Hurco KMB-IS CNC update

More
14 Jan 2021 06:34 #195288 by CORBETT
Replied by CORBETT on topic Hurco KMB-IS CNC update
Leith,

Yeah I was in the same boat... holidays and work have me busy, and unfortunately the holidays fly by too quick to get a real break. We did a very small capacity Christmas but still a lot of work.

It is good that you figured it out so quick and did not have a huge headache... I have almost bashed my face into the monitor before over problems.

Excellent, that you posted your fix as that helps anyone in need. Yep definitely need the RT kernel... if you ever decide to build LCNC from source code, you would be checking out what kernel you had installed and then patch a RT kernel, good that you quickly found the kernel problem.

I don't think LCNC will complain, because I want to say that you can build a RIP without RT for development, but I always patch the kernel for my builds as I am building for use.

Yes when you get a "LinuxCNC Errors" box, you can scroll down to the "Debug file information" and in that section it will usually give you a clue as to what the problem is. Especially if you corrupt your HAL file for some reason... or if you are tweaking your HAL file and get the code wrong, it will usually give the line number to look for in your HAL file. I use EtherCAT so I am very very familiar with that box, LOL.

The one thing I can say about the LCNC developers is that they are a God send to people like you and me. 15 or more years ago I would complain when it was EMC as I was still young and dumb... but then my Dad told me to be grateful as it was free. LCNC has came a long way from the old days. Plus honestly until the BDI (brain dead install) came along it was rather challenging to install EMC and get working. I remember being very frustrated as I was use to UNIX and NOT Linux. Then a guy built the BDI and man that was huge for me and the bulk of every non-Linux user. That was gold back then, I still have mine from way way back put up, and several other versions over the years. Seems like the guy's name was Paul Commer that I bought it from, got it on eBay in early 2000's as I joined back in 1998. I could be wrong on name, as it was a long time ago... I got real busy and stopped messing with EMC2 and then when I came back years later it was called LinuxCNC. Honestly I did not like the name at first as I always knew it as the "Enhanced Machine Controller" from NIST, and I don't like change LOL, but I am super happy with LCNC.

With that said, I know the developers have a lot on their plate. You can go check out the NARKIVE as that is where they generally hang out. There are some really good conversations to follow at times. Makes you realize how smart some of those guy's are, and how challenging it is to get bugs worked out...
I know it can get frustrating when LinuxCNC doesn't want to work as I have pulled my hair out a many a times, but I have a huge respect for everyone that helps and makes all this work... plus I cannot emphasize all the help that I have received over the years. I try to help when I can, but I definitely do not want to give wrong or miss-information and I very rarely do interact on the forum because of it... plus I only joined back up on the forum about 3 years ago. I couldn't remember my old account name.

Nothing feels better than when you figure out a harder problem and LCNC fires up correctly... There have been a few times with EtherCAT that when LCNC fired up, I swore I heard Angels "Singing" LOL LOL.

Robert
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike_Eitel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2021 15:43 #195325 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Hurco KMB-IS CNC update

And I would suggest to the LinuxCNC developers that linuxcnc should complain a little more vociferously when starting up without real time features.

Maybe, but many folk do it deliberately to check out behaviour and G-code on their ordinary PCs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CORBETT

More
21 Jan 2021 14:58 #196094 by _big_
Replied by _big_ on topic Hurco KMB-IS CNC update
A word to the wise...

As a matter of course, did an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, and now she won't boot.

Might be related to the real time kernel, or possibly the boot ROM update I did to boot off the SSD. Don't really know.

I was planning on re-imaging RPi to solve some other problems, but I guess that task has now been moved to the head of the queue.

More
21 Jan 2021 15:35 #196096 by CORBETT
Leith,

Man that sucks... I had wrote about updating in my last post and then took it out at the last minute, I wish I left it in now. On my machine controllers I don't update unless there is something that I need pretty bad. I treat them as stand alone without hooking to the net so that I don't screw anything up... I'm a real pro a screwing up.

One thing that I am big on and you may want to try... I get everything working as I like then clone my hard drive with at least 2 backup drives so that if anything goes wrong I can quickly switch a drive and get right back going. I had been buying 10pcs of 8gb Samsung SSD's for cheap, but 8gb is cutting it close to build LCNC and then build EtherCAT... so got a few 16gb models, then this last batch bought some 64gb models. If I remember correctly, it only takes about 15 minutes to clone a 16gb drive. At this point I only use SSD's since no moving parts like the traditional platter HDD.

I started doing this approach way back for two reasons... One if I need to get my machine back working asap to make parts... Second, when I build a new system and want to try something that may not work, then clone so that I can pick right up where I was at before screwing it up. Let's say that I have cloned a lot of drives as I have screwed up a lot... LOL LOL.

Robert

More
21 Jan 2021 16:50 #196102 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Hurco KMB-IS CNC update

As a matter of course, did an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, and now she won't boot.

apt-get dist-upgrade

More
21 Jan 2021 17:17 #196113 by CORBETT
Thanks Tom, will have to remember that myself even...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
21 Jan 2021 17:31 #196118 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Hurco KMB-IS CNC update
Seen that at least 20 times in the last week alone, always regarding RPI4 and always issues after running upgrade, but i do not have a RPI4 so i have no way of checking and kept my mouth/fingers shut.
On machine PC's i never use upgrade, only dist-upgrade.

More
21 Jan 2021 17:46 #196122 by CORBETT
Ok will remember that. I bought my Dad a Pi3 years ago for a little project he talked about, will have to tinker with it. Just never have had time to check it out, but been wanting to see how it does with LCNC though.

More
22 Jan 2021 00:45 #196167 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Hurco KMB-IS CNC update
You might be able to get the Pi to boot again by mounting the boot volume in a different machine and adding this line to the config.txt file.

total_mem=3072

If that doesn't work:
I made a new Pi SD card image that (on my test Pi's) does not have this problem.
I would appreciate if you could try it and report back.

www.linuxcnc.org/temp/image_2021-01-20-linuxcnc-pi4-3G.zip
The following user(s) said Thank You: _big_

More
22 Jan 2021 19:51 #196266 by CORBETT
Andy,

If Leith doesn't try out your SD image and get back with you, then I will check it out when I get some free time. I've gotten busy again, but holidays are over and hopefully can get some some of these projects finished. As always, thanks for all that you guy's do for us.

Thanks,
Robert

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds