× Forum Header

Home switches wiring / setup

More
14 Feb 2022 12:46 #234815 by remon_v
Have you seen my reply a few post above? They solution is in the grounding I think.

The PP cable came with the BOB, so I assume it’s correct.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2022 13:05 - 14 Feb 2022 13:15 #234816 by Clive S

Have you seen my reply a few post above? They solution is in the grounding I think.

The PP cable came with the BOB, so I assume it’s correct.  

There are plenty of cables that don't have all the wires connected.

I would start from again connect the 24v to the bob connect 5v to the bob (forget the usb)

Re you saying grounding are you talking about earth or the -ve of the ps

I think there is a PPort tester as well. Do you have the PC with a PPort as there are com ports that are DB25 and look like a PPort

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Parallel_Port_Tester
Last edit: 14 Feb 2022 13:15 by Clive S.

More
14 Feb 2022 13:50 - 14 Feb 2022 14:00 #234823 by remon_v
Oké… I just did something stupid and fried the BOB by connecting the GND to the - from the 24V power supply…

I ordered a new one right away, this time a green version. I’m not happy with the connecting terminals of my blue BOB.

I download the PP tester and I disconnected it… I can push all the outputs, they turn green. I’m not sure how to trigger the inputs.

I also ordered USB A male breakout boards, so I can connect a 5V power supply to it… 
Last edit: 14 Feb 2022 14:00 by remon_v.

More
14 Feb 2022 14:11 #234825 by Clive S
oops can't you get the magic smoke back in ?

I have never had any issues with those China bob's ever

re: I also ordered USB A male breakout boards, so I can connect a 5V power supply to it… 

Not sure what you mean by the above.

You can use a buck converter to convert the 24vdc to 5v dc  like the one in the pic a posted.

ground and -ve are two different things . 

Please check the pp cable

More
14 Feb 2022 14:33 #234828 by Todd Zuercher
To test inputs using the pp tester use a 470ohm resister to connect an input pin to a ground pin. The input pin should change state when grounded vs no connection. Likewise the input pin (parallel port side) on your BOB should float high (may or may not have it's own pull up voltage) and be pulled low to ground when active. I've seen some wonky cheap BOBs that didn't have sufficient pull ups to work correctly with some parallel ports and I had to add a pull up from a 5v source.

More
14 Feb 2022 14:41 #234830 by remon_v
From what I see the terminals from the green BOB look better… with blue I had some trouble with the screws.

I mean these break out boards for USB:
a.aliexpress.com/_mOmejyo

I have a 5V power supply and a buck converter, but I think I will use a 5V power supply.

More
14 Feb 2022 14:46 #234832 by remon_v
When I measured voltage from the inputs from the BOB:
9V when in open state and 0V in closed state, that should be fine right?

Are the GND’s on the BOB connected? I have 3, 1 on the inputs side, 1 on the 12/24V side (which I connected to - of my 24V power supply) and 1 next to the PC5V outputs.

The GND on the inputs side, next to P15, should I connect this to something?

More
14 Feb 2022 14:48 #234833 by Clive S

From what I see the terminals from the green BOB look better… with blue I had some trouble with the screws.

I mean these break out boards for USB:
a.aliexpress.com/_mOmejyo

I have a 5V power supply and a buck converter, but I think I will use a 5V power supply.

If you are using a 5v ps don't use the usb port

look at the pic on my bob and use those screw terminals for -ve and +ve 5v input.

More
14 Feb 2022 14:52 #234834 by remon_v
Yes I see… and you’ve connected the GND next to the PC5V with the GND next to P15, I think that will resolve my problem?

More
14 Feb 2022 15:09 #234838 by Clive S
re;
When I measured voltage from the inputs from the BOB:
9V when in open state and 0V in closed state, that should be fine right?     YES

Are the GND’s on the BOB connected? I have 3, 1 on the inputs side, 1 on the 12/24V side (which I connected to - of my 24V power supply) and 1 next to the PC5V outputs.

The GND on the inputs side, next to P15, should I connect this to something?  YOU DON'T NEED TO

Please don't use the term GND it very confusing as that could mean earth ground.

Connect the 5V  looking at the bob with the relay on RH side the last 3 terminals  are  -ve 5v 5v

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds