 from the website  kcjengr.github.io/probe_basic/quick_start.html
I followed all the instructions.
The installation was successful, and the Probe Basic simulation starts up.
I configured the machine in Pncconf in Axis version, and everything seems to be okay.
Then, step by step, I followed the conversion instructions mentioned above. It seems to me that I did it correctly, only changing in the ini file in the "TRAJ" section from 5 axes to 3 axes and from XYZAB to XYZ. Previously, I changed G20 to G21.
Unfortunately, the program does not start, and an error pops up.
I'll add that the card I'm using is the Mesa 7i76e.
I attach the report generated by Linuxcnc to the post.Perhaps someone will notice something?
Attachments:

More
02 Feb 2024 18:43 #292238 by tommylight
The file
moya_maszina.hal
is missing some stuff, like for example :
loadrt [EMCMOT]EMCMOT   servo_period_nsec=[EMCMOT]SERVO_PERIOD num_joints=[KINS]JOINTS

More
02 Feb 2024 19:09 #292240 by Golab
I think this entry is located in the file Moja_Maszyna.hal.
Attachments:

More
02 Feb 2024 19:28 - 02 Feb 2024 19:34 #292241 by Aciera
But the [EMCMOT] section in your ini file is empty.

[edit]
for your setup I would have expected something like this:

[EMCMOT]
EMCMOT = motmod
COMM_TIMEOUT = 1.0
SERVO_PERIOD = 1500000
Last edit: 02 Feb 2024 19:34 by Aciera.

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.299 seconds