What do you really get for a $350 desk top engraver ?

More
26 May 2024 15:43 #301489 by machinedude
between Inkscape and blender i am making myself crazy :) i am looking to explore the more creative side of things i can do on this machine but figuring out how to do a Z axis height map from a 2d image is out of the normal box for me and proving to be a bit of a challenge for me :) 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2024 16:59 #301503 by tommylight
www.scorchworks.com
get dmap2gcode it is very easy to use and works perfectly well.

More
26 May 2024 18:47 #301511 by machinedude
seems pretty easy to work with compared to what i have been trying to work with :)

More
28 May 2024 17:56 #301694 by machinedude
i had no idea what kind of stuff you could do with a simple image in Blender until a few days ago. but i had this Stl. file in about 5 to 10 minutes in Blender.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
12 Jun 2024 10:32 - 12 Jun 2024 10:47 #302866 by machinedude
now that i have played with software i don't know very much about i went back to things i do know about and landed back in the solids  :) i can see some attractions to mesh modeling and sculpting but it lacks what i feel is control over position. So i have a hard time letting go of fusion 360 :)
i have been messing around looking to push the limits of fine details and have a plan to test things. tiny features require tiny tools so i picked up these to see how things work? here is the test subject as well :)

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Jun 2024 10:47 by machinedude.

More
12 Jun 2024 15:51 #302881 by tommylight
For depth map stuff as the dragon above, give dmap2gcode a try, it is real simple and really good at what it does, but do check the settings page and try some stuff before discarding it, you might be pleasantly surprised.
www.scorchworks.com

More
12 Jun 2024 17:39 - 12 Jun 2024 17:43 #302892 by machinedude
i'm like a squirl with my information acorns and i don't discard anything so no worries :) and i did try it the biggest hang up i had was no way to look at the tool path other than to post and load it in the machine controller but other than that small issue over all it was quick and easy and it might work at some point for me later on when i come across a use for it :) 
Last edit: 12 Jun 2024 17:43 by machinedude.

More
12 Jun 2024 18:45 #302897 by tommylight
Oh, the squirrel in Ice Age, i feel uncomfortable just thinking of the trouble it went with it's nut! :)

More
12 Jun 2024 20:30 #302901 by machinedude
i remember that movie and the part you are referring to :) lets hope my acorns are not that problematic :) and i find a use for them before i end up frozen in a block of ice :)

More
12 Jun 2024 20:51 #302903 by machinedude
this is a tool path simulation screen shot with fusion 360. just to give some perspective of how small these features are the depth of this undercut section is only .03 deep and the design in the undercut section is only ,015 in height and the radius on these features is only around .008. i see some small sections that are to small to get into but for the sizes i am working with i would say it's getting pretty darn close to 100%

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.556 seconds