qt_dragon_hd - manual tool change and remap

More
20 May 2023 14:20 #271746 by suspension
I am trying to test manual tool change and subsequent auto tool measurement in qtdragon_hd. I use versa probe.
I have followed instructions on the qtdragon documentation carefully, so the loading of hal_manualtoolchange is disabled, paths are set, python and ngc files are copied, some settings required are set in the ini file. Remapping is also done.

Here is what I do:
1. Start linuxcnc
2. switch on the machine and home all
3. Type the mdi command T3 M6

I expect the machine to move to tool change psition and show me a message asking to load the tool and then click resume. Then I expect it to move to the tool setter position and measure the length.

However none of this happens. The 'Cycle Start' becomes active and pause and stop buttons are enabled however. But nothing else happens.

I put some print statements in prolog and epilog and can see that it ultimately calls the ngc file but that never returns (because my print statement at the start of epilog is not printed). Since this suggests that the execution is stuck inside the ngc file (qt_auto_probe_tool.ngc), I added some return statement at various places in the ngc file to understand where it get stuck. Looks like the execution flows until the command 'M6' (line 42 in this file). I commented that line (M6 command) and then it stops after G38.2 Z #<_ini[VERSA_TOOLSETTER]MAXPROBE> (line 64).

I am a total novice to ngc files, so what I have done above may not make sense. Just added that to give some more information about my problem.

Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Thanks
Sus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2023 14:39 #271747 by cmorley
Do you still have lines like this called in your post_gui HAL file?
net tool-change      hal_manualtoolchange.change   <=  iocontrol.0.tool-change
net tool-changed     hal_manualtoolchange.changed  <=  iocontrol.0.tool-changed
net tool-prep-number hal_manualtoolchange.number   <=  iocontrol.0.tool-prep-number
This would probably be why you don't get a prompt.

Did you check the 'tool measure' button on the versa probe tab?
If you don't do this it just won't measure.

Otherwise please post your config files and mention which version of linuxcnc you are using.

Chris

More
20 May 2023 15:43 - 20 May 2023 15:43 #271752 by suspension
yes I have those three lines. I thought these are needed. Anyway I also commented them and checked and results are same.
Yes the 'tool measure' check button is checked.

I have attached my configs files.

Thanks
Sus
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 May 2023 15:43 by suspension.

More
20 May 2023 16:04 #271755 by cmorley
Sorry I don't think I was clear. You _need_ these lines in the postgui file:
net tool-change      hal_manualtoolchange.change   <=  iocontrol.0.tool-change
net tool-changed     hal_manualtoolchange.changed  <=  iocontrol.0.tool-changed
net tool-prep-number hal_manualtoolchange.number   <=  iocontrol.0.tool-prep-number
This line also needs to be un-commented in damnu-cnc.hal:
net tool-prepare-loopback iocontrol.0.tool-prepare => iocontrol.0.tool-prepared

Try that and see if things work.

Chris

More
20 May 2023 16:12 #271756 by suspension
Uncommenting

net tool-prepare-loopback iocontrol.0.tool-prepare => iocontrol.0.tool-prepared

did the trick. Although I haven't tested it fully, now it pops up a dialog asking me to load the tool. Thank you very much for the help.

It would be great if this can be put in the documentation.

Thanks
Sus
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 May 2023 18:19 #271768 by cmorley
Glad you got it.
Thanks for the detailed information - really helps.
I will add that to the docs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
23 May 2023 00:09 - 23 May 2023 00:14 #271984 by grey_goat
How does one disable hal_manualtoolchange and where would I find damnu-cnc.hal?  I'm trying to work my way through a similar issue, but I'm very new to this.  I can get myself to where the t1m6 command moves to my change position spot and triggers a, "tool changed?" pop up.  Next it goes to where my tool setter position is and starts moving the spindle towards it.

From there though I can't trigger the tool setter.
Last edit: 23 May 2023 00:14 by grey_goat.

More
23 May 2023 02:31 #271989 by cmorley
Do you have an automatic tool changer? Other wise you need the pop up dialog so you can change tools.
Or are you talking about disabling AXIS's manual tool change program so you can connect to QtDragons pop up?

Sounds like the toolsetter electrical signal is not being detected by linuxcnc.
You should be able to use halmeter or something like it to confirm that pressing the toolsetter changes the motion.probe-input pin.

damnu-cnc.hal is a file particular to Suspension's configuration - yours will be called something else.

More
24 May 2023 01:22 #272065 by grey_goat
I don't have an automatic tool changer. I don't know if I'm trying to disable AXIS's manual tool change program, but I've just read that I need to disable hal_manualtoolchange.

If I enter t1m6 get the spindle to go where I want to change the tool and then make the change. I get a pop up that asks me to make the change. I select ok, and then the spindle heads to where my toolsetter should sit and starts traveling in the -z to make contact.

I'm currently doing this without any actual tooling in place and am just triggering the toolsetter to get some kind of response. That's not happening.

I too think the tool setter's signal isn't reaching linuxcnc but I'm not sure how to use halmeter to confirm it. If I select motion.probe-input pin (which says 'false') should depressing the button move change that to true? Currently it does nothing. Should it be defaulting to true and the pressing returns a false? I've used a voltmeter to check that the normally closed toolsetter does in fact open when its pressed.

I've included the following in my HAL file:

net probe-in => motion.probe-input
net probe-in <= hm2_7i96s.0.inm.00.input-09

And I've triple checked that my signal line is going to that input.

Thank you for any input

More
24 May 2023 01:39 #272066 by cmorley
use halmeter to watch the motion/probe-input
Should normally be false.
Press your tool setter with your finger - halmeter should now say true

I'm assuming you are using a switched type tool setter not a electrical contact one ('touch plate').

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds