Motoman K6SB Retrofit

More
04 Jul 2021 06:13 #213645 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Motoman K6SB Retrofit
Have you seen this tutorial:

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/motion/dh-parameters.html

You might only have to replace the lengths with those of your robot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phasefreq

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2021 00:50 #214004 by phasefreq
Replied by phasefreq on topic Motoman K6SB Retrofit
Huh I actually had not seen that one! Several years ago I tried to figured out the genserkins config for my puma arm before giving up and eventually finding an out of the box puma config that worked; with this page though I actually have a hope of doing it from scratch, or like you said, just replacing the link lengths.

Thanks a ton!

Anybody by chance know the harmonic drive ratios on these arms? Or know which document would contain them? I’m told they are params in the ERC controller, but since I lack said controller that doesn’t help me much :-/

More
09 Jul 2021 11:43 #214079 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Motoman K6SB Retrofit
If I had to find the drive ratios, I think that I would use a spirit level on each joint to find the encoder counts for 90 degrees. That's all you need to know, really. And it will be some fairly-round number.

More
11 Jul 2021 01:24 #214225 by phasefreq
That’s a good idea, thank you.

I guess what set in my mind that DH params would be hard to deduce on my own is that my PUMA arm has mechanical mixing (wrong term?) in the wrist- moving either of the involved servos alone causes both a twist and a bend of varying rates; to move only one joint, both servos need to move synchronously at different rates.

Unrelated- I was planning to use a mesanet real-time ethernet board for this, since I have one on my mill conversion and it’s very good. I see the original poster is using ethercat- is that something I should look into / any advantages?

If I keep the stock AC servos in the arm, AND I can figure out the encoder startup commands with a logic analyzer and a working controller, AND I can hack said commands into linuxcnc, I will need to pwm “dumb” drives (3 half bridges per servo) and do the phasing in software (since the only feedback from the servos is the absolute encoders- no halls or resolvers near I can tell).

If I replace every servo in the thing with a BLDC, I can either do the same thing (half bridges and phase control in HAL/linuxcnc), or use off the shelf drives, feed them halls and +/-10vdc (lowpassed pwm), and just bring the encoders back to linuxcnc.

Any thoughts / hints on the three-halfbridges method, or other ideas?

More
11 Jul 2021 05:41 - 11 Jul 2021 05:42 #214227 by Aciera
I presume that the Motoman robot uses Yaskawa motors. If so it might be worth while to try to get some used Yaskawa drives and interface those with one of Dmitry's PCI "Mechatrolink" cards:
yurtaev.com/
Last edit: 11 Jul 2021 05:42 by Aciera.

More
11 Jul 2021 16:22 #214281 by phasefreq
That is not a bad idea- I’ll read about his stuff, thanks. I don’t know anything about yaskawa drives but they are def widely available on ebay and I can probably find their docs. I agree it’d be much less work to use them than replumb everything.

More
11 Jul 2021 17:06 #214291 by Aciera
If you know the motor types used on the robot then you might want to contact Dmitry through his website. He really knows his stuff.

More
11 Jul 2021 17:29 #214298 by dm17ry
Replied by dm17ry on topic Motoman K6SB Retrofit
i'm not that good with yaskawas... :) if it happens that the original drives are using mechatrolink then i can probably control them. otherwise i don't know how to convince newer yaskawa drives to recognize older/non-standard motors...

More
12 Jul 2021 09:26 #214375 by andypugh
I think that the STMBL might work with your motors. But the difficulty is getting a set of STMBL drives, especially with the current chip famine.

More
12 Jul 2021 09:28 #214377 by andypugh

I guess what set in my mind that DH params would be hard to deduce on my own is that my PUMA arm has mechanical mixing (wrong term?) in the wrist- moving either of the involved servos alone causes both a twist and a bend of varying rates; to move only one joint, both servos need to move synchronously at different rates.

I _think_ that this can be solved in HAL, external to the kinematics. I have looked at it in the past and decided that it would work, but didn't have long enough with the robot to get there.

Time to create page: 0.753 seconds