What do you really get for a $350 desk top engraver ?

More
19 Mar 2024 00:17 #296271 by machinedude
built a box added some lights and chips still find a way out :) just a short video cutting my makeshift vise down. i tried to cut some steps in the jaws but it did not hold the part well so plan B is to cut them down so i can make some better low-profile work holding. nothing to exciting. just trying to see what it can do and can't do.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2024 00:34 #296274 by tommylight
That is definitely NOT a 350$ desktop engraver! :)
Damn, i have to start building mine, the rails are rusting badly waiting... after i finish another Voron...

More
19 Mar 2024 02:32 #296285 by machinedude
facing i can probably do twice that cut. radial cuts with the side are a little bit more demanding. 1/2 inch depth of cut with a .020 step over seems to be about the limit right now.
i ran out of feed override to test that little bit of cutting. the first few passe are cutting at 400 IPM and the last pass is a finish pass at 200 IPM.

a bit more bang for quite a few more bucks than the $350 toy. something that can at least make some stuff.

More
19 Mar 2024 23:06 #296348 by machinedude
better removal rates with a deeper cut of .060 at 200 IPM. sometime soon i will try to see if i can get a .040 DOC @400ipm that would be faster yet

More
24 Mar 2024 18:47 #296637 by machinedude
starting my first real project with this machine to give it a real test actually making something. i would probably go about doing these different if i had more to work with but it was a good test on what i think will be a strong point with this machine. A picture of the end result and a video link if you want to see how the machine did.

Attachments:

More
05 Apr 2024 20:39 #297667 by machinedude
i came into about 200 lbs of random off cuts and have to square a lot of material so it's not so random in size. did another test with a 1/2 3 flute to see how the bigger cutter would do. The machine did fine but my homemade work holding is the weak link :) the parts are starting to lift up so not very practical but fun to watch :) .03 DOC @ 625IPM with almost full width of the tool for a stepover.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds