New component for keyboards and panels.

More
01 Mar 2021 09:37 #200527 by RotarySMP
Would you be able to interface an existing matrix key board (like this Maho example)...

... and be able to command functions like spindle on CW with button 26, while also typing numbers into the MDI with buttons like in keypad 11?
- okay crap example, as I don't know what they mean by having 9 buttons called (11).
- Also a crap example as you would really want a keypad with G, M, X, Y, Z, I, J, K, R, F, etc.

If that is what it can do, I can see plenty of use cases. It will take a pretty good documentation for non-experts to be able to use it.
Mark
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2021 10:18 #200548 by andypugh

Would you be able to interface an existing matrix key board (like this Maho example)..... and be able to command functions like spindle on CW with button 26

Yes, that is exactly the sort of thing that it is intended for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotarySMP

More
01 Mar 2021 10:23 #200558 by cmorley
You can do this already. panelui was made with that in mind - though I'm sure there are some weaknesses.

Andy's work (as I understand it) allows projection of keyboard keystrokes to the system.

More
01 Mar 2021 10:24 #200561 by RotarySMP
That is a major contribution to the community Andy. Good one.

Do you have an old keyboard from an industrial CNC to integrate? Shame I swapped my Maho panel to someone who needed it on their working Phillips.

It would be a big asset to new users (and even advanced users) to do a step by step video on how to identify a matrix key pad, how to wire it into a 7i73, and then how to integrate it into the HAL.
Mark

More
01 Mar 2021 10:30 - 01 Mar 2021 10:31 #200572 by andypugh

Ok, wikipedia just told me that in unicode there are a few different symbols:

There are at least eight different horizontal dash-like characters of varying lengths defined in Unicode

Pasting the URL above into (the very useful) hexed.it:

So something, somewhere, is converting the minus to a unicode hyphen.

It doesn't do it on my machine, which makes it hard to fix.

The toolchain takes the asciidoc-formatted linuxcnc-dev/docs/src/man/man1/sendkeys.1.txt and converts it into a troff manpage.
The manpage is then converted to HTML. (which is why the URL isn't rendered as a link). I imagine that it is the second phase that converts the minus to a hyphen.

Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Mar 2021 10:31 by andypugh.

More
01 Mar 2021 11:13 #200655 by andypugh

You can do this already. panelui was made with that in mind

Embarassingly, I had forgotten about panelui.

What sendkeys can do is either create a system keystroke from a scancode - not covered by panelui or send a keystroke when a HAL bit pin toggles - completely unrelated to panelui.

It is perfectly possible to take a 7i73 scancode into matrix_kb (to trigger bit pins) and to sendkeys (to send keystrokes) and also into panelui (to do all the things that panelui can do)

matrix_kb in matrix scan mode can output a hal-bit per key, and the scancode output can be connected to panelui (to toggle bits _and_ other things) and also to sendkeys to send keycodes.

It might make sense to add keystroke sending to panelui. This would lead to some redundancy, but having a baffling variety of ways to achieve any desired result seems to be the LinuxCNC Way.

More
01 Mar 2021 11:57 #200681 by Aciera

The toolchain takes the asciidoc-formatted linuxcnc-dev/docs/src/man/man1/sendkeys.1.txt and converts it into a troff manpage.
The manpage is then converted to HTML. (which is why the URL isn't rendered as a link). I imagine that it is the second phase that converts the minus to a hyphen.

This seems to be a known bug with UTF-8 conversions. Maybe the use of hyphen/minus should be avoided altogether.

More
02 Mar 2021 22:30 #200839 by andypugh

This seems to be a known bug with UTF-8 conversions. Maybe the use of hyphen/minus should be avoided altogether.

It's a bit late now, every HAL file out there is full of them.

More
03 Mar 2021 07:33 #200877 by Aciera

It's a bit late now, every HAL file out there is full of them.

I know. I meant for URL's, because with a link that doesn't work I automatically presume that the corresponding page got lost.

More
03 Mar 2021 10:13 - 03 Mar 2021 10:13 #200880 by andypugh

I know. I meant for URL's, because with a link that doesn't work I automatically presume that the corresponding page got lost.

Something strange is going on.

When I compile and build the docs locally the - comes out correctly,

www.bodgesoc.org/sendkeys.1.html
Last edit: 03 Mar 2021 10:13 by andypugh.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds